PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Pho thread.. REAL PHO

clem24
12-16-2008, 07:29 PM
OK, so this is another Pho thread, but please do not post what you like best in Calgary, this place sucks, etc... But what I want to know is.. How good is Calgary Pho? Compared to something like REAL Pho that you would get in Vietnam? Say, are there more authentic places in somewhere like Vancouver? Just curious.

GiangZilla
12-16-2008, 07:37 PM
Usually speaking pho is better in places like canada and the usa because of better ingredients but from what I know is the at pho dau bo use to be good till the new owners took over. There is two pho places in van the are really good but don't remember the name of the places, but if you really want to know I can ask my girlfriend she knows the name of the places. But as far as the best place to get pho I would say in LA little saigon FTW!

dj_rice
12-16-2008, 07:44 PM
You need to make friends with a Nammer and try some homemade pho :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

GiangZilla
12-16-2008, 07:52 PM
Or what dj_rice said probably the best pho you are going to taste is at a nammers house like my mommas. Hahaha.

dj_rice
12-16-2008, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by GiangZilla
Or what dj_rice said probably the best pho you are going to taste is at a nammers house like my mommas. Hahaha.

True dat.....the soup stock is 1000x better since its tons of beef bones/ox tail and not watered down like in restaurants and you can load up your bowl with unlimited meat/noodles :drool: :drool:

GiangZilla
12-16-2008, 08:05 PM
Plus at a nammers house you get the best meat and broth not the leftover stuff from yesterday that full of msg. Hahaha.

hampstor
12-17-2008, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice

True dat.....the soup stock is 1000x better since its tons of beef bones/ox tail and not watered down like in restaurants and you can load up your bowl with unlimited meat/noodles :drool: :drool:

:werd:

In Vietnam, Pho on the street you'll find it loaded with more MSG then you find at restaurants here. In households the buy MSG there in bags like we buy sugar.

However even without the msg, i find Pho in Vietnam on the street is not as good as good ol' home cooked. You can have as much meat, meat balls, noodles, veggies etc as you want in it. Granted, i'm a southern nammer and have really only had Pho in Saigon, Can Tho and all over the place in the Long Xuyen area.

adam c
12-17-2008, 03:24 PM

get your momma to throw so shrimp tail in there too

btw can i come over? i miss homemade pho

mac_82
12-17-2008, 03:29 PM
The Viet in Calgary is better than the food I have had in Toronto, Edmonton, Australia and Thailand.

supe
12-17-2008, 03:29 PM
My uncle has a pho restaurant in vietnam, best pho I've ever had without bias.

But in reality, it comes down to personal preference. My favorite pho places in calgary have been the same places I've been going to since as long as I can remember.

Lets put it this way, walk into a pho place, if its filled with nammers you know its authentic.

n1zm0
12-17-2008, 03:34 PM
in Malaysia there are a handful of Viets, mostly who were 'boat ppl' escaping Vietnam during the 70-80s, i had Pho there and they were using water buffalo instead of beef, they are also like 5 mm thick as opposed to the paper thin stuff here and more meat/stock than noodles. SOOO fken good, it was more of a game taste, like if you were to put in bison steak instead of beef here.

i knew it was going to be great because i saw the grandmother or mother in the back tending to the pot lol

GQBalla
12-17-2008, 03:44 PM
LOL ^^

KRyn
12-17-2008, 03:51 PM
Any nammers want to become my friend and invite me over for home made pho?

a social dsease
12-17-2008, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by GiangZilla

Beyond meet at GZ's momma's house??? :D

CRXguy
12-17-2008, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by KRyn
Any nammers want to become my friend and invite me over for home made pho?

I charge $100 for a big ass pot.

PM for more info.

:thumbsup:

I haven't gone back to Vietnam ever since i was born, but you will not like the Pho back there if you're used to the taste here. It's very different, at least that's what my dad tells me.

adam c
12-17-2008, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by CRXguy

PM for more info.

I haven't gone back to Vietnam ever since i was born, but you will not like the Pho back there if you're used to the taste here. It's very different, at least that's what my dad tells me.

how many servings do you think this will be?

CRXguy
12-17-2008, 04:20 PM
I'm gonna take a guess and say about 10-12 "X-large" bowls. Could be more, depending how much you eat in one serving.

EK 2.0
12-17-2008, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by adam c

btw can i come over? i miss homemade pho

I go over to dj_rice's mom house most every night...you are welcome to join me the next time I go....

(sorry had to do a throwback mama joke...it's been a while since we have seen one on beyond...haha...)

adam c
12-17-2008, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

I go over to dj_rice's mom house most every night...you are welcome to join me the next time I go....

(sorry had to do a throwback mama joke...it's been a while since we have seen one on beyond...haha...)

promise?:love: :love:

clem24
12-17-2008, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by adam c

promise?:love: :love:

Uh yeah I don't think he goes there to eat pho.

gkAeris
12-17-2008, 05:08 PM

i have to agree, i love pho:love: but when i went to vietnam, i tried it in street vendors, resturants etc and i couldn't finish the bowl. It taste totally different than the pho here. the noodles are different, the broth is more "clear" and the beef obviously isn't very good. Now when i go back to vietnam i only eat bun bo hue.

yummy

Stunt66
12-17-2008, 06:03 PM
:werd: Pho in veitnam is gross. I ate at quite a few places there and i didn't really enjoy any of them. My cousins took me to the local favorites and still it was just ok. It's so different from the stuff here.

raidar
12-17-2008, 07:49 PM
I think, especially with such a personal preference involved with how you like your pho, this is could just be another one of those "grass is greener" problems. Having travelled a decent amount, it seems many foods can taste better by just being somewhere else. The atmosphere, how good it smells, how hungry you are etc..all leads you to believe at that moment you have found "the one". Yet you can go back another time, if you are lucky enough, and it just doesn't hit the spot like it did. *shrug*

Maybe I'm way out in left field, but I don't think the answer is really an easy one.

van
12-17-2008, 07:55 PM

PM for more info.

I charge $80 for a big ass pot, for extra money I will get all the mints/sprouts/ and all that stuff for you. PM me. haha just kidding.

KRyn
12-17-2008, 07:57 PM
100$ for a pot you say.. Are we talking a soup pot? Like a huge vat of soup? If so you got a PM!

dj_rice
12-17-2008, 10:18 PM

:facepalm: , I was gonna invite you over for some pho but now, I don't think so

EK 2.0
12-17-2008, 10:22 PM

:facepalm: , I was gonna invite you over for some pho but now, I don't think so

It's ok if YOU don't invite me...but your "mẹ" already gave me an open invitation...haha...

(again I apologise)...

dj_rice
12-17-2008, 10:26 PM

It's ok if YOU don't invite me...but your "mẹ" already gave me an open invitation...haha...

(again I apologise)...

God damn, this cha knows everything :banghead:

EK 2.0
12-17-2008, 10:31 PM
hahaha...bring it...

nâu con người này không chơi...haha

dj_rice
12-17-2008, 10:35 PM
hahaha...bring it...

nâu con người này không chơi...haha

Uhhhh...okay....:nut: :dunno:

Something I am person, something don't play?

EK 2.0
12-17-2008, 10:40 PM
OK, I will come clean...haha I used an online Vietnamese translator to find the word for mom hahaha...

and this last phrase was supposed to read "this brown person don't play" haha...

dj_rice
12-17-2008, 10:45 PM
OK, I will come clean...haha I used an online Vietnamese translator to find the word for mom hahaha...

and this last phrase was supposed to read "this brown person don't play" haha...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: for effort with a :facepalm: for execution

EK 2.0
12-17-2008, 10:52 PM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: for effort with a :facepalm: for execution

meh, it had you freaked out at my maddd skillz for a moment haha...

hampstor
12-17-2008, 10:54 PM

I was trying to figure it out with dj_rice on msn, all we could figure out was 'this person won't play'.

Sorry, we don't call you 'brown' people, 'brown' literally in vietnamese :)

rockanrepublic
12-17-2008, 10:55 PM
You need to make friends with a Nammer and try some homemade pho :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
:werd: :clap: so god damn true homemade pho is amazing as for Vietnam i hear the quality isint as good but if you like pho its good to try since its diffrent but the price is sooo much better.

dj_rice
12-17-2008, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by hampstor

I was trying to figure it out with dj_rice on msn, all we could figure out was 'this person won't play'.

Sorry, we don't call you 'brown' people, 'brown' literally in vietnamese :)

When speaking of EI's in Vietnamese language, I know theres the "brown people" term in Vietnamese meaning person brown, and then theres the other term sound like en dot my parents use meaning from India...