PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Present for family?

jeremyn
12-18-2008, 11:44 PM
So I decided this year to get something really big for the family instead of individual gifts. Problem is that I ran out of ideas of what to buy, first I was thinking of a Wii but don't think my parents would really play it that much, then also thinking of getting a second dog but not 100% if my parents would be ok with that.
I'm looking to spend around 300$ and I have a family of 5 including me, parents and 2 sisters.
Any other ideas of suggestions?
Thanks

el-nino
12-19-2008, 12:15 AM
I was thinking of doing the same thing too. I came up with a blu-ray player...

xLostx
12-19-2008, 12:17 AM
hungry hungry hippo's

tango101
12-19-2008, 12:22 AM
A big bowl of 5 cent candies :dunno:

But actually a blu-ray player doesn't sound bad as long as everyone in the family watches movies

xLostx
12-19-2008, 12:24 AM
blu-ray player if they actually have a hi-def tv as well...

TomcoPDR
12-19-2008, 12:35 AM
+1 go with the blue ray

jeremyn
12-19-2008, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by tango101

But actually a blu-ray player doesn't sound bad as long as everyone in the family watches movies [/B]
My parents don't watch too many movies but great idea.

tango101
12-19-2008, 12:49 AM
Maybe take the whole family out for a good lunch or dinner somewhere nice?

freshprince1
12-19-2008, 09:49 AM
pic's of sisters.

...sorry, it IS beyond...

em2ab
12-19-2008, 10:28 AM
I was going to do a water cooler, my parents are always filling up those containers with tap water and putting them in the fridge.

Wildcat
12-19-2008, 11:34 AM
I'm also getting a blu-ray player for the family. What are some of the highly recommended blu-rays out now? I'll be picking up Dark Knight and Iron Man, I'm sure those will look great in HD.

Impreza
12-20-2008, 11:48 AM
^Planet Earth!

badatusrnames
12-20-2008, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Impreza
^Planet Earth!

Good call.

But otherwise, some sort of appliance (juicer?) or maybe some exercise equipment? Gift certificate(s) to their favorite restaurants(s)/stores? Patio set or something else for the backyard?

It's going to be tough finding something that both your sisters and parents would like. Maybe just get two joint presents.

jeremyn
12-20-2008, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Impreza
^Planet Earth!

Yea we have that, its pretty awesome.
Blue planet is a good pickup too

Kloubek
12-20-2008, 08:36 PM
Although it is not "tangible", I really like the idea of taking everyone out for a really nice dinner. That way, you get family together too. But I assume you still live at home? Maybe more family isn't exactly required at this point. :)

Not sure why you'd buy a "family" gift. Not sure how old your sisters are, but would they truly appreciate that over getting individual stuff? If so, they must be older, or your parents brought them up well. Or both. I know my younger nieces would have felt kinda disappointed... (not that they haven't been well raised... but come on. They're kids.)

10secondpaki
12-20-2008, 08:41 PM
blue -ray , wait till next year. if they are like 100 dollars get one..

right now movies are over priced in that dvd format. its just a matter of time before walmart has stacks of sony blue ray dvd players for 50 bucks, as 2 years ago i got a sony dvd player from there for $49 so i am sure blue ray is just around the corner..

Graham_A_M
12-20-2008, 11:06 PM
I'd go for a midget stripper. :thumbsup:

with all seriousness aside, perhaps a detailed family history. You can get a detailed documented history that goes back countless generations (mine went back to 1747) and an official family plaque (based upon your last name) for around $200-300 or so.

There are various services in Calgary that can do this, although I dont remember who we went through, as it was many years ago.

Other then that, perhaps a PS3. The younger family members will LOVE it, and it has a built in Blu-ray player already installed.
Great bang for the buck really.

eblend
12-20-2008, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

Other then that, perhaps a PS3. The younger family members will LOVE it, and it has a built in Blu-ray player already installed.
Great bang for the buck really.

somehow a PS3 does not really seem like a family gift...more like a gift for yourself that the family can use every once in a while..

It's like homer buying Marge a bowling ball with his name on it haha

DJ_NAV
12-20-2008, 11:58 PM
I bought a nice 22" LCD for the home desktop. We had a 17" CRT before that. IT's greatly appreciated by all.

jeremyn
12-21-2008, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Although it is not "tangible", I really like the idea of taking everyone out for a really nice dinner. That way, you get family together too. But I assume you still live at home? Maybe more family isn't exactly required at this point. :)

Not sure why you'd buy a "family" gift. Not sure how old your sisters are, but would they truly appreciate that over getting individual stuff? If so, they must be older, or your parents brought them up well. Or both. I know my younger nieces would have felt kinda disappointed... (not that they haven't been well raised... but come on. They're kids.)

I usually save those for mothers day and fathers day lol.
I'm looking for something they can actually use on Christmas, its like giving gift cards, everyone loves them but I'd rather get an "actual" gift.
Imagine if you got a dinner for Christmas lol.

harv91
12-21-2008, 02:33 AM
Get one of those digital picture frames and load some family pictures for everyone to enjoy.
Or swing by Ikea and just walk around, they have cool stuff that you could just contribute to the house, funky little coffee tables or w/e.
thats all i got :dunno:

harv91
12-21-2008, 02:33 AM
Get one of those digital picture frames and load some family pictures for everyone to enjoy.
Or swing by Ikea and just walk around, they have cool stuff that you could just contribute to the house, funky little coffee tables or w/e.
thats all i got :dunno: