PDA

View Full Version : World Health Club Gym Membership

SteveMo600
12-16-2008, 04:21 AM
Just wanted some feedback from those who are already members. I live the south so I'd be going to the WHC in Midnapore and the one off Anderson at Southland.

People like the gym? Good bang for their buck? Any alternative suggestions?

TC06
12-16-2008, 06:31 AM
I go to the one in Edgemont(biggest WHC of the city), has everything I need. One thing I don't like is that it's not 24 hours, most of them open at 5AM and close at 12AM.

Point4Dave
12-16-2008, 08:40 AM
I've been at Richmond for years (even though I moved near the Edgemont one a cpl years ago, I got used to it).
Not a bad place, but I do wish there was more 24hr ones.

Daxin
12-16-2008, 08:57 AM
I go to the one in Midnapore and it's pretty good. The only thing that I don't like is the hours. It is 6am to 11pm on weekdays and on the weekends, it's 8am to 6pm. I only wish it stayed open longer since I work on the weekends til 5pm.

Mibz
12-16-2008, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Daxin
I go to the one in Midnapore and it's pretty good. The only thing that I don't like is the hours. It is 6am to 11pm on weekdays and on the weekends, it's 8am to 6pm. I only wish it stayed open longer since I work on the weekends til 5pm. +1

89coupe
12-16-2008, 03:56 PM
I go to the one on McLeod Tr. Its open 24hrs which is great, as I tend to work out quite late at night, its basically dead when I go. I love it!

SteveMo600
12-16-2008, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe
I go to the one on McLeod Tr. Its open 24hrs which is great, as I tend to work out quite late at night, its basically dead when I go. I love it!

Which one on Macleod is 24 hours? Is it the large one approximately at Chinook Centre?

1-Bar
12-17-2008, 11:09 AM
Southland, its by the Anderson train station.....right beside the Superstore

89coupe
12-17-2008, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by SteveMo600

Which one on Macleod is 24 hours? Is it the large one approximately at Chinook Centre?

4344 MacLeod Trail SW

Tik-Tok
12-17-2008, 11:57 AM
I used to be a member, I enjoyed the one at Southland/Mcleod, good equipment, and the times of day I went, it was pretty quiet.

When they bought California fitness (the 4344 Macleod trail one), I tried it, and didn't like their stuff at all. Always full of grunting guido's, anytime of day. That was several years ago though, so they may have gotten better.

civic_rida
12-17-2008, 01:43 PM
the one by southland is not 24 hrs. I go there its alright.

SteveMo600
12-17-2008, 08:56 PM
Are the gyms really busy? I've had annuals at both the South Y and MRC, both pissed me off cause they're so busy, you spend half the time waiting for machines and such.

Solid TVs and such around the cardio machines?

1-Bar
12-17-2008, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by civic_rida
the one by southland is not 24 hrs. I go there its alright.

when I worked there it was for the weekdays only......

CivicTunr
12-18-2008, 01:09 AM
i go to north hill WHC and macleod trail WHC. i like both, i go to the north hill one when im at school (sait) as i can only fit working out during lunch, and the sait gym is to busy.

also i go to sask alot to visit friends/family, so its nice being to work out there for free at other clubs joined w/ them.

sexualbanana
12-21-2008, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe

4344 MacLeod Trail SW

Right by the Husky and the Korean BBQ place. 24 hr gyms are awesome. Though they weren't 24/7. Just 24 hours Sunday to Thursday, I think.

Ajay
12-21-2008, 11:10 PM
I signed up with the Edgemont one. I have no complaints, it's never super busy there and they have squash courts.

SteveMo600
12-22-2008, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

Right by the Husky and the Korean BBQ place. 24 hr gyms are awesome. Though they weren't 24/7. Just 24 hours Sunday to Thursday, I think.

So does the the WHC at 4344 just have regular hours on Friday and Saturday?

cbinteg
12-23-2008, 10:30 AM
Are the gyms really busy? I've had annuals at both the South Y and MRC, both pissed me off cause they're so busy, you spend half the time waiting for machines and such.

Solid TVs and such around the cardio machines?

The gym is ok depending on when you go, I usually go to that gym on the weekends and its dead.

As for the cardio machines, they're definitely not as good as the Shawnessey WHC or the downtown ones (where they have their own TVs on each machine). The Midnapore set up still has communal TVs pre-set to certain channels and you tune in through their headphone plugins.

slowboy
12-26-2008, 08:46 AM
are any of them open today (Dec 26)?

civic_rida
12-26-2008, 09:54 AM
hope so i was going to go

civic_rida
12-26-2008, 12:02 PM
southport is open till 6

Ramdawg
01-21-2009, 05:52 PM
I go to the one in edgemont, the only problem is that the parking is terrible and the door to the over flow lot closes at 9pm which blows. Other wise pretty good place to workout. Milf central during the day.

Toma
01-21-2009, 06:01 PM
I go to North Hill sometimes since I live near it... it's not bad, been going there since it was like family fitness centre or some shit...

I prefer Macleod and 42nd or so ave... the 24 hour one. I love the 24 hours weekdays, but yeah, 10pm is to early Fridays to close, and 8 pm is too early weekends.

Toma
01-21-2009, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Ramdawg
Milf central during the day.
Ree-eeee-eeealy??

Well, I know where I'll be working out tomorrow ;)

Daxin
01-22-2009, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Ramdawg
I go to the one in edgemont, the only problem is that the parking is terrible and the door to the over flow lot closes at 9pm which blows. Other wise pretty good place to workout. Milf central during the day.

Is the manager still Catarina? She used to manage over at midnapore before Edgemont.

Godfuader
01-22-2009, 12:09 PM
Im in the midst of starting my membership Jan 30. I have a corporate discount that will put me around $50/mth on a 1 year term. How much are the rest of you paying for your WHC dues?

SteveMo600
01-27-2009, 12:19 AM
I think memberships vary between $50-$60 depending on any sort of deals or student rates etc.

If anybody is planning on getting a WHC membership, I would really recommend it. The locations have all been great and the people have been helpful and all.

89coupe
01-27-2009, 12:46 AM
The company I work for pays my membership, thank goodness. I believe the cost is $624/year

in*10*se
01-27-2009, 01:27 AM
900ish at WHC fifth ave place right now w/ new years rates and corp discount.
ugh, so pricey

SteveMo600
01-27-2009, 04:10 AM
It's pricey but just as expensive as a Gold's Membership or Talisman etc.

Also, you're able to claim I believe $500 of tax free fitness for 09' which should help make it more justifiable to get a membership.

I like the WHC environment much better than MRC, where I was before, or Gold's. People seem to be more into getting in shape rather than impressing the world.

Daxin
01-27-2009, 09:00 AM
Also, you're able to claim I believe $500 of tax free fitness for 09' which should help make it more justifiable to get a membership.

I believe, only children are able to claim for fitness, but let me know if this is true. I'd like to be able to claim for fitness as well.

cornelius85
01-27-2009, 10:25 AM
did a search and found this. I wonder when this would take effect

Province soon offering $500 fitness tax credit
Posted 21 days ago

By Tyler Zdan

Edson Leader

Thanks to a provincial MLA, Albertans could soon be sweating their way to a $500 tax credit.

Calgary-Lougheed MLA Dave Rodney recently introduced a private member’s bill which would allow each Albertan to claim up to $500 in fitness expenses on his or her provincial taxes.

“The bill furthers one of the government’s most important objectives: to promote healthy living in our province,” Rodney told the Alberta legislature.

“[The bill] rewards good behaviour by providing incentives ... for programs which are geared toward ongoing sustained physical activity,” he said.

“It’s a good-news piece of legislation designed to reward those who invest in their own health”

The bill recently passed a third reading, taking it one step closer to becoming law.

The federal government already offers a $500 fitness tax credit for children, which allows parents to claim their children's’ fitness expenses.

Rodney’s bill, however, would apply to all Albertans, regardless of age.

Continued After Advertisement Below

Advertisement

Town of Edson recreation co-ordinator Andrea Laboucane said that she thinks the tax credit will allow more locals to get out and get in shape.

“I think it will [allow more people to participate in fitness programs],” Laboucane said.

“[The town’s recreation department] does evaluations at the end of our fitness programs, and cost is usually one of the top barriers, so if there was a tax credit, maybe more people would be able to come out to the programs.”

Rodney told the legislature that he sees the bill as an effective means for combatting rising levels of inactivity and obesity.

“Being physically active is the easiest, most natural way of improving our health and preventing disease and injury,” he said.

“The value of an incentive like this is that it will motivate and support and encourage people to make better, healthier choices, which reduce disease and help prevent injury.”

The bill still needs to be proclaimed law before it takes effect.

http://www.hintonparklander.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1373699&auth=

in*10*se
01-27-2009, 10:49 AM
It's pricey but just as expensive as a Gold's Membership or Talisman etc.

I like the WHC environment much better than MRC, where I was before, or Gold's. People seem to be more into getting in shape rather than impressing the world.

900ish isn't even close to talismans' 600ish.
i dunno about golds though... :dunno:

ahh well... here's to a fitter 2009 :D

timdog
01-27-2009, 01:05 PM
I go to the downtown WHC (Bay club). it's okay, but pretty small and always crazy busy between Monday and Wednesday. On thursday, friday and saturday though, it's usually pretty dead. it has everything i need but nothing fancy like the edgemont club. If you are a member at the downtown one you pay extra and you can go to any of the WHCs, so on the weekends I go to the Macleod Trail one which is basically the same, just bigger.

Talisman is too big IMO, and there alot of punk kids which you don't get as much of at the downtown WHC. It sounds stupid but that does kind of matter to me, the people at WHC are friendly but also usually just keep to themselves and are there to workout. it seems to me like teenagers just go to hang out at the talisman and annoy everybody.

GREENBOY
01-27-2009, 02:19 PM
Used to go to Mcleod. My only issue was that it seemed dirty and not looked after. It had seriously rank carpet in the mens locker room, which is just gross to have on a locker room floor in my opinion. Also the dick that gave me all the BS and 'sold me' the membership never even acknowledged me once after I'd signed the contract. They're too desperate to sell memberships there, which I hated. I got out of there after a year. Not a bad monthly price though and I guess the equipment was good.

SteveMo600
01-27-2009, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by in*10*se

900ish isn't even close to talismans' 600ish.
i dunno about golds though... :dunno:

ahh well... here's to a fitter 2009 :D

$900? I pay $54 a month at WHC, which comes to just around Talisman's $600.

I also like at WHC you can go to any location. Talisman is limited to just 1 gym.

Godfuader
01-27-2009, 07:10 PM
Just got my WHC corporate rates:
For non-downtown locations it works out to $44.40/mth
For Executive membership (includes downtown) $47.40/mth.

Is it worth the extra $3 to have access downtown even if I work NW and plan on going to Edgemont exclusively. Does Executive membeship get you towel service or any other perks.

in*10*se
01-27-2009, 11:11 PM
wow i am getting ripped.
80 bucks dt location fifth ave WHC... fuck me.

timdog
01-28-2009, 10:20 AM
yeah i wish i could score those corporate rates. i am paying something like 74 bucks a month or so for the WHC executive membership.