PDA

View Full Version : Any mac networking people?

likwid
12-20-2008, 12:13 AM
Hey guys,

I have a macbook and an iMac at home, both running the latest version of Leopard. I have set up a filesharing network to share my work between the two machines. I am able to open a document on my macbook that is stored on my iMac without any problems. However, after I have this file open, I cannot save any changes that I make to it because I am given the error message, "Access to (name of file here) was denied".

How can I allow overwriting of files on a remote computer like a normal server would allow?

Thanks

SpireTECH
12-20-2008, 05:26 PM
On Leopard, by default all files will only be writable by their owner. You can change the permissions really easily, just follow these quick steps:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2314896_fix-file-permissions-mac-os.html

How to Fix File Permissions in Mac OS X
Step 1: Open your computer and locate the file or folder whose permission you want to change. Right click (CTRL + mouse click) on the file and click "Get info."

Step 2: Click on the padlock icon on the lower right side of the box. This will prompt for your user-name and password. Fill in the required information. Hit OK.

Step 3: Locate user-name: Under "Sharing and Permissions" tab in the pop-up, locate the user-name whom you want to give access to your file. Click on the right side of the user-name, under "Privilege" and change to "Read and Write" if you want that user-name to have access to read and change the file; "Read Only" if you don't want to give them access to changing the file; and "Write Only" if you don't want anyone to see the contents of the file.

Step 4: Close the pop-up and repeat these steps on the other files that you want to change after you are done with the changes. Repeat until you are sure that only those whom you want to have access to your file have this privilege.

likwid
12-21-2008, 12:31 AM
Thank you very much, that worked like a charm!

One more question.

Is there any way for me to still access work on a computer after it is in sleep mode? My fear is that I connect to that computer, work on files stored on it, and then 15 minutes later that computer goes to sleep and I lose access to the server.

Thanks

Originally posted by SpireTECH
On Leopard, by default all files will only be writable by their owner. You can change the permissions really easily, just follow these quick steps:

SpireTECH
12-21-2008, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by likwid
Thank you very much, that worked like a charm!

One more question.

Is there any way for me to still access work on a computer after it is in sleep mode? My fear is that I connect to that computer, work on files stored on it, and then 15 minutes later that computer goes to sleep and I lose access to the server.

Thanks

Good to hear. Unfortunately, copying files across the network will not prevent the remote computer from entering sleep mode.

If the remote computer connects wirelessly to the network, the only option is to disable sleep mode or manually wake it up each time.

If however, the remote computer connects with an ethernet cable, then it is possible to wake it up remotely. This feature is called Wake on Lan. Using this feature requires a little experience with networking.

Complete details can be found on this article: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20050118192723153