PDA

View Full Version : Fish and Chips

swak
12-16-2008, 03:16 AM
Wheres a good place to go?

I usually frequent 'Pelican Pier' when im having a craving for good fish and chips...
But anyone else have any other good recommendations?

jswankster
12-16-2008, 03:18 AM
Tuesdays at Joey`s Only... ALL YOU CAN EAT!

hoamic11
12-16-2008, 09:16 AM
Boyd's seafood, I'm a fan of their fish and chips. :thumbsup:

cityhunter2501
12-16-2008, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by jswankster
Tuesdays at Joey`s Only... ALL YOU CAN EAT!

not really impressed with Joey's fish but can never go wrong with all you can eat.

i like the one in deerfoot mall

The_Rural_Juror
12-16-2008, 09:36 AM
Chowder House downtown. They are only open for lunch.

nonlinear
12-16-2008, 09:37 AM
i'm by no means an expert on fish and chips, but some of the best i've EVER had are at Sam McGuire's Irish Pub on Heritage and MacLeod (in the strip mall on top of that hill). They are just cod, but it's fresh and dipped in their homemade beer batter (rickard's red). the fish is really thick and moist, and they give you a big bowl of tartar sauce with it (i usually find that most places don't give you enough sauce so you run out, but you don't even use half of what they give you at Sam's LOL). The fries are are good too (skin on). not sure if they are hand cut or not, but just douse them in vinegar and you're ready to rock.

i think they're only like $8.99 or something ridiculous like that, and they often have them on special too. they're way better than any i've had in calgary, especially the halibut fish and chips i tried at Black Swan down the road, that turned out to be nasty and frozen and about 3 mm thick :barf:

the one thing about sam mcguire's is that the owners are former IRA members, and they have 'terrorist' pictures and stuff hanging all over the walls. it doesn't bother me, cause i'm not irish and could give a fuck about religion, but the server/bartender girl there has said that some irish people come in there, look at the walls, get super offended, and leave. hahaha

Kritafo
12-16-2008, 09:41 AM
did anyone have a chance to eat at the fish and chip place that was on 17th ave up by liquidation world. It was in the old pizza hut location. It didn't last, it was East Coast style they were good. It's a shame it didn't go over, now it's Il Pescatore.

nonlinear
12-16-2008, 09:42 AM
there is also a fish and chips specialty place on 4th st and 40 ave NW next to stavros. i've never been there, although I lived basically right behind it for about 6 years. but it's been there for a long time, so that says something i guess.

n1zm0
12-16-2008, 09:47 AM
I find Joeys to be insanely greasy, like to the point where after you eat it you feel like a bag of shit.. kinda like McDicks.
But that might be cause at my old job on saturdays they'd order fish n chips for 21 ppl and an order like that first thing in the morning, i highly doubt the cook is going to be all about quality.

Originally posted by nonlinear
the one thing about sam mcguire's is that the owners are IRA members, and they have 'terrorist' pictures and stuff hanging all over the walls. it doesn't bother me, cause i'm not irish and could give a fuck about religion, but the server/bartender girl there has said that some irish people come in there, look at the walls, get super offended, and leave. hahaha

lol crazy, 10$ to the first guy who goes in there wearing orange all over

nonlinear
12-16-2008, 09:55 AM
haha, why does orange mean something? i've actually been in there wearing a blaze orange hoody. it was a saturday night with a live band and the place was packed, should i have gotten my ass kicked hahaha

sputnik
12-16-2008, 10:01 AM
There is a place called "Sea" on High Street in Mckenzie Towne.

Great fish and chips.

n1zm0
12-16-2008, 10:02 AM
orange=protestants 'orange order' etc ppl who want to keep it British

green=catholics 'IRA' nationalistic Irish ppl

it's like soccer hooliganism to the max violence.. but religion lol

Davetronz
12-16-2008, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

Great fish and chips.
I give my recommendation to Sea as well. I go there a few times a month and get takeout. I LOVE their halibut burger, but the fish and chips are great too.
The popcorn shrimp have some kick to them!
If its cold outside, try the seafood chowder, I've NEVER been disappointed.

RY213
12-16-2008, 02:30 PM
The fish and chips in The Coach and Horses? (i think thats the name) by Millrise Sobeys is really good, they use a beer batter as well...

GQBalla
12-16-2008, 02:44 PM
Theres also a place on 14th st near across from the cop station.

i think its called pelican pier!?!

QuasarCav
12-16-2008, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by swak
Wheres a good place to go?

I usually frequent 'Pelican Pier' when im having a craving for good fish and chips...
But anyone else have any other good recommendations?

Originally posted by GQBalla
Theres also a place on 14th st near across from the cop station.

i think its called pelican pier!?!

swak
12-16-2008, 02:56 PM
Sam Mcquires sounds really good...
thanks for all the suggestions!

...fish and chips done right, is freakin rad.

GQBalla
12-16-2008, 03:06 PM
pelican pier has halibut fish and chips too

Wraith
12-16-2008, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Great fish and chips.

Yep!

R-Audi
12-16-2008, 03:51 PM
Ship and Anchor!

Boat
12-16-2008, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by hoamic11
Boyd's seafood, I'm a fan of their fish and chips. :thumbsup:

Definitely the best, if you are baller get the halibut; its like 18 bucks for 2 or 3 pieces w/ fries but it is damn good. I'm sure the cod is great too.

R154
12-16-2008, 04:15 PM
Billingsgate seafood market off uxbridge and 16th ave. Close to the foothills hospital.

[rusell peters]Take it. Take it and go.[/rusell peters]

toyboy88
12-16-2008, 07:50 PM
British fish & chips - in deerfoot mall!

:thumbsup: