PDA

View Full Version : Informal Interview

old_school_new
12-15-2008, 01:28 PM
Hey guys, I was wondering if you had any tips/guidelines to follow when meeting for an informal interview? The meeting is with a contact from a friend. I sent my resume and just told them that I was interested in the position (not publicly posted) and I got a response saying that we should meet up this week. The position is for reasearch associate.

Thanks!

seanmond1
12-15-2008, 01:29 PM
Wear a power suit. Buy them lunch

adam c
12-15-2008, 01:37 PM
just cause it's 'informal' doesn't imply that your dress or attitude should be the same

an informal interview is a getting to know you thing, discovering who you are as a person and where your life ambition and goals are headed

fearcrest
12-15-2008, 01:39 PM
Could buy him a beer/lunch if you know he is that kind of person, this will make things alot more casual where you can start the discussion off about the day then eventually move into talking about the potential position.

If he is not this kind of person, buy him lunch/coffee, let him/her know what you can offer after briefly talking about each others day. Bring your transcripts/Resume with you and just lay it out on the table and let the guy/girl have a look. Dont forget to thank them for coming out of their way - and that you really appriciate the advice/time they spent to see what they could do for you.

Oh yes, dont forget you have to buy the lunch/coffee/beer

Brock

kutt3r
12-15-2008, 03:26 PM
I would dress well, but I would not wear a suit, jacket no tie maybe.

I have never bought anyone lunch/coffee and most certainly not beer for an informal meeting. I have offered, but never paid. Typically the hiring manager will pay as he has an expense account for this. Taking gifts for a possible position is not a position a manager wants to find himself in, will depend on the HR poilcies of the company.

As a manager, I have always paid for coffee/lunch when I am interested in picking up a body, by reference or by theft.. I had an expense account, why wouldn't I???

Standard stuff here, bring a resume and if you are eating, best table manners... I have got 2 jobs based off of 'casual lunches' people are looking to see how you behave in a relaxed setting, they are checking your manurisms.

sk8r3124
12-15-2008, 03:47 PM
What type of research associate?

old_school_new
12-15-2008, 05:16 PM
buy side

pegasus
12-15-2008, 08:10 PM
The HR will pay from experience. they will offer to pay.
Wear business casual. tie is not neccessary but the rest is. No suit either...but dress shirt dress pants and good shoes. speak in casual tone, but its still an interview.

Godfuader
12-16-2008, 11:09 PM
Good Luck buddy! :thumbsup: