PDA

View Full Version : Well you gotta like that!

blacklabel
12-15-2008, 05:13 PM
Haven't moved my Civic in probably 4-5 days and because its from PEI it's got no block heater. I got outside today in the freezing cold and it fired up right away! Going to get a block heater installed this Wednesday however, don't want to get stuck anytime in the future. :poosie:

Stealth22
12-15-2008, 05:54 PM
Last year we had those two days where the wind chill was below -40...I don't remember for the second night, but the first night I had plugged in my car and left the switch off inside the house, so the block heater actually wasn't powered. The car fired up the next morning, although it sounded like it was choking :rofl:

badatusrnames
12-15-2008, 06:04 PM
I've heard that block heaters really aren't necessary if you're running the proper weight oil for the conditions...

89s1
12-15-2008, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames
I've heard that block heaters really aren't necessary if you're running the proper weight oil for the conditions...

They aren't neccesary, just prevent a lot of harm done on cold starts.

That being said...below -15 not using one if your car is parked outside when you have the option to use one is just silly.

blacklabel
12-15-2008, 06:14 PM
As far as I know its pretty hard to start you car without a block heater in these harsh conditions. We live in Calgary I plan on having the car for a few more years its probably a good idea to have a block heater.

mekeni
12-15-2008, 06:21 PM
yup, if you have access to it, use it.

Kloubek
12-15-2008, 06:24 PM
Honestly OP, I would not have bothered! If your car starts in these extreme conditions, you can expect it to start in better conditions too! Maybe you have a brand new civic... I dunno.

For those who don't know: The problem with cold starts is that your oil is thick. Picking a lighter weight in this weather is a good idea. But even still, when it settles to the bottom of your crankcase and you start your engine up, it takes a while for it to heat up, distribute properly, and lubricate as it should.

During this time, the engine receives more wear. Some say a huge portion of the wear on an engine during it's lifespan is just on startup. Others believe the thin oil coating which remains stuck on is good enough protection. In this cold, I doubt it.

By all rights though, ALL cars should start properly in this weather. If not, then your car is likely not in perfect shape. Either the battery doesn't have the power (I'm surprised yours did OP), or something else with the engine, air, or fuel delivery.

blacklabel
12-15-2008, 08:54 PM
I'm going to take another look under the hood but I'm almost positive this car has no block heater 99 civic dx. I couldn't find the plug in anywhere. I never even asked what it would cost for the install.. What do you think its going to cost?

rc2002
12-15-2008, 11:46 PM
Just look on the block where it screws in and then follow it.

It would be pretty embarrassing to bring your car in to get a block heater put in if you already have one.

Cooked Rice
12-16-2008, 02:51 AM
Use a timer. Helps save you money on those energy bills. Block heaters are good to have as mentioned. It's car starters which you don't need. Really on a typical -15/-20 day, 30 seconds is all it takes before you can get going (assuming you have the correct weight of oil, 0W, 5W). Then stay below 3000 revs until the temp gauge starts reaching the bottom of the scale.

rockanrepublic
12-16-2008, 05:11 AM
id go get an oil change if you cant do it yourself:thumbsup:
and have a storng battery you will do fine unless its one of those -45 days form last winter.
this being said i would like to get a block heater too are they hard to install?

realazy
12-16-2008, 11:35 AM
Where would you find such a timer? I assume it goes on the plug and you set when it goes on? Would it be ok in this weather outside?

urban.one
12-16-2008, 11:43 AM
Homedepot, Canadian Tire etc.

Make sure its rated for outdoor use and 3 pronged if your block heater is.

Originally posted by realazy
Where would you find such a timer? I assume it goes on the plug and you set when it goes on? Would it be ok in this weather outside?

94boosted
12-16-2008, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by rockanrepublic
id go get an oil change if you cant do it yourself:thumbsup:
and have a storng battery you will do fine unless its one of those -45 days form last winter.
this being said i would like to get a block heater too are they hard to install?

No they are not to hard to instal the freeze plug ones anyway.

timmyotools
12-16-2008, 01:48 PM
gotta love that!

shin0bi
12-17-2008, 01:02 AM
I got a cheapo block heater that clips on magnetically because last year's little stint of -45 temps caused my car to sieze (And subsequently cost me $65 a day in cab fare getting to and from work. x 3 days)

Although I was a retard and was running on less than 1/8 a tank of fuel at the time. (Lesson learned)