PDA

View Full Version : New Years Eve Parties?

flipstah
12-17-2008, 01:19 AM
Hey everyone!

I was just wondering where in Calgary are some good spots to celebrate New Years Eve? My group of friends aren't really the 'club' type so they'd like to go sit-down restaurants or wherever chill and just celebrate the new year.

We had a good time at Belgo a couple of years ago and we're looking for the same atmosphere. Usually, Devonian Gardens have some kind of celebration but it's being renovated.

Thanks and hope you can help!

GQBalla
12-17-2008, 09:15 AM
Thomas lynch at wild ginger and zen 8. Both aren't clubs more lounging for sure

Kona9
12-17-2008, 09:24 AM
Calgary Tower was pretty good last year. Great old and new school hip hop DJ, good food, drinks etc.

flipstah
12-17-2008, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
Thomas lynch at wild ginger and zen 8. Both aren't clubs more lounging for sure

Wild Ginger is a bit meh. Atmosphere rules but wasn't a fan of their food. Never been to Zen 8 actually. It may be a contender!

Originally posted by Kona9
Calgary Tower was pretty good last year. Great old and new school hip hop DJ, good food, drinks etc.

Is the Tower still under renovation? Last time I checked, it still was but that was a couple of months ago.

l/l/rX
12-17-2008, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

Wild Ginger is a bit meh. Atmosphere rules but wasn't a fan of their food. Never been to Zen 8 actually. It may be a contender!

Is the Tower still under renovation? Last time I checked, it still was but that was a couple of months ago.

i have never ate at ginger, but i can just look at the food and see that its shit and WAAAAAAAAAAAAY TOO OVER PRICED!

ginger is going to be house ft. starkillers (sick), domg g (sick), titus 1 (sick) and at zen 8 its going to be hiphop, old school.

i dont think the tower is under renos, cuz my sister is eating there today, called something like sky 360 or something rather correct?

edit: cary change and mikey da roza just opened up a bar last weekend called habitat, about 120-130 max standing capacity, sick house music, really chill atmosphere.

TYMSMNY
12-17-2008, 01:56 PM
SKY360 at the top of the Tower is open. Had lunch there yesterday. That should be a great place to go for NYE.

As for clubs.. :dunno:

roopi
12-17-2008, 01:58 PM
http://sky360.ca/

ekguy
12-17-2008, 02:22 PM
Murietta's is super nice. Very classy sit down restaurant. good food. NYE party usually included a bottle of sparkling wine with the tickets. They had live music a couple years ago when I went. Kind of like a Jazz band...Was a very very fun time. Had people dancing right before the countdown to the new years and the service is spectacular.

n1zm0
12-17-2008, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by l/l/rX
edit: cary change and mikey da roza just opened up a bar last weekend called habitat, about 120-130 max standing capacity, sick house music, really chill atmosphere.

stfu, those 2 are some of the best, not because they are local but they can open for almost any kind of electronica DJ and change their music style according to the specific DJ, well all of the show i can remember them opening for, especially Cary, where is this place?

can't forget Titus1 too, he plays a mean opening for headliners.

KRyn
12-17-2008, 02:39 PM
Fuck Mikey opened his own place? That is music to my ears! Has anyone been there yet?

flipstah
12-17-2008, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY
SKY360 at the top of the Tower is open. Had lunch there yesterday. That should be a great place to go for NYE.

As for clubs.. :dunno:

Sweet! They are indeed open and so far, thanks for the suggestions!

Still looking for more because the Tower has this notice:

"Parties of ten or more will be accommodated at separate tables."

:( but I understand.

thordin
12-22-2008, 05:56 AM
I started drooling after looking at their menu. Their lunch menu looks mighty tasty. Roasted Butternut Squash soup & Grilled Tombo Tuna sandwich and Tempura battered Fish n Chips :drool:

side note: Also definitely a place to take your girlfriend to when you fuck up big time and gotta make it up to her. :facepalm:

l/l/rX
12-22-2008, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0

stfu, those 2 are some of the best, not because they are local but they can open for almost any kind of electronica DJ and change their music style according to the specific DJ, well all of the show i can remember them opening for, especially Cary, where is this place?

can't forget Titus1 too, he plays a mean opening for headliners.

ya they're throwing a new years party too.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/event.php?eid=39197663820
$40 a ticket.
its right beside the old cherry, took over that irish pub.

titus1 and dom g will be playing at the TL event opening for the Starkillers

n1zm0
12-22-2008, 05:08 PM

ya they're throwing a new years party too.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/event.php?eid=39197663820
$40 a ticket.
its right beside the old cherry, took over that irish pub.

titus1 and dom g will be playing at the TL event opening for the Starkillers

ya i got my ticks for TL last week, again with the nice 'credit card' kinda ticks that you dont get to keep.. ever :thumbsdow

i'm gonna guess they give you a MoS bag with a pin and lollipop again lol

Graham_A_M
12-22-2008, 06:35 PM

i have never ate at ginger, but i can just look at the food and see that its shit and WAAAAAAAAAAAAY TOO OVER PRICED!

It is shit. I had this orange peel chicken dish, and it may as well been sweet & sour chicken balls (from any food court type establishment) with some thinly cut orange peels tossed in it. :rolleyes:

I was very un-impressed. :thumbsdow :thumbsdow
Wont be making the mistake of going there again.

l/l/rX
12-22-2008, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

It is shit. I had this orange peel chicken dish, and it may as well been sweet & sour chicken balls (from any food court type establishment) with some thinly cut orange peels tossed in it. :rolleyes:

I was very un-impressed. :thumbsdow :thumbsdow
Wont be making the mistake of going there again.

Ya my friend once wanted to try the wonton soup it was like 8 bucks came with one wonton and the soup tasted like water with soy sauce.

zain123
12-22-2008, 07:48 PM
narah is having a new yrs party
all u can eat/smoke

if someone is interested msg me
thanks

Hi-Psi
12-30-2008, 05:49 PM
Anyone else have some suggestions? My friends and I still haven't figured out what we want to do tomorrow night.

Not really into clubs as much but maybe a place with a live band like a community hall or something? :dunno:

eb0i
12-30-2008, 06:09 PM
google "calgary new years events"

DJ_NAV
12-30-2008, 08:06 PM
ceili's party looks decent... anyone have tickets they wanna sell? or got a hookup by any chance?

CUG
12-30-2008, 08:29 PM
My girlfriend and I are going to ram each other all night in a really expensive hotel room. Wanna run the camera?

dannie
12-30-2008, 10:48 PM
Mercato is having a NYE party. Its $250 per person, starts at 6pm and goes until 2am. They are starting off with appetizers and snacks. At 10, they are doing a full sit down dinner with a roasted pig. The $250 includes all food and drinks for the nite. We have tickets already, but I am not sure if its sold out yet.

Also, I think its a good sign when the staff there are fighting over who gets to work that night because the food is expected to be SO good.

Graham_A_M
12-30-2008, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by CUG
My girlfriend and I are going to ram each other all night in a really expensive hotel room. Wanna run the camera?
Which GF is this Josh? I thought you were still single.

CUG
12-30-2008, 11:01 PM
My hand

Tik-Tok
12-30-2008, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by CUG

Your girlfriends going to ram you?

CUG
12-30-2008, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Your girlfriends going to ram you? I'm constipated, it helps...

l/l/rX
12-30-2008, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by dannie
Mercato is having a NYE party. Its $250 per person, starts at 6pm and goes until 2am. They are starting off with appetizers and snacks. At 10, they are doing a full sit down dinner with a roasted pig. The $250 includes all food and drinks for the nite. We have tickets already, but I am not sure if its sold out yet.

Also, I think its a good sign when the staff there are fighting over who gets to work that night because the food is expected to be SO good.

woah...$250 baller.

hope you have fun. Write a review afterwards to tell us how it was!

CUG
12-30-2008, 11:37 PM

woah...$250 baller.

hope you have fun. Write a review afterwards to tell us how it was! That looks like a tasty meal program though.. probably worth the money

l/l/rX
12-30-2008, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by CUG
That looks like a tasty meal program though.. probably worth the money

ya sorry i forgot to add in the food part. does sound quite delicious!

dannie
12-30-2008, 11:43 PM
Its not really that baller if you think about it. Food and drinks unlimited from 6pm-2am..... Equals out to just over $31 an hour. Pretty good. Plus Mercato food?? You cant beat that :D