PDA

View Full Version : Why are used WRX's hard to find?

writhen
12-21-2008, 03:28 PM
I'm looking to buy a vehicle in the next 4 months or so, specifically a 06/07 wrx.

For some reason I can't find much online. Usually autotrader/canadatrader and buysell have a few at least...but these days it seems that this specific gen has disappeared?
I checked the used Subaru dealer sites too and nothing shows up. There's barely a handful of 04/05's.

Anyone have any ideas why?

Tik-Tok
12-21-2008, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by writhen

Anyone have any ideas why?

This is why.

http://gtworx.com/catalog/images/2008wrx3.jpg

:barf:

Plus it's winter, expect to see more for sale in spring.

Aleks
12-21-2008, 03:33 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/245186/fs-2006-world-rally-blue-subaru-impreza-wrx-w-cobb-stage-2-and-including-winters/

Here is a nice one.

Aleks
12-21-2008, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

This is why.

http://gtworx.com/catalog/images/2008wrx3.jpg

:barf:

Plus it's winter, expect to see more for sale in spring.

So there are no 06/07s for sale because the 08 is ugly therefore people are hanging on to their pretty previous gens? :rofl:

writhen
12-21-2008, 03:35 PM
That's actually a nice mint car too. Problem is I only have about half the money so I need to finance the rest...thus it has to go through a dealership.

funkedelic2
12-21-2008, 03:47 PM
That's actually a nice mint car too. Problem is I only have about half the money so I need to finance the rest...thus it has to go through a dealership.

You could just get a loan for the rest

Tik-Tok
12-21-2008, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

So there are no 06/07s for sale because the 08 is ugly therefore people are hanging on to their pretty previous gens? :rofl:

Yep. If I was in the market for a WRX right now, I'd be getting a previous gen. rather than a new one.

HiTempguy1
12-21-2008, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Yep. If I was in the market for a WRX right now, I'd be getting a previous gen. rather than a new one.

Have you seen the '09's? Much better already.

swg
12-21-2008, 04:14 PM
my buddy has an 04 wrx from the states. no block heater, so its pretty much just a summer ride. :rofl:

max_boost
12-21-2008, 04:25 PM

First off, you would do what the rest of Beyonders would do, tell the seller you only have $13K and maybe he'll take it? Or tell him if he still has the car in 3 months, you'll take it then, or maybe throw in a deck of cards to beef up the offer jk lol :rofl:

But seriously, most dealers will go through the major banks anyway and you might end up paying more for a car after you factor in taxes. Nbaker00 is nice enough to let Beyond members apply for loans through him even if they weren't buying a car directly through him. Of course SDS gets a kickback of some sort from the bank but you should contact Norman first to see if he's still doing this.

How much do you want to spend anyway? I can offer up my WRX for sale if you are interested.
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/212820/fs-2006-white-subaru-wrx/

Aleks
12-21-2008, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by swg
my buddy has an 04 wrx from the states. no block heater, so its pretty much just a summer ride. :rofl:

Lack of block heater can't be the only reason he doesn't drive an AWD car in the season it's meant for?

writhen
12-21-2008, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

First off, you would do what the rest of Beyonders would do, tell the seller you only have $13K and maybe he'll take it? Or tell him if he still has the car in 3 months, you'll take it then, or maybe throw in a deck of cards to beef up the offer jk lol :rofl:

But seriously, most dealers will go through the major banks anyway and you might end up paying more for a car after you factor in taxes. Nbaker00 is nice enough to let Beyond members apply for loans through him even if they weren't buying a car directly through him. Of course SDS gets a kickback of some sort from the bank but you should contact Norman first to see if he's still doing this.

How much do you want to spend anyway? I can offer up my WRX for sale if you are interested.
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/212820/fs-2006-white-subaru-wrx/

Hmm thanks for the valuable info. I'm going to have to think about doing a private sale I guess. For some reason I've always had this feeling of security in buying from the dealer as they get to know you and stuff...so when you take your car in for servicing or warranty claims they know you bought from them so they'll treat it better. It's all probably just in my head.

Nice car btw, just not looking for white...I know I know, I shouldn't be picky right now haha...but whites the color of my current car. Want something new :D

I was also considering the wrx265 hatch...but it might just be a tad too much money for me lol. From what I hear it's worth the price though...

bignerd
12-21-2008, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by swg

Our STi is from the states, no block heater. It started up yesterday after being parked outside for two weeks, granted it was not happy about it but it started.

C4S
12-21-2008, 05:13 PM
It is winter now .. lots of people love to keep a cheap AWD car for winter ..

If you are not in a big rush .. should be lots of them for sale in March/April .. :)

Canmorite
12-21-2008, 05:45 PM
Parents had their 02 WRX since 04 and probably going to keep it for a while. Great in winter and tons of fun in the summer.

Sorath
12-21-2008, 05:50 PM
theres a blue one on here for sale, also max boost i think is selling his

max_boost
12-21-2008, 06:00 PM

Hmm thanks for the valuable info. I'm going to have to think about doing a private sale I guess. For some reason I've always had this feeling of security in buying from the dealer as they get to know you and stuff...so when you take your car in for servicing or warranty claims they know you bought from them so they'll treat it better. It's all probably just in my head.

Nice car btw, just not looking for white...I know I know, I shouldn't be picky right now haha...but whites the color of my current car. Want something new :D

I was also considering the wrx265 hatch...but it might just be a tad too much money for me lol. From what I hear it's worth the price though...

Yeah WRX265 are worth it, I just bought one lol
Nothing wrong with white cars as I have 3! :eek:

I'm always itching to get into a new car so just throwing it out there if anyone is interested in my WRX haha

psycoticclown
12-21-2008, 06:05 PM
Definitely a sexy car max_boost :hitit:

D'z Nutz
12-21-2008, 06:47 PM

Nice one, Sam! :clap:

SilverRex
12-21-2008, 07:04 PM

Nothing wrong with white cars as I have 3! :eek:

I'm always itching to get into a new car so just throwing it out there if anyone is interested in my WRX haha

so you have 4 cars now?

dont tell me your wrx265 is in white also, btw did u get the sedan or hatch

Redlyne_mr2
12-21-2008, 07:53 PM
This weather gets everyone in the wrx mindset.

max_boost
12-21-2008, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by SilverRex

so you have 4 cars now?

dont tell me your wrx265 is in white also, btw did u get the sedan or hatch

I sold the Civic in like 2 days :eek:

3 cars. Yes the 265 is also white but I got a sedan. The wife LOVED the car!

Now I'm getting some interest in my WRX so inventory can be changing pretty quick here lol

SilverRex
12-21-2008, 08:44 PM

I sold the Civic in like 2 days :eek:

3 cars. Yes the 265 is also white but I got a sedan. The wife LOVED the car!

Now I'm getting some interest in my WRX so inventory can be changing pretty quick here lol

well congrads, I know the 265 is worth every penny :)

I bet your going to stage 2 that car some time in the future? how does your stage 2 wrx previously compare to the stock 265 in performence?

max_boost
12-21-2008, 09:02 PM
WRX265 is faster, quieter and more refined!

I think the Accessport is only available for the regular WRX and not the 265. This car belongs to the wife anyway and I don't think she plans to do much but if a Cobb reflash was available, that's the 1st mod no doubt.

rc2002
12-22-2008, 12:00 AM
When did this happen? Wow, you really move fast. Congrats!

What made you decide to choose the 265 over the STI? Was it the interest rate? Or the fact that they perform the same in a straight line?

googe
12-22-2008, 08:13 AM
04/05 STI was the best generation. none of my cars since then have been quite as satisfying, especially in winter :)

max_boost
12-22-2008, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
When did this happen? Wow, you really move fast. Congrats!

What made you decide to choose the 265 over the STI? Was it the interest rate? Or the fact that they perform the same in a straight line?

Interest rate was good but main thing is sedan > hatch.

benyl
12-22-2008, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by googe
04/05 STI was the best generation. none of my cars since then have been quite as satisfying, especially in winter :)

:werd:

Even though I had the 335i last winter, for the last 2 weeks, I have been missing my STi.

rc2002
12-22-2008, 10:32 AM

Yeah, the hatch has surprisingly little room. I thought it would be great for utility but you'd be hard pressed to fit golf clubs or snowboards back there without folding down the seats.

benyl
12-22-2008, 10:38 AM

I might have to take one for a spin. I am dismayed at the fact that the WRX265 is faster than the STI.

heavyD
12-22-2008, 10:39 AM

How many kilometers on it? You may want to check your oil on the first oil change for yellow metal particles to make sure you didn't get a bad engine. NASOIC has at least ten members that have spun rod bearings with anywhere from 200 - 3000 miles on new 2009 WRX's (265 here).

benyl
12-22-2008, 10:58 AM
Wow, they still haven't fixed that yet... I guess I will continue to wait.

Why is the new engine so different from the original EJ25X engines?

heavyD
12-22-2008, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by benyl
Wow, they still haven't fixed that yet... I guess I will continue to wait.

Why is the new engine so different from the original EJ25X engines?

They either went with a new vendor (bearings) or manufacturing process for the 08+ models. They had the stop-sell/recall in April for 08 vehicles using the 2.5 turbo (excluding the STI) where they drained the oil in all the cars and performed a test and examination of the oil.

Now 09's are having the problem at a higher rate but it's unclear if it's because they re-used some of the failed shortblocks or they are still having the same sort of issues. I think the only reason thay haven't issued another stop-sell or recall is to avoid bad press in the poor US economy especially now that they have a direct competitor in the Ralliart.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1648372&page=8

The current poll at NASOIC out of 34 vehicles has almost an 18% failure rate;
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1661872&page=2

SilverRex
12-22-2008, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

They either went with a new vendor (bearings) or manufacturing process for the 08+ models. They had the stop-sell/recall in April for 08 vehicles using the 2.5 turbo (excluding the STI) where they drained the oil in all the cars and performed a test and examination of the oil.

Now 09's are having the problem at a higher rate but it's unclear if it's because they re-used some of the failed shortblocks or they are still having the same sort of issues. I think the only reason thay haven't issued another stop-sell or recall is to avoid bad press in the poor US economy especially now that they have a direct competitor in the Ralliart.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1648372&page=8

The current poll at NASOIC out of 34 vehicles has almost an 18% failure rate;
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1661872&page=2

you mention excluding the STI, so is the STI completely immuned?

heavyD
12-22-2008, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by SilverRex
you mention excluding the STI, so is the STI completely immuned?

The STI is not affected by this rod knock problem. You can sleep tight as you made the right decision to go STI over WRX.;)

max_boost
12-22-2008, 08:22 PM
I haven't even taken delivery yet, hopefully I will get it before Christmas and hopefully my car isn't one of those affected by the rod knock problem.

heavyD
12-23-2008, 09:06 AM
I haven't even taken delivery yet, hopefully I will get it before Christmas and hopefully my car isn't one of those affected by the rod knock problem.

NASOIC has the details on the oil test. If you test the oil before you take delivery you may save yourself hassle. Odds are that your car will be fine but they have 13 reported 09 WRX failures and that doesn't count non-NASOIC posters so there is a small possibility. Maybe get it in writing that if you get rod knock within a certain amount of KM's that they will replace the car rather than replace the engine as you know the car will never be the same as connectors get broken, bolts not properly torqued, etc. when ripping out an engine and putting another in.

heavyD
12-29-2008, 08:15 PM
Canadian WRX 265's aren't immune to the problem. This guy is from Ontario, play the video to hear the knocking.

http://wrx265.com/