PDA

View Full Version : Review of a 4 port USB hub and USB Bluetooth Dongle (BudgetGadgets)

nobb
12-16-2008, 08:46 AM
BudgetGadgets was nice enough to send me free samples to review. In return, I am doing a review of the products sent. This was the USB Bluetooth dongle they had sent:
http://www.budgetgadgets.com/tiny-bluetooth-adapter-dongle-laptop-p-2145.html

I had also requested a 7 port USB hub:
http://www.budgetgadgets.com/aluminum-alloy-desktop-7port-p-2477.html

But instead, they sent this instead:
http://www.budgetgadgets.com/-p-4180.html

A 4 port USB hub with led lights to act as a desk lamp. Oh well, it was free so I can complain too much.

Starting off with the bluetooth dongle. It is indeed very tiny. Easy to get lost. But this would be great on a laptop that does not have bluetooth. Since the dongle is very inconspicuous, you wont have a big rectangle sticking out from your usb port which could be easily broken off. The packaging does advertise it to be Vista compatible. I plugged it into my Vista laptop and indeed it is automatically recognized. It appears to go through the native Vista bluetooth drivers, which work very well. The downside is that the dongle did NOT come with any driver CD. The primary reason for getting this dongle was to use in my CarPC, which is running windows XP. I am running a front end called Centrafuse which has bluetooth support. I was hoping to get this dongle to work with Centrafuse so that I could pair up my Windows Mobile Smartphone to the car and receive/make calls handsfree in the car via the CarPC. Well, due to the lack of drivers XP did not recognize the device, so it is pretty much useless to me for this application. Ill probably try to look on the internet for drivers.

As for the USB hub, it feels very cheap. Taking it apart reveals how incredibly cheap this thing is. Surprisingly, there are four button cell batteries inside which power the 3 bulb led light. So it is NOT powered off USB power as you might think. The advantage of this is that you dont suck up USB power, which is limited to 500mA per port). Now the disadvantage is obvious...you will have to replace the batteries. But looking at the wiring closer, it appears the battery power is linked in PARALLEL to the USB power. The four button cells in series would put out about 6V, whereas the USB is 5V. I am GLAD I took this thing apart before plugging it into the computer, because looking at the wiring, I definitely would not feel comfortable plugging this piece of crap into my computer. Who knows what would happen when you link the 6V to the 5V usb hub...maybe fry something on the laptop? Anyways I took out the batteries first before plugging it in for testing. I did not feel comfortable plugging this in directly to the laptop (due to the lack of build quality), so I plugged it into another hub, which is connected to the laptop. Results? Does not work at all. Nothing recognized on the computer. I suppose there might be a chance that it would work if I plugged it directly into the laptop instead. But I am definitely not going to take the risk and plug this thing into my $1000 laptop. Ive fried a motherboard once because I plugged in a crappy usb device. Luckily it was an old junk motherboard that I didnt pay for.

As for BudgetGadgets, I am sure they are a good seller with other good products that should work. However, as a summary, the usb hub I received was junk. The usb bluetooth dongle works with Vista, but some effort will be required to get it working on XP. Hope you guys have better luck with their other products.

The_Rural_Juror
12-16-2008, 08:59 AM
Talk about backfire. Nice honest review.

treg50
12-16-2008, 09:22 AM
The honesty is appreciated.

I was wondering then how does a seller like them respond to honest reviews like yours? Do they hesistate to give you products in the future?

nobb
12-16-2008, 09:28 AM
Who knows. Im not trying to say BudgetGadgets is bad or anything, dont get me wrong. The service rep who contacted me was very nice and professional. Perfect english too. The problem doesnt seem to be BudgetGadgets, but rather, where they are sourcing the products. But as with any cheap made in china products you buy from the internet, I guess you have to realize they are often built poorly which is why they come so cheap. The usb hub looked like it was soldered together by hand, and surely there is bound to be mess ups.

em2ab
12-16-2008, 10:36 AM
I'm in the market for a cheap Bluetooth dongle now, thanks. I need one for the car as well (Maheriano on mp3car) and one for at home. Can I buy that dongle from you and see if it'll work on my Ubuntu desktop?

nobb
12-16-2008, 10:42 AM
Im going to try a few other methods to see if I can get it working with Centrafuse first. If I cant get it working, you can have it for free if you pick it up.

em2ab
12-16-2008, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by nobb
Im going to try a few other methods to see if I can get it working with Centrafuse first. If I cant get it working, you can have it for free if you pick it up.

:love:

I'm going to try and pair my Wiimote to use it as an infrared mouse on my Ubuntu machine so you'll be a contributor to innovation. Just trying to motivate you!

nobb
12-17-2008, 04:34 PM
Hehe, sorry. Unfortunately I just managed to get it working with CF! Just had to install Bluesoleil. Now I just need to figure out how to get it to dial numbers and answer calls with the smartphone...

But good luck with the whole wii thing.

em2ab
12-17-2008, 04:51 PM
It uses BlueSoleil drivers? You're doomed......those things don't work at all. I already have a BlueSoleil dongle here and I can't give it away.

nobb
12-17-2008, 11:04 PM
Are you kidding, Ive got it all paired up, it works great. I highly recommend this bluetooth dongle actually, it's not bad for $5. XP users might want to find a copy of bluesoleil.

Now the only thing stopping me from getting handsfree working is if I could get the stupid mic volume working. Spent half an hour soldering and installing the mic in the freezing cold, only to not get it working. But that's a problem with my setup somewhere, not the bluetooth dongle's fault.

em2ab
12-17-2008, 11:08 PM
That's weird, I got another BlueSoleil I'm trying to avoid like herpes. It's just sitting here and won't work at all with my system. I don't think I've met a Linux user on the forums at all that isn't upset with their BlueSoleil dongle. Thanks for the offer though!

copynpaste
12-18-2008, 02:55 PM
Maybe its just me but why cant I find a decently priced USB hub anywhere? Its always $50+...im not paying that much for a simple 4 port hub.

And does it really matter if the hub is powered or not?

em2ab
12-18-2008, 03:47 PM
The 5 volt rail on your power supply is what powers your USB devices. Depending on how many watts your devices draw collectively will determine whether or not you need a power hub. If you use a non powered hub and it draws too much power, you risk damage to your machine and should consider a hub which is powered externally. But if you think it won't draw too much power you should be fine.

Grogador
12-18-2008, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by copynpaste
And does it really matter if the hub is powered or not?

Depends how many devices you want to plug into it, and how much power they draw. Each port (on your machine) can supply 500mA, so a bus-powered hub might top out if, say, you plug five PDA's into it or try to charge five drained devices (iPods, cameras, PDAs, etc) at the same time. Things like webcams, memory sticks and mice are low-power (~100mA spec) and will be fine.

Worst that will happen is an "over power" message, and the port will be disabled until you unplug the device. If you have any problems or doubts, just get an externally powered hub. Dell had a special on them for $5 recently, I got six :D

em2ab
12-18-2008, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Grogador
Worst that will happen is an "over power" message, and the port will be disabled until you unplug the device.
You could overload the rail and damage the board. Or even set something on fire.

Grogador
12-18-2008, 04:31 PM
If the board fails from that, it deserved to. I don't have a USB-powered toaster anyway...