PDA

View Full Version : One computer (only) can't see wireless network

szw
12-18-2008, 05:55 PM
I have a dlink wireless network and iPHones and my mac can see and join it freely. For some reason my pc laptop cannot see it at all. I open up the list of wireless networks and only one shows up called "Free Public Wifi"...i'm pretty sure thats being broadcasted from the same pc somehow as there is nothing else in range.

Anyone have any ideas?

Grogador
12-18-2008, 05:57 PM
Are they the same band? 802.11a vs. 802.11b/g

HyperZell
12-18-2008, 10:51 PM
First rule of computer help: post your computer details. Is it Vista? XP? What router? Etc etc.

revelations
12-19-2008, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Grogador
Are they the same band? 802.11a vs. 802.11b/g

:werd:

szw
12-19-2008, 11:11 AM
This computer and this router have worked before when the router was at my house. I recently got a new one and moved this router to my gf's house. Her computer couldn't even see the network, but her computer could connect to it fine when it was at my house.

The computer is running XP, besides that I do'nt know anything about it. The router is a dlink wbr1310.

Can you switch "bands" on the computer? I know the dlink settings have not changed and the PC could work with it before.

SpireTECH
12-20-2008, 06:18 PM
There are number of possible things going on here.

First, verify that the laptop has the antenna switch turned ON.

Your laptop could be set to only look for "Ad-Hoc" networks. To check your wireless settings and make sure your laptop is searching for "Access point" networks do this:

1. On the screen showing available wireless networks, click "Change Advanced Settings"
2. Click the "Wireless Networks" tab
3. Click the "Advanced" button
4. Make sure "Any available network" is selected.
5. Click close and click ok.

Another possibility is that your wireless network is running on channel 12-14. This could happen if you bought your router online or second hand and your router was originally purchased in the EU or Japan.