PDA

View Full Version : DEI Remote problem

Terencejiminy
12-22-2008, 09:05 AM
1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic, 2nd owners, probably installed by/for the 1st owner when new.
Just over a year and a half ago one of my wife's remotes (DEI "Your Valet", 2 button with remote start, green light) had its battery go dead. She didn't tell me, just grabbed the other one and went on her merry way. Well its battery died about 6 months later.
I replaced both batteries, now either work at all???
I was told that I would have to go to a DEI dealer to have the whole car re programmed. The 2 I called wanted more than new units installed for this service.
The only other issue we have EVER had with this system is that on a VERY cold day it would not crank the car long enough to actually start.
Where do I go from here. :confused:
Thanks,
Terry

isleepinadrawer
12-22-2008, 10:04 AM
im pretty sure you can just reprogram the remotes yourself.

they probably lost frequency when the batteries died?

im not familiar with DEI, maybe post your model and others can help.

Terencejiminy
12-22-2008, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by isleepinadrawer
im pretty sure you can just reprogram the remotes yourself.

they probably lost frequency when the batteries died?

im not familiar with DEI, maybe post your model and others can help.

Model: DEI 471T
Another issue I found, now that I have searched many threads about the DEI or Clifford models, is this mystery Valet Switch and some type of small LED red light somewhere under my dash or ??
I Don't have this......... :dunno:
Just the small antenna box and mini mast up behind my rear view mirror.
Terry

kylejw
12-22-2008, 10:44 AM
I have a DEI starter, and it is possible for the remote and car-module to be on different frequencies, so they will no longer work together. All that is necessary to fix the problem is to push lock (or unlock) three times in a row and they resync.

If I get a new remote, the procedure for programming it is very easy as well. I would not pay a dealer anything for either of these services. Instead, Google around a bit and find the user manual. I'm betting you can have this solved yourself in minutes, though you may need to look for the valet switch.

Terencejiminy
12-22-2008, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by kylejw
I have a DEI starter, and it is possible for the remote and car-module to be on different frequencies, so they will no longer work together. All that is necessary to fix the problem is to push lock (or unlock) three times in a row and they resync.

If I get a new remote, the procedure for programming it is very easy as well. I would not pay a dealer anything for either of these services. Instead, Google around a bit and find the user manual. I'm betting you can have this solved yourself in minutes, though you may need to look for the valet switch.

Removed the lower steering column and main cover. Found 2 units. One with 4 relays in it and another sealed computer (maybe?)
Tried to trace wires anywhere to this remote mystory Vallet Switch or even the little red led bulb. No dice.
I just got back from the Clifford sight but it doesn't list my:
Small black 2 gray button remote with green led that says:
"Your Valet"
on one side and
DEI
F-800-274-0200
RPN471T
266 Rolling Codes
FCC ID EZSDE1471
on the other
:dunno:

kylejw
12-22-2008, 03:35 PM
Well it is just a momentary switch. If I were in your position I would just find the manual (may need the installation manual as opposed to the user manual in this case, if they are seperate), and find out if you need the valet switch to program a remote. If you do and you can't find it, make your own. Switch + wire, shouldn't be too challenging especially if you can take the computer out of the car. The manual will probably tell you where the switch plugs in (at least mine did)

Keep in mind that often the manufacturers won't distribute the manuals, as they want you to use their installers. I have a bookmark of a website that has a ton of them though, however it is at home...

12-22-2008, 10:21 PM
programming "coding" remotes again on DEI is a pain in the ass.

You need to have the valet siwtch, LED and the install manual to program them, the install manual contains the differant codes/procedures to program.

its something like, IGN ON, PUCH BUTTON X amount of times, release button, press button again, press remote, press button, press remote, turn off ign, press button... lol. its stupid.