PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki out of WRC, Subaru expected to pull out tomorrow

rage2
12-16-2008, 01:41 AM
http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssConsumerGoodsAndRetailNews/idUSSP20627520081215

With Suzuki and Subaru out, only Citroen left for manufacturer teams. With Ford in trouble (the other 3 teams are private Ford teams), it means that there may be no WRC at all next year.

Another one gone... bye bye WRC... bye bye motorsports :(.

Who's next?

buh_buh
12-16-2008, 02:15 AM
hm... could this be a move in the footsteps of Honda? One big manufacturer has pulled out in forseeing bad times ahead, so other manufacturers feel they should also or at ease with doing it now?

l/l/rX
12-16-2008, 02:32 AM
where did it say subaru is expected to pull out? link?

if it does happen tomorrow, please post a link!

al-ti2d
12-16-2008, 02:33 AM
well Honda did state that they would save 900+ million dollars from pulling out.. so I wouldn't blame any other car manufacturer for following in their footsteps with the way the economy is right now

Jay911
12-16-2008, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by l/l/rX
where did it say subaru is expected to pull out? link?

if it does happen tomorrow, please post a link!

Like I said on Nabisco, warm up that fat lady, FIA. :(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/world_rally/7785299.stm

BBC News

Subaru pull out of world rallying

Subaru have become the latest team to withdraw from next year's World Rally Championship as the economic downturn continues to hit motorsport hard.

rage2
12-16-2008, 07:50 AM
Thx for the link, I went to sleep before the official announcement.

schocker
12-16-2008, 08:39 AM
That is a huge blow for the WRC. I used to be a big fan back in the day, now that companies are dropping out of motorsports at such a rate, makes you wonder what will happen. :thumbsdow

hampstor
12-16-2008, 09:43 AM
PRESS RELEASE

FHI to withdraw from FIA WRC after 2008 season

Tokyo, December 16, 2008 – Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI), the maker of Subaru automobiles, today announced the withdrawal from the FIA World Rally Championship (WRC) at the end of the 2008 season.

FHI has participated in the WRC together with Prodrive, a motorsports and automotive engineering group in the UK, over the past 19 years to pursue its goal and philosophy in motor sports activities to enhance Subaru brand awareness by showing that Subaru vehicles offer safe, comfortable and pleasurable driving no matter the weather or road conditions, featuring Horizontally-Opposed engine and the Symmetrical All-Wheel drive system as its core technologies, and to transfer results of race-tested technical improvements into Subaru passenger vehicles.

Subaru has won three manufacturer's championship titles and three driver's championship titles in its history of rally racing. This has helped enhance the value of the Subaru brand as well as the sales expansion of Subaru vehicles all over the world.

FHI considers it has achieved its original target in WRC participation. However, while considering positioning the WRC activity in Subaru branding strategy towards the future, our business environment has been dramatically changed due to the quick deterioration of the global economy. In order to optimize the management resources and to strengthen further the Subaru brand, FHI decided to withdraw from WRC activities at the earliest timing.

As regards future involvement in rally activities, FHI will continue to support teams and drivers that participate in P-WRC or the Group N category.

President Mori commented that reaching this decision has been an extremely difficult task, not least with regards to the countless Subaru fans that for many years have cheered the legendary Subaru blue liveried Impreza World Rally Car; "We would like to express our sincere appreciation for our fans' strong and loyal support worldwide. They will remain an invaluable treasure for us."

Capitalizing on the priceless experience gained throughout the history in the WRC field, FHI will continue to offer Subaru customers products that integrate sheer excitement, safe, comfortable and reliable driving, respect of the global environment and peace of mind based on its philosophy of "Customer comes first."

:cry:

Eleanor
12-16-2008, 09:47 AM
Wow, sad day for motorsports :(

I hope WRC doesn't go under, it's the only thing us Frenchies are good at :rofl:

BlackArcher101
12-16-2008, 09:58 AM
DAMNIT :cry:

Anyone else think this will actually end up costing them more as rallying, specifically the WRC really helped bring attention to the cars and probably brought more sales than they will save?

civic_stylez
12-16-2008, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101
DAMNIT :cry:

Anyone else think this will actually end up costing them more as rallying, specifically the WRC really helped bring attention to the cars and probably brought more sales than they will save?

For Subaru especially, WRC was a major influence for people to buy their cars..look at ford, suzuki and subaru commercials...ALL of them show WRC footage to promote their vehicles... i dont see it being a big positive for any of the makers. But in times of economic uncertainty, you do what you have to do to cut costs....

EM1FTW
12-16-2008, 10:21 AM
I really hope WRC doesnt go under :(

that would be a very sad day for motorsports indeed

Xtrema
12-16-2008, 11:05 AM
The funny thing is, NASCAR seems to be ok even when the Big 3 are close to bankruptcy.

Toms-SC
12-16-2008, 11:21 AM
Terrible end to WRC :(

Mr_ET
12-16-2008, 11:24 AM
I think Subaru is trying to get away from the whole WRC image and to get more "boring" and mainstream like Toyota.

That is also why the current WRX looks the way it looks.

WRC will survive but they will probably put more restricted spec car classes in place to cut costs and still keep everything entertaining.

Look for cars to go slower for a few months/year until the economy gets better and then they'll all get back in the game.

JAYMEZ
12-16-2008, 11:58 AM
Wow , that really sucks , bye bye WRC... Hmmm maybe WRX's and STis will start to look like normal cars now lol?

cloud7
12-16-2008, 12:10 PM
So will David Richards now pursue the Honda F1 team, since he is out of WRC next year?

Canmorite
12-16-2008, 12:17 PM
Nooooooo!

I can understand why they're doing it, just like Honda with F1 but it's just sad to see. Subaru and WRC go hand in hand. They'll be back.

sneek
12-16-2008, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
The funny thing is, NASCAR seems to be ok even when the Big 3 are close to bankruptcy.

LOL that is kind of strange now if you think about it that way. I am guessing most of the funding comes from advertising, but I do imagine NASCAR still costs the manufacturers a pretty penny or two.

eur0
12-16-2008, 12:36 PM
Just read about this on autoblog, pretty insane and yes it's a sad day for Subaru :confused:

That.Guy.S30
12-16-2008, 12:47 PM
there are new rules for WRC 2010.
S2000 Specs, not really worth it for subaru anyways.
at least group N will still be alive and well. long live STi Spec C/RA

herragge
12-16-2008, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Hmm I never thought about that. There would be a shit storm in America if NASCAR went bust. Stupid yankees.

The Cosworth
12-16-2008, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs

See Honda was unprepared for the F1 season, Subaru wasnt impressed with the WRC rule changes.

I think they are just finding it convenient to pull out right now.

Xtrema
12-16-2008, 07:01 PM
haha, I guess I'm not the only one wondering about this:

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/12/16/if-automakers-get-a-bailout-should-nascar-die/

hjr
12-18-2008, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Mr_ET
WRC will survive but they will probably put more restricted spec car classes in place to cut costs and still keep everything entertaining.

Look for cars to go slower for a few months/year until the economy gets better and then they'll all get back in the game.

Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs

The new s2000 (wrc spec) would allow for turbo's but basically remove all driver aids such as traction control, active diffs, launch control, ect. This will make the cars more entertaining to watch and therefore support resurgent growth in the wrc brand. The problem is that its too late. The IRC is much more entertaining and already works on s2000 spec cars. A lot of viewership has switched from the wrc to the irc in the last few years and they snagged Peugeot when it left wrc. Also, the fiat abarth team is rad.

(http://www.ircseries.com/html/) Intercontinental Rally Challenge

http://rallye-info.com/images/photos/general/207-S2000/207a.jpg

http://cache.jalopnik.com/assets/resources/2007/02/abarth_punto.jpg