PDA

View Full Version : 4 runner tranny problem?

CCM Pro
12-15-2008, 10:08 AM
I have a 90 4 Runner 3.0L with auto tranny...everything ran fine in it til this ridiculous cold snap. Last night I get it started (barely) and after warming up for 20 min I get into leave and put it in reverse and basically when I gave it gas it revved up but went back a foot or so...I put it in D and same thing...almost as if I was trying to drive with E-Brake up (no it was not engaged).

I check the fluid and it is full and then all of a sudden I try again and it works fine.

Any opinions on what it may be? Or what should I do? I have never really owned an auto before (and never a Toyota) so I am clueless...is it possible it was just so cold out that the tranny needed more time to warm up?? Should I flush the fluids (I just bought it a while ago and am unsure of when it was last done). Is there some sort of tranny heater that you can plug in I read about?
Lastly, where is the best place to take my 4runner to be serviced in your opinions?

Thanks all for the help!

Tarrantula
12-15-2008, 10:39 AM
Could have been your brakes sticking.. Have you checked to see if that is the problem? You can usually tell because the car will ride up on the suspension if its sticking..

CCM Pro
12-15-2008, 12:29 PM
Never thought of that...would that be due to extreme cold?

SR240SX
12-15-2008, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by CCM Pro
Never thought of that...would that be due to extreme cold?

I'm guessing frozen brakes aswell, My pathfinder felt similar last night..felt like something was holding it back..but it moved. Sounds weird though how it didnt move at all...then just worked fine?..

SR54RNR
12-15-2008, 12:45 PM
I have a 92 4runner (5-speed v6) and I noticed the e-brake cable is sticking in this extreme cold. but I just drive down the block and jiggle the cable a bit and its fine after that.

CCM Pro
12-15-2008, 01:03 PM
Ya it felt like the e-brake was engaged but it definitely was not...it only did it the once and not since...it was not plugged in as I dont have a block heater (but will be getting one now) and it wasnt in the garage...now that its in the garage its good to go...was going to get a tranny flush but I dont see that pertaining to the problem.

CCM Pro
12-15-2008, 06:57 PM
OK...so far no problem today...BUT another weird thing happened...when I get past 100km/h the speedo starts wave back and forth and a weird noise comes. It almost sounds as if the window is cracked open slightly and there is a wind noise, but it stops as well as the speedo wavering as soon as I drop below 100.

Ever heard of that??

barmanjay
12-15-2008, 10:30 PM
its a $90 4runner,.. i would expect things like that to happen.

as for tranny,.. I bet its on it's way out,.. I wouldn't count on it to last more than 6 months,.. maybe a year.

Sounds like not enough pressure is built in the tranny on start-up,.. or maybe the govenor is sticking - this happened in an older grand cherokee of mine

CelicaST-162
12-15-2008, 11:46 PM
Are you sure the fluid is at the RIGHT level? It wouldn't hurt to replace the transmission fluid. Obviously when it's cold you want it on the low side of the cold side.

danlowteg
12-15-2008, 11:51 PM
did you check the fluid with the engine running? the fluid could also be very thick due to the cold weather and not making its way around the trans. I had the same issue with my truck this morning but 2 stalls tests got the fluid up to temp.

PS: most automatics i would recommend drain and fill every 50000km and flush every 100000km but I would check you owners manual it all depends on the fluid

CCM Pro
12-16-2008, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by CelicaST-162
Are you sure the fluid is at the RIGHT level? It wouldn't hurt to replace the transmission fluid. Obviously when it's cold you want it on the low side of the cold side.

Hey...I did not know you want it on the low side of cold...I believe it was closer to the hot level but I will double check that.

Originally posted by danlowteg
did you check the fluid with the engine running? the fluid could also be very thick due to the cold weather and not making its way around the trans. I had the same issue with my truck this morning but 2 stalls tests got the fluid up to temp.

PS: most automatics i would recommend drain and fill every 50000km and flush every 100000km but I would check you owners manual it all depends on the fluid

Yes I did check it with the engine running...I was going to get it flushed but then I have had people tell me that can actually be worse for the tranny somehow

:confused: now im confused...I probably will get it done. If I wanted to take it somewhere to get a better diagnosis where would you all recommend?

PS I accidently typed 90 $ runner and meant 90 4runner...I did not pay $90 for it otherwise I would expect this.

barmanjay
12-16-2008, 11:09 AM
hahaha

well,.. a common fix for some problems like this in some auto trannies is to pull off the tranny pan and replace the filter,.. you'll need a new gasket and new fluid.

In some cases this solves most problems with laggy trannies

Weapon_R
12-16-2008, 11:12 AM
I'd wait until it warms up a bit before you start replacing parts and fluids. The cold weather tends to make any car act funny. Park it in a warm garage overnight and see if things improve.

CCM Pro
12-16-2008, 11:34 AM
Yes I notice when I park in the garage it does not do that...so I am attributing it to the cold...wonder if there is some water/moisture in and around there???

Regardless it may not hurt to replace fluid and filter eh?

CelicaST-162
12-16-2008, 11:13 PM
Yes I notice when I park in the garage it does not do that...so I am attributing it to the cold...wonder if there is some water/moisture in and around there???

Regardless it may not hurt to replace fluid and filter eh?

You don't have to replace the filters on the Toyota's, just make sure you have a fresh filled transmission with Dexron II fluid. If your fluid is brownish in color it's recommended to flush the transmission rather than a drain and refill.

Flushing it is only better for it, should it fail afterwards after a service? It will fail sooner than later if there is something gravely wrong with it!

For example, I was almost going to get a friend look at my truck because I couldn't figure why it wouldn't shift or shift when it wasn't supposed to. Previously, I had done a service on it and had OVERFILLED it. Lesson learned!:)

Tarzan
12-17-2008, 09:48 PM
You wierd noise and waving speedo are most likely related. My speedo cable made odd noises just before it snapped as did the second used cable a few months after the first. I ponied up and bought an oem new cable and it's been happy ever since. I agree about the brakes even if you did not use the e brake the rear shoes can get wet from snow and freeze it's very common when we winter offroad. I have travelled thru puddles (aka lake) and then stopped for lunch to find my brakes frozen to the point I need 4 lo to break them free - good times!.

CCM Pro
12-18-2008, 01:59 AM
Thanks everyone for the input...I appreciate it...as long as I let it warm up it has been fine and if it is in the garage it is good to go...the speedo thing has not done it since.

All in all it has 325K but not much rust at all and the engine seems to be real good...no burning oil and runs well. I got it for only 1400 and it included 4 brand new tires which kick ass.

The only real complaint aside from the tranny freezing thing is the gas mileage is horrid haha...I mean I fill it up to full and city driving I am lucky if I get 325km to a tank:nut:

CelicaST-162
12-18-2008, 07:41 PM
What kind of tires you got? If they're the right type you can go with us on the stocker trail runs come springtime!

Sprockett
12-19-2008, 01:46 PM
Isn't the 90-95 4Runner an electric speedo? As it so happens, mine just went out...and is, the speedo/odo stopped working and I occasionally get CEL Code and flashing OD/Off light.

:(

silviak91
12-19-2008, 02:33 PM
Thanks everyone for the input...I appreciate it...as long as I let it warm up it has been fine and if it is in the garage it is good to go...the speedo thing has not done it since.

All in all it has 325K but not much rust at all and the engine seems to be real good...no burning oil and runs well. I got it for only 1400 and it included 4 brand new tires which kick ass.

The only real complaint aside from the tranny freezing thing is the gas mileage is horrid haha...I mean I fill it up to full and city driving I am lucky if I get 325km to a tank:nut:

I have a 1990 toyota surf jdm diesel $40 i get 600 km have to love your jdm. :clap:

CelicaST-162
12-19-2008, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Sprockett
Isn't the 90-95 4Runner an electric speedo? As it so happens, mine just went out...and is, the speedo/odo stopped working and I occasionally get CEL Code and flashing OD/Off light.

:(

It's good to know they're related! The speedo is run by a cable, Ryan you need to determine weather it's the upper or lower cable that broke. Good luck :) Check the bottom cable first, it's the easiest!

SR54RNR
12-22-2008, 09:08 PM

maybe time for a tune-up? I have a '92 4runner 3.0 V6 5-speed with 232 000kms and I get about 455kms per tank of city driving.
..and thats with 31x10.5 A/T tires on stock suspension/gears
on the highway I got almost 500kms out of one tank, but I almost ran it dry and stranded myself outside of hinton :facepalm:

birchy
01-02-2009, 08:00 PM
If you're having a hard time getting it figured out.. I'd run your question by the guys at yotatech.com. Crazy amount of info/knowledge on that site.