PDA

View Full Version : Unmountable Boot Volume problem - need help

fast95pony
12-17-2008, 09:55 PM
I got this : Unmountable Boot Volume: error on my PC . I've looked everywhere for my Windows XP installation CD , but can't find it.

A few days before this error,my tower was knocked over.
Is it possible the error was caused by a hardware problem ??
Should I check to make sure all the boards are secure,or is this a purely software problem ? I've had no issues before.

Any suggestions ??

Thanks

eblend
12-17-2008, 10:12 PM
Check your hdd connection. If thats solid, possible that your hdd is dead.

van
12-18-2008, 08:12 AM
Fixing the dreaded “Unmountable Boot Volume” error
Contributor Icon Contributed by tipmonkies Date Icon September 22, 2007
ShareThis Tag Icon Tagged: Windows installation
One unfortunately common problem is data corruption on a hard drive and the dreaded “Unmountable Boot Volume” error. While the easiest thing to do may seem to be to format the drive and start from scratch, there is a better way of doing it, as long as you have a Windows XP installation disk handy. Read on to learn more.

Computer hardware wears out over time, it’s a fact. Your hard drive works constantly reading and writing data, and this (among other factors) may cause errors on certain parts of your system.

If you receive the “unmountable boot volume” error and have an installation disk, you still have a chance to save your system.

1. Insert your XP installation disk into an optical drive and boot up your computer.
2. When you see a welcome screen, hit the R key on your keyboard. This will enter you into recovery mode with a DOS prompt.
3. Now type chkdsk /p and hit Enter. This will launch a utility which will check for errors on your hard drive.
4. After the process is done, type fixboot and hit Enter to repair any damaged boot files which may have become corrupted. When asked to say yes or no, type the Y key on your keyboard.
5. Type exit and press the Enter key to reboot your computer.

If all went well, you should now be able to boot back into Windows without a problem!

Good luck!

Took from Tech Recipes.

natejj
12-18-2008, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by van

Took from Tech Recipes.

I had this same problem a couple days ago, followed those instructions, except typed chkdisk /r, not sure what the difference is between /r and /p

evoXfan
12-19-2008, 10:50 AM
/p is included in /r