PDA

View Full Version : Wii Fit

kutt3r
12-15-2008, 02:39 PM
Ok I had to start this.... bought one for the gf and she finally pulled it out and set it up, so of course I had to try it...

Well it is good to know I am obese at 16% bf, gotta love BMI... it made my Mii fat... *sigh*

The yoga so far is pretty basic poses, but offers some neat feedback.
The strength stuff is ok.
The games are silly but fun and adictive if you are competitive.

Kinda a interesting way to get people into fitness and goal setting while keeping a record of your workouts and progress.

While I dont think that it will replace the gym for me, it was a fun way to burn 20mins and I think that I might warm up in the mornings with the yoga :)

Anyone else try this?

Carlton
12-15-2008, 02:45 PM
Do you actually think you can burn fat with this game? I'm curious to know as I've never played it.

A790
12-15-2008, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Carlton
Do you actually think you can burn fat with this game? I'm curious to know as I've never played it.
If it gets your heart rate up for long enough then sure.

kutt3r
12-15-2008, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Carlton

Yes you would burn calories, would you lose weight fast, not likely, but it is better than nothing... There is stuff like running in place that yes you could, but I would substitute it for the gym.

It does help you balance, so that is an added benifit, but not nearly as intense as a yoga class.

For someone out of shape, I think doing this for 4-6 weeks then hitting the gym might
be a good idea.

You have to unlock the games and more advance stuff by 'banking time' so the more time you play the more stuff you see, I have used it for 20mins so not sure what more there is.

happydude
12-17-2008, 12:41 AM
I haven't tried Wii Fit, though I remember a guy, when Wii first came out, who made an exercise plan using Wii Sports and lost abit of weight.

There's also this guy who's apparently trying something similar.

http://www.wiiweightlossplan.com/?q=node/6

Lagerstatten.ca
12-17-2008, 08:07 AM
You can lose weight by doing anything active really. My girlfriend's uncle started using Wii Fit about 4 months ago. His daily routine was approximately:

5:00am: Wii Fit Running (30 minutes)
5:30am: Wii Fit Yoga (30 minutes)

After dinner

30 minutes: Wii Fit Running
30 minutes: Wii Fit Strength Training

In the 4 months he's lost a total of over 40 lbs! Dropped atleast a couple of pant sizes. Fucking amazing!

So yeah it does work! And it beats going out on the roads to the gym in this weather!

lilmira
12-17-2008, 09:18 AM
I lost 10 lbs even since I started playing Wii Fit regularly.
I found the best part is setting your goal and weighing yourself everyday after the routine. It helps me keep track of how much I eat.

Of course home gym or gym membership will be much more effective but they also cost more than a Wii Fit. For 90 bucks, it's great.

GQBalla
12-17-2008, 09:36 AM
Finally got to play this. And at 171 pounds I had a BMI over being over weight at 22 BMI or something.

Lol why can't the thing measure bf? But my mi age was 33.

Trying out the yoga, it was pretty similar to real yoga so that was fun.

Didn't get to try the running one. I just played the soccer, salom, ski jump, some strength stuff that seemed easy (pushup one was super easy). I also did the hula hoop one but I sucked at shakin my ass. I scored 61 spins or something. My gf got over 200 spins hehe

I can see how some will lose weight but for me it won't beat the gym.