PDA

View Full Version : Shaw coming out with DOCSIS 3.0

10secondpaki
12-20-2008, 08:34 PM
Shaw coming out with DOCSIS 3.0

That's what they told me. I think the download speeds will be at peak 150 mbps down and 10 upload.

They are testing it only in BC and a secret Calgary Community.

dj_rice
12-20-2008, 08:50 PM
Also heard they're coming out with their own line of cellphones with no contracts in the 2009 year

googe
12-20-2008, 10:13 PM
a year ago, they said it would be deployed in less than a year.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/60010-shaw-communications-f1q08-qtr-end-11-30-07-earnings-call-transcript?page=7

GoChris
12-21-2008, 12:00 AM
:clap:
I know comcast rolled out 50Mbps with their docsis 3. I'm just hoping for cheaper 25Mbps then, I'll upgrade from extreme if its not much more.

hampstor
12-21-2008, 02:08 AM
http://www.shaw.ca/NR/rdonlyres/81191153-9CF7-460C-96A9-23D3BF13413C/0/CompanyOverviewPresentationNovember2008.pdf

Says FY2009 for 100mbs service - so within a year... doesnt say much beyond that tho.

Grogador
12-21-2008, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Also heard they're coming out with their own line of cellphones with no contracts in the 2009 year

they will be on Rogers network, they're buddies

Pihsiak
12-21-2008, 11:48 AM
from what I know they will have 5 tiers to choose from for Internet

High Speed Lite will stay at 512 kbits
New tier to make up the gap will be at 2MB download
High Speed will go from 5MB -> 7MB
Extreme will go from 10 -> 15MB
Nitro either stays at 25MB or goes to 50MB
and a new DOCSIS will be 100MB download.

GoChris
12-21-2008, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Pihsiak
from what I know they will have 5 tiers to choose from for Internet

High Speed Lite will stay at 512 kbits
New tier to make up the gap will be at 2MB download
High Speed will go from 5MB -> 7MB
Extreme will go from 10 -> 15MB
Nitro either stays at 25MB or goes to 50MB
and a new DOCSIS will be 100MB download.

Except you mean Mb instead of MB, but sounds good!

sputnik
12-21-2008, 04:44 PM
Are we going to need a new modem of will it be part of a firmware upgrade?

dj_rice
12-21-2008, 06:11 PM
I also heard they are coming up with technology to eliminate the cable wires and all you do is just plug in the modem through your power outlet and your connected

r0g3r
12-22-2008, 12:33 AM
I doubt the whole "eliminate cable wires" will work anytime soon, considering you need the Coax to connect to their network.

Shaw has won some of the wireless spectrum; they're THINKING of using it for cellphones, not 100% sure on their plan yet. That would be awesome tho, at least have a bit more competition so the shitty companies we have right now would decrease their bitchyness.

Btw does anyone here use the "Nitro" service? I haven't used it but I heard its pretty useless? Doesn't work always as fast as advertised?

I have extreme and it works great, but not really willing to shell out the extra $$ for nitro :D

Boat
12-22-2008, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by r0g3r
I doubt the whole "eliminate cable wires" will work anytime soon, considering you need the Coax to connect to their network.

Shaw has won some of the wireless spectrum; they're THINKING of using it for cellphones, not 100% sure on their plan yet. That would be awesome tho, at least have a bit more competition so the shitty companies we have right now would decrease their bitchyness.

Btw does anyone here use the "Nitro" service? I haven't used it but I heard its pretty useless? Doesn't work always as fast as advertised?

I have extreme and it works great, but not really willing to shell out the extra $$ for nitro :D

I use the nitro, cant tell much difference, speedtest is anywhere from 9000Kb persec - 19000kb.

Extreme I with speed boost is good enough, the only reason why we use nitro is because we have a total of about 10 devices which use the internet.

Edit: If they upgrade Nitro to 50, without increasing the price I would be happy!!

anarchy
12-22-2008, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice

Shaw has won wireless spectrum in all the areas they service, and will be launching a wireless service, that is guaranteed. And while the details have yet to be ironed out, you can count on it being GSM. Also, you can expect the service to be targeted towards customers that need just the phone service and not all the bells and whistles (no iphones, no berrys, at least to start).

However, due to the dire economic situation, the plans for wireless have been put on hold until at least September 2009.

Pihsiak
12-22-2008, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by anarchy

However, due to the dire economic situation, the plans for wireless have been put on hold until at least September 2009.

a bunch of us were talking, Shaw is really taking their time with this. They are doing alot of research b/c if you think about, Shaw has never been a contracted based company. So what kind of service are they going to provide?

Are they going up against, Bell, Rogers, Telus? or simple phones like Fido, Solo, Virgin? With 3 years plans they can reduce the cost of things like Smart phones and BB, but without the contracts, they have to sell shitty phones...

There were word that they would have short term contracts like 6 months to help reduce the cost of nice phones.

debates debates debates

old&slow
12-22-2008, 05:47 AM
My flat rate land line with Shaw is great. I hope they introduce a flat rate cell service. I'd consider that!

googe
12-22-2008, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by r0g3r

thats not really a factor, because they wire the coax into your power (or get it higher up the chain). broadband over power is already in use in a few places in the US.

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/bpl-network.gif

BlackArcher101
12-22-2008, 10:27 AM
Rogers already does the powerline distribution of internet.

Xtrema
12-22-2008, 04:15 PM
I can't see I will be needing faster Internet. I can hardly use Extreme I to full bandwidth as it is. Latency for Xbox live is pretty good.

Poor Telus, always on the losing side of the technology battle.

Is Shaw partnering with Rogers on the new spectrum infrastructure? If they are, I can't see any revolution on pricing.

rage2
12-22-2008, 04:19 PM
Very few people *need* faster internet. I'd have a use for it because I have a site to site VPN from my house to my office, it would be nice if it's faster... make life easier for working on documents thats on the office servers.

SpireTECH
12-22-2008, 04:41 PM
The real advantage to the 100mbps connection will be the increased upload speed.

Who knows what Shaw will actually provide for upload on that line, but we can do some quick rough math to figure out the minimum they MUST provide to guarantee 100mbps download.

Shaw's network (and most networks) run on a MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) of 1500 bytes. This is the maximum amount of data a computer can send in one packet. At maximum utilization of the 100mbps connection, and 1500 bytes per packet, you're looking at 8333 packets (Math: 100mbps * 1000 kilo bits/megabit * 1000 bits/kilobit / (1500 bytes * 8 bits/byte) = 8333.333). TCP connections, such as the ones used for web based downloads require that each packet received be answered with an ACK (acknowledgment) packet. The minimum size of an ACK packet is 74 bytes. To maintain the 8333 downstream packets, the computer must send 8333 upstream packets of 74 bytes each. This works out to 602.19 kB/second (Math: 8333 packets * 74 bytes/packet / 1024 bytes/kilobyte).

That's the minimum required, under the most ideal conditions. In a real world situation, you will probably need an additional 15-30% to sustain that download speed.