PDA

View Full Version : how to find mechanic

mb935
12-16-2008, 06:43 PM
Im sure this has been asked before - but i did a search....

I dont know how to find a good mechanic. Is recommendations the only option? Cause I dont know anyone. :)

I dont want to go to a dealership becuase Ill be paying the highest prices correct?

and I did a search online for maybe a website that would rate local mechanics - does one exist?

THANKS

n1zm0
12-16-2008, 07:10 PM
i'm assuming you live in New Jersey.. we are mostly all from halfway across the continent.. in another country lol

uhh GL ? :dunno:

but if you're local, try option import on here, marketplace --> sponsors

mb935
12-16-2008, 07:26 PM
yeah i know - i found this website for other uses.

Im assuming this issue is universal though :)

Im just wondering if there are websites available

VetteRacin
12-17-2008, 12:19 AM
If there is a better business bureau for your area I would look into that, might state the good and bad places

timmyotools
12-17-2008, 10:04 AM
why are there so many calgarians on here anyway?

GQBalla
12-17-2008, 10:41 AM
its a calgary based car forum -

nonlinear
12-17-2008, 11:52 AM
some advice:

1) avoid chains like meinike etc. AT ALL COSTS. These places hire the cheapest/crappiest mechanics they can find, and they make money but recommending services that your car may not need and that could even damage your car (like engine flushes)

2) find a small independent shop in your local area. If you're in the states, make sure that it has ASE Certified mechanics (there will be a blue sticker in the door or window)

3) ask some of the folks in your area where they bring their cars. You want to especially ask some older folks who have lived in the area for a long time. Hopefully, you can find a shop that's been around since the '50s or so - that in itself is a testament to quality service. ask your parents, their friends or your grandparents, if possible