PDA

View Full Version : visa w/ rewards

jwslam
12-16-2008, 03:40 PM
so right now i have a td green card (visa)
and a bmo mosaik (mc) with airmiles

i was wondering what's the best option if i'm looking for a visa card with rewards. i honestly could care less what, but i'm looking for the best option
like i was looking at the bestbuy card and that gives about $5 back per 400 you spend which i think that's a pretty good deal but what else would be?

06civic
12-16-2008, 03:47 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/239755/best-cashback-reward-credit-cards/

Seems like everyone is sayign the RBC or TD Infinite are the best

jwslam
12-16-2008, 03:49 PM
sorry...
guess i should have done a search.

jwslam
12-16-2008, 03:52 PM
so i did a quick skim of the sites for both rbc and td
but i really didn't find this info

are td/rbc points ONLY for travel. ie airmiles i can get stuff like electronics or movie tickets or whatnot

06civic
12-16-2008, 04:34 PM
RBC and TD's rewards can be for travel, investments, movie tickets, merchandise....... you should look up RBC rewards catalog

06civic
12-16-2008, 04:36 PM
ot if you want cashback TD's and Scotiabanks 1% cashback option is pretty neat.

Scotiabanks Scene visa is also pretty neat. Similar to the cash back one but instead of credit you get free movie tickets

Which card is for you comes down to:
Are you willing to Pay a fee for better rewards?
What do you want your rewards to be?
How much do you usually spend a month?
Do you carry balances?

Hi-Psi
12-17-2008, 12:07 AM
Personally I have the RBC Avian Infinite and think it's great. Had the Platinum Avian before. Plus you get a bonus of 15,000 points if you sign up for it right now. The fee for having the card is $120/year.

If you have a premium checking account with RBC then they knock off like $35/year from the VISA fee as well.

That's my suggestion anyway.

jwslam
12-17-2008, 12:25 AM
k yea i should have specified
i'm not willing to pay annual fees
because i honestly don't spend enough to justify that

i applied for bestbuy
because it works out to like 1.25% cashback with their points system
plus i'm not limited to some dumb catalog.

thanks guys.

btw i think my buddy did the math, you get more movie tickets if you go with 40$/airmile on bmo than you would with scene, which i think is pretty obsurd

Dumbass17
12-17-2008, 01:32 PM
it takes SOOOOO many points to get anything :P

i have the visa avion platinum and i use it for everything, but i'll probably never use the points haha

06civic
12-17-2008, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by jwslam
k yea i should have specified
i'm not willing to pay annual fees
because i honestly don't spend enough to justify that

i applied for bestbuy
because it works out to like 1.25% cashback with their points system
plus i'm not limited to some dumb catalog.

thanks guys.

btw i think my buddy did the math, you get more movie tickets if you go with 40$/airmile on bmo than you would with scene, which i think is pretty obsurd

how many airmiles do you need for a movie ticket?
HOw much airmiles you get for every dollar?

sputnik
12-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Just a heads up on Air Miles.

WestJet is leaving the Air Miles program on Dec 31, 2008.

Beerking
12-17-2008, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

That is so GAY!!

Damnit.

Tik-Tok
12-17-2008, 02:16 PM

mutherFAWCKER!

I finally had enough airmiles saved to get out to the Island, but couldn't use them during the holidays because of the blackout period.

Sons-o-bitches. Guess I'll just get a bunch of movie tickets or something now.

ballah
12-17-2008, 02:24 PM
it depends on what type of person you are. if you can t pay off the balance every month, get something with a low interest rate. ie: TD emerald. if you are the type of person that likes to travel, look at something with travel reward points. ie: CIBC AeroGold Visa or ScotiaGold Passport Visa. if you could care less bout travel and low interest rate, look at something at gives you cashback.
if you like movies, ScotiaScene Visa is great since it gives you one point for every 1 dollar that you spend and you need 1000 points to get a free movie.

I personally have the AeroGold and American Express Aeroplus. both collect aeroplan points.

i found that airmiles are a complete waste of time and that you have to spend wayyy too much inorder to get anywhere.

your credit may limit you depending on what it is.

Tik-Tok
12-17-2008, 02:39 PM

After researching it myself, they aren't leaving altogether, you just can't earn any points from them anymore. You can still purchase tickets with your airmiles.

Nizmo_GTR
12-17-2008, 02:55 PM
I would recommend looking into President Choice Mastercard. No annual fees plus you get 1% cashback in Superstore Bucks.

I buy most of my groceries at Superstore, therefore the superbucks are essentially cash through my eyes.

Also this card pays you the superbucks after each paid statement (1 per month). Other credit cards that offer 1% return send you the money once per year.

jwslam
12-17-2008, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by ballah
it depends on what type of person you are. if you can t pay off the balance every month, get something with a low interest rate.
yea i pay it off every month. heck sometimes i pay more than i owe them so they owe me. so interest doesn't affect me

Originally posted by Nizmo_GTR
Also this card pays you the superbucks after each paid statement (1 per month). Other credit cards that offer 1% return send you the money once per year.
not really a fan. i'd rather cash in whenever i like. how does superbucks work though... do they expire?

Beerking
12-18-2008, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by ballah
i found that airmiles are a complete waste of time and that you have to spend wayyy too much inorder to get anywhere.

REALLY? I found it the exact opposite.

I had the AMEX aeroplan card, since I fly a lot for work with AirCan I get alot of aeroplan points. BUT, the aeroplan program is a joke, not helpful at all (reps are assholes and no help, they must hate their job) and it actually costs you more to get the aeroplan points to fly to say Cancun then it would for you to earn Airmiles with AMEX to fly to Cancun.

And the system they have is junk, one day it could cost you 35000 aeroplan miles to fly to Cancun, then the next day it is 90000 points. You now how long it takes you to earn 90000 points unless you fly every week and spend minimum 5000 a month on your AMEX card????

I have really only being collecting airmiles for a year now and I already have enough to fly to cancun.

It is not hard at all to earn a lot of airmiles...hint, go to safeway they always have airmiles specials.

edit* Have you actually looked at the flight scheduals for aeroplan miles...what a JOKE!!! they give you the absolute worst times and if you are heading to say Cancun again, it would fly you to TORONTO first for a 11 hour layover and then by teh time you get to Cancun its the NEXT day!!! DUH?

bigboom
12-18-2008, 11:08 AM
i use the TD visa infinite card and its been good for me. throw everything i can on there and they also provide travel health insurance and what not so i dont need to worry about it when i leave the country.

anarchy
12-18-2008, 11:13 AM
I have the RBC Infinite Avion and it works great for me. But as mentioned, there is a $120 annual fee. I don't think you have to spend too much, I spend about $2000 on average per month but I put anything and everything on my CC if possible and pay it off in full each month.

If you carry a balance, find a card with low interest rate.

If you pay it off every month and are looking for a no-fee rewards card, i also recommend the PC Financial Mastercard. I have this one as well and is pretty nice if you shop at Superstore. I forget how much you get in PC points, I think 4%?? But you can use it on anything in the store I think and it's pretty simple to do.

R-Audi
12-18-2008, 11:25 AM
I like my Visa CIBC Aventura Infinite... basically you take the points and tell them what to buy....

jwslam
12-18-2008, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by anarchy
I have the RBC Infinite Avion and it works great for me. But as mentioned, there is a $120 annual fee. I don't think you have to spend too much, I spend about $2000 on average per month but I put anything and everything on my CC if possible and pay it off in full each month.

yea being a student living at home i spend like 300/400 so that's really a dumb idea for me

anarchy
12-18-2008, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by jwslam

yea being a student living at home i spend like 300/400 so that's really a dumb idea for me

Yeah for sure, so just find a good card with no fee.
As mentioned, I think the PC Financial MC is a good choice to go with. No fees and you get pc points. What CAN'T you buy at superstore lol

jwslam
12-18-2008, 01:04 PM
What CAN'T you buy at superstore lol
a shorter lineup at the checkout counter

TYMSMNY
12-18-2008, 01:05 PM

Yeah for sure, so just find a good card with no fee.
As mentioned, I think the PC Financial MC is a good choice to go with. No fees and you get pc points. What CAN'T you buy at superstore lol

Its hard justifying yearly fees for rewards but if it's worth it.. why not!

What can't you buy at SS? Quality food and products.

Edit: What do people usually go for? Cash Back or Travel Points?

adam c
12-18-2008, 01:12 PM
my mom has a $0 fee, 1% cash back MC with citibank

i on the otherhand only have normal CC's with Capital One and ATB

DJ_NAV
12-18-2008, 03:03 PM
citicards are good too... i get 2% back towards a car/bike/trailer... new or used. money can be even used towards a lease payment. no annual fee either. they have also the good benefits such as, free car rental insurance, double warranty, and buncha other things i haven't used.

jwslam
12-18-2008, 03:15 PM
that makes me wonder what's happening to people with the GM card...

ryeguy252
12-18-2008, 04:37 PM
Got a vehicle finance through Scotia Bank on my new car. They called me and said I got preapproved for a Scotia Bank money back card. I said sure send it to me when they told me there is no annual fee.

Think its the No-Fee Moneyback Visa Card

http://www.scotiabank.com/cda/content/0,1608,CID10401_LIDen,00.html

leec001
12-18-2008, 04:47 PM
http://www.redflagdeals.com/deals/main.php/articles/credit6/

Someone has made a comparsion for it.
The choice is different and it totally depends on your spending range.