PDA

View Full Version : Review: El's Japanese Fusion (Marda Loop)

in*10*se
12-21-2008, 11:52 PM
Review: El’s Japanese Fusion

El’s Japanese Fusion
17 – 2008 33 Avenue SW
Calgary, AB T2T 1Z4
(403) 217-6796

El’s Japanese Fusion is a relatively new restaurant located in Marda Loop. *across the street from globefish*

Ambiance/Atmosphere: 9/10
This is an understated, quaint family run business that features an intimate, cozy setting. The restaurant is small with only a few tables but offers that comfortable, family-style dining feel and is a great place to relax and enjoy a meal with your company.

I’ve been going to this place consistently now for four months now and have gotten to know the owner/chef, Mike, quite well. I can appreciate the effort he puts into this restaurant and the attention to detail he gives in each of his dishes.

Food (quality, portions, presentation): 10/10
By far, the best sushi in Calgary, hands down. What sets El’s apart from other Japanese restaurants in the city is that the menu features 70 different maki sushi rolls. Each roll is creative and unique and the presentation is very nice.

I usually order the Oasis roll, which is crab meat, asparagus, and tamago (Japanese sweet omelette) wrapped with a cucumber slice. For $12, this roll is one of my favourites: it is refreshing and light (the cucumber gives it that refreshing kick compared to typical sushi) and there is no filler (NO rice in the roll whatsoever; 100% fresh meat and ingredients). Other honourable mentions include:

• Kamikaze – spicy tuna, prawn tempura, asparagus ($13)
• Blue Dragon – unagi with avocado ($13)
• W-Spicy – spicy tuna and spicy salmon ($10)
• Las Vegas – deep fried cream cheese, prawn tempura, crab meat, asparagus ($16)
• Superstar – deep fried spider roll (soft shell crab, avocado, tobiko, cucumber) with scallop on top ($19)
• Rock ‘n Roll – crab meat and avocado with fresh water eel on top ($13)
• El’s – deep fried scallop, sweet prawn, crab meat ($15)

In addition to the rolls, the rest of the menu selection is awesome. They have all the typical dishes you would expect to find at a Japanese restaurant: agedashi tofu ($6), edamame (soybeans) ($5), gyoza (Japanese dumplings) ($8–10), takoyaki (deep fried octopus balls) ($8), Japanese-style salads ($8–16), tempura ($7–25), sashimi ($13–30), and udon and soba noodles ($7–19). Another personal favourite is the green tea tempura ice cream ($7). It’s made with a cereal/bread crumb tempura-style shell, which I think is better than Towa’s, as the outer shell is crispy and crunchier.

I have tried most of the items on the menu and have never been disappointed with anything. The portions are a great bang for your buck. There is very little filler in the rolls (generous ratio of fish to rice), the ingredients are fresh and the dishes are made to order.

Service: 8.5/10
The service was warm, friendly, polite, prompt, and accurate. The servers were prompt at bringing the food out. The rolls were explained/announced when they are placed in front of you. The plates were cleared away quickly when done. Questions were cheerfully answered and splitting the bill was easy.

We were checked on regularly. I gave service a 8.5 because when the restaurant gets busy, the servers are quite busy and do not check on you as regularly to refill your tea, get you the bill, etc. As well, some of the servers don’t speak English that well and it makes it a bit difficult when ordering.

Pricing: 10/10
The pricing is cheaper than most Japanese restaurants in Calgary and when you factor in the portion sizes, it is a bang for your buck. I’d say a typical meal at El’s will run you $20 – $25 per person and you leave with a satisfied full stomach.

Overall: 9/10
Highly recommended. I’ve brought a lot of my friends and family here and everyone loves this place. El’s Japanese Fusion is out of those hidden gems, hole-in-the-wall, family run restaurants that’s awesome! The large selection of unique rolls combined with the quality of the food will keep you coming back.

Definitely give this restaurant a try. You won’t regret it. El’s also does takeout, which is a good option given the small number of seats in the restaurant.

Hours:
Open Sunday through Saturday (except Monday) from 1pm to 9pm
Closed Mondays

Credit:
Cash, Debit, MasterCard, Visa

Parking:
There is free parking in the lot behind the restaurant. Enter from 19th Street off 33rd Avenue. There is also limited free parallel parking along the street in front of the restaurant.

Here's a quick photo below of some of the sushi:

kenny
12-22-2008, 01:03 AM
Damn, I was hoping no one would post a review of this place! Now its going to be impossible to get a table since theres only about 4 - 5 tables. I agree with pretty much everything written in the review.

Too bad this place opened up after I moved out of the area or I would be there every other night. :thumbsup:

theken
12-22-2008, 01:44 AM
all u can eat?

chkolny541
12-22-2008, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by theken
all u can eat?

if you pay enough..

l/l/rX
12-22-2008, 02:43 AM
oh man this place is delicious i eat here about once a week er order take out on my way home from work cuz theres often no tables open when i go.
this place is probably number 1 for sushi in my books (in calgary). but ya its a small tiny place that has like 4-5 tables.
there salmon sushi pizza is delicious! anything with cream cheese or unagi is awesome.

rage2
12-22-2008, 08:10 PM
El's is definately up there for Calgary, especially for it's fusion style which seems to be picking up steam the last year or 2, but I wouldn't say it's the best overall. But that's probably just personal opinion, as I favor the more traditional Japanese style sushi houses. I'm pretty fucking picky lol.

In any case, it's one of the places I do visit, because it's definately one of the top 5 sushi spots in town. Here's some pics from my first visit. I believe that's the $100 lobster plate:

http://www.virgeweb.com/rage2/misc/els1.jpg

http://www.virgeweb.com/rage2/misc/els2.jpg

http://www.virgeweb.com/rage2/misc/els3.jpg

My 2nd visit, where I did the November food theme shoot:

http://www.virgeweb.com/rage2/latestpic/200811-24.jpg

http://www.virgeweb.com/rage2/latestpic/200811-25.jpg

They were really accomodating there, the chef made a special selection of sushi that I requested showcasing as much colors as possible that matched the outside warm colors. Tasted AWESOME too.

rage2
12-22-2008, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by theken
all u can eat?
BTW - all u can eat sushi is probably the worst thing to ever happen to sushi. Don't ever mention it again. Thanks.

1997GSR
12-22-2008, 08:23 PM
moar pics of model

dragonone
12-23-2008, 01:43 AM
yay good competition to the bad dumb service at globefish at marda loop

+1 for the model

pinoyhero
01-25-2009, 07:41 AM
Hit it recently, my quick review ...

Ambiance 7/10 - Nothing special pretty plain but clean. Slight piss off was that is was freezing in there, my girl was wearnig her parka the whole time as was another lady in the place. We asked to turn up the heat and tehy did but not enough.

Food 8/10 - Right up there with Zen/Globe/Club IMO. I found the rolls a bit large and overstuffed with rice but the variety and creativity of them is second to none.

Service 7/10 - Tiny place with only 1 waitress. I felt for her for sure as she was busy with another table and take out orders. She did real welll but could have used another hand to be a bit quicker. Overall timing was a bit slow on the food front as well.

Pricing/Value 9/10 - Had 1 soup, 1 salad and gyoza to start. Then 4 rolls (of which we probably ate 2.5 and I were stuffed, the rolls are monsters) and the price came to $90 after tip and tax. A bit high but as noted we could have easily cut $30 off the tab by going with just 2 rolls and ending up full rather than stuffed.

I would recommend and will return.

Model pics +1, who is she?

ExtraSlow
11-06-2009, 07:14 PM
Was in there last night and I'm impressed.
Went with some pork gyoza to start, and they had a nice delicate texture, not over-fried like many places.
Shared four rolls with the wife, and we liked every one.
Can't remember the name of it, but one was deep fried, and I'm not sure I'd get it again. Kind of overpowers the rest of the roll, especially the end pieces which have much more coating.

They appear to be short of serving staff, and although the service was quick, it was kind of frantic.

Will go back.

HondaKid
11-06-2009, 08:24 PM
I hit this place a few times a month, both for take-out and eat in. The lone waitress can get slammed, she has to answer the phone for orders, seat diners, take table orders, bring out the food, etc. Slammed. Another waitress would pay really, as the tables would be flipped faster.

I will phone in an order and pick it up thirty minutes later. Wish they had an App or proper website with pics, ordering from memory is a bitch. Sometimes I will tell the waitress my budget and the number of people eating, she does the selection. Also, I mention I like sushi and rolls which are less mainstream to experience new selections I would not try other wise. Works very well.

No alcohol served is the reason I get take-out. Used to have a 10 percent discount on take-out..... no more.

Lunch is good value and not as busy.

Sushi unlike pizza is really not worth keeping in the fridge overnight, the taste and texture goes off.

Oh and that model needs to work there as well.....

npham
11-07-2009, 08:51 PM
I think I agree with most people on hear and say that their food is good/great, right around 7.5/10. But their service and decor is something not to be desired. I've never been there and had a positive experience with the service and that's not because the waitress is useless, it's because there is only 1 waitress/server period. She needs a partner in crime.

C4S
11-07-2009, 11:00 PM
Yup .. they are very good .. best rolls in town~~ ( and globefish on 14 )

dirtsniffer
11-20-2009, 02:15 AM
:closed: stop talking about els! or else! i can barely squeeze in the door to pick up my order now :banghead:

urban_chic
01-29-2010, 11:59 PM
This is definitely the best sushi place in calgary imo. Best sushi selection, i hope they open up more branches in calgary..

Speed_69
01-30-2010, 12:37 AM
Great sushi but service is absolutely terrible. It's a really small place but it seems like they need two waitresses just to keep up with everything. I would go here more often for my sushi fix but with the poor and slow service levels, it deters me from going as often and it's too far from my house for pick up order.

dirtsniffer
08-05-2010, 06:47 PM
does this place ever open anymore? it doesnt seem to matter when i show up. sometimes its open for lunch around noon, usually not.
sometimes it opens at 5 at night, sometimes it opens at 7 if at all. they even took the hours off the door.
im about ready to give up.:(

Disoblige
08-05-2010, 06:53 PM
Oh no.. Hope this place doesn't go down the hole.. Haven't been there in ages.

LLLimit
08-05-2010, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
does this place ever open anymore? it doesnt seem to matter when i show up. sometimes its open for lunch around noon, usually not.
sometimes it opens at 5 at night, sometimes it opens at 7 if at all. they even took the hours off the door.
im about ready to give up.:(

I was there just last Thursday, July 29th for dinner.

boarderfatty
08-05-2010, 11:22 PM
Have any of you guys been to the Eatery in Vancouver? I really loved their rasta inspired japanese fusion restaurant. If this place is somewhat comparable I would love to give it a shot the next time I am down. But if I am coming down for a weekend I don't want to waste a meal at this place when there are so many other great places to eat down there. I just don't want to be dissapointed. If I want dissapointment, I will stay in E-Town

Speed_69
08-05-2010, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by LLLimit

I was there just last Thursday, July 29th for dinner.
I'm happy to hear that this place is still open. It is definitely one of the best places for sushi in Calgary but don't make it here often as it is really far from me and the service is kinda poor.

LLLimit
08-06-2010, 04:08 PM
They had only 1 guy serving tables when I was there.

szw
08-10-2010, 09:08 AM
Are the owners from Montreal? That plastic grass thing they put on the plates is pretty lame

takkyu
10-28-2010, 11:17 PM
Checked this place out finally a few days ago.. It's not bad, but it's not great either. I've yet to find a place in Calgary to beat Sushi Club

veedubin69
11-07-2010, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by takkyu
Checked this place out finally a few days ago.. It's not bad, but it's not great either. I've yet to find a place in Calgary to beat Sushi Club

You will never find another place in this country that will beat Sushi Club, I've done Van and Toronto.

I would just give up now, I've never had a more authentic sushi roll ever, the presentation is like christmas morning everytime.

I don't mind paying a little more for actual sushi that top quality.