PDA

View Full Version : Are block heaters mandatory on new cars sold in Alberta?

ryeguy252
12-22-2008, 09:42 AM
A buddy of mine told me that block heaters are mandatory on new cars sold in Alberta? I just recently bought a 2009 model, was told block heaters are not necessary on new cars.

With all that being said, and cold weather I'm tempted to just have a block heater in the event my car does not start.

bmeier
12-22-2008, 09:45 AM
no, they are not mandatory nor are they required.

Tomaz
12-22-2008, 09:52 AM
It would be nice if they did come with block heaters! You would think seeing that it gets minus freekin' cold in winter!

TYMSMNY
12-22-2008, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by ryeguy252

With all that being said, and cold weather I'm tempted to just have a block heater in the event my car does not start.

A block heater isn't going to help you jump start your car....

Personally I find them quite useless.

n1zm0
12-22-2008, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY

exactly, it might help you warm the car up faster via heating the coolant moreso than oil but that's useless if you cant even get the car started in the first place.

But i would buy an oilpan heater first, battery warmer second.
if your oil is a little less viscous and your battery is well charged, it's less work for the engine to turn over.

Proyecto2000
12-22-2008, 10:11 AM

When I dont plug my car in, the car has a harder time starting and it will make some not so nice sounds as the engine turns over. When I plug the car in for a few hours it fires up instantly just like starting up on a nice hot summer day and the car takes less time to warm up aswell.

benyl
12-22-2008, 10:15 AM
I have never plugged in any of my cars that came with a block heater and they all started fine. The most important thing in this cold weather is having a good battery.

You can't even put a block heater on a BMW. So no, they aren't mandatory nor are they required.

Kloubek
12-22-2008, 10:21 AM
Block heaters serve a reasonable purpose. They keep the oil liquified, and therefore it provides better protection on startup.

But in the end, a well-maintained car should start up under any conditions we have here in Calgary. I have never heard of a car coming unexpectedly with a block heater.... it's always an option or aftermarket addition.

Xtrema
12-22-2008, 10:26 AM
unless you have to park your car outside in extreme temperature overnight, block heater isn't that big of a deal.

Especially on newer cars.

I have not used block heater for over a decade. I have garage at home and wherever I go, there's no free electricity.

Eleanor
12-22-2008, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by benyl
The most important thing in this cold weather is having a good battery.
And proper oil.

10secondpaki
12-22-2008, 10:30 AM
block heaters should be required for american made cars since they always having trouble starting, new or used, old or young. cold or hot.

benyl
12-22-2008, 10:34 AM
Last time I check the Toyota Camry and Tundra were American made. So are the Honda Civic and Honda Accord. Oh wait, even the Acura TL is American made.

Eleanor
12-22-2008, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by 10secondpaki
block heaters should be required for american made cars since they always having trouble starting, new or used, old or young. cold or hot.
:banghead:

Ban +1 stupid troll.

n1zm0
12-22-2008, 10:47 AM
Last time I check the Toyota Camry and Tundra were American made. So are the Honda Civic and Honda Accord. Oh wait, even the Acura TL is American made.

dont forget new corrollas, matrixs, RX350s, pilots, mdx's odysseys, XL7s and csx's

n1zm0
12-22-2008, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Eleanor

:banghead:

Ban +1 stupid troll.

10secondtroll

wtf is with your name anyways 10sec..

Grogador
12-22-2008, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
unless you have to park your car outside in extreme temperature overnight, block heater isn't that big of a deal.

That's kind of the whole idea...

Originally posted by Proyecto2000
When I dont plug my car in, the car has a harder time starting and it will make some not so nice sounds as the engine turns over. When I plug the car in for a few hours it fires up instantly just like starting up on a nice hot summer day and the car takes less time to warm up aswell.

Yeah, I've noticed that too, why not make the motor's life easier and keep the fluids... fluid.

You can't even put a block heater on a BMW. So no, they aren't mandatory nor are they required.

Oh ok :rolleyes:

G-ZUS
12-22-2008, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by n1zm0

10secondtroll

wtf is with you're name anyways 10sec..

His gf probably calls him that cuz he can't last more than 10 secs?

sillysod
12-22-2008, 11:50 AM
No block heater available for the 3.0V6 in my wifes Passat, and my A4 1.8T didn't come with one either.

Both run Mobil 1 and sit outside. Only time I have a hard time starting is when the batterys start to go.

Kloubek
12-22-2008, 11:52 AM

And proper oil.

Good point. Unless suggested otherwise by the manufacturer, 5w30 is usually the better choice over 10w. It should help a bit on the cold starts.

benyl
12-22-2008, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by sillysod
No block heater available for the 3.0V6 in my wifes Passat, and my A4 1.8T didn't come with one either.

Originally posted by Grogador

Oh ok :rolleyes:

:facepalm: :facepalm: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

adam c
12-22-2008, 11:54 AM
last time i checked, block heaters heat the coolant not the oil

n1zm0
12-22-2008, 11:57 AM

IIRC VW and Audi use oilpan heaters.. dealer installed during PDI.

Grogador
12-22-2008, 11:59 AM

Audi has the thermostat in the wrong spot for your usual block heater. VW stopped sourcing real block heaters because they would fall off and light on fire.

Jayson
12-22-2008, 12:07 PM
My Mazda 3 came standard with a block heater - and i'll tell you it makes a world of a difference when you plug it in vs. not.

I have a 1992 Mazda B2200, i didn't plug it for a few days, and i couldn't get it to start.... Had to trickle charge my battery and pour some hot oil into the engine before it turned over.. for the last week i've been plugging it in, i've had no problems starting the sucker...

Granted it is an older car, and a POS

AE92_TreunoSC
12-22-2008, 12:25 PM
BMW wont sell block heaters anymore, we phoned regarding an X5 and they told us "BMW's dont require them"

I personally like keeping my oil thin, so its easier for start up, but its certainly no necessary. My e46 has the bolt on, oil pan heater, and it does help cold starts, it cranks much faster.

My Toyota truck is plugged in right now, I could care less if its necessary, its just easier to start and warms up faster.

2002civic
12-22-2008, 12:33 PM

no VW does not use an oil pan heater due to the amount of fires that started from them, I'm pretty sure Audi is the same as well

Eleanor
12-22-2008, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Good point. Unless suggested otherwise by the manufacturer, 5w30 is usually the better choice over 10w. It should help a bit on the cold starts.
Hell the owner's manual on my Protege says "Only use 10W-30" but I put in 5W anyway :drama:

What do the Japanese know about -30C starts? :rofl:

sillysod
12-22-2008, 12:46 PM

:facepalm: :facepalm: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

why the :facepalm: ?

TYMSMNY
12-22-2008, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
BMW wont sell block heaters anymore, we phoned regarding an X5 and they told us "BMW's dont require them"

My Toyota truck is plugged in right now, I could care less if its necessary, its just easier to start and warms up faster.

LOL. Most cars don't require them regardless of whether they are a douchemob.. I mean BMW or not.

edit: for those that park outside all winter... yes, it is easier to start and potentially better for your engine as well.

benyl
12-22-2008, 01:21 PM

why the :facepalm: ?

It was meant for Grogador.

It seems that he is trying to make a statement about BMW.

Seems like other companies have realized that block heaters aren't necessary. But Grogador knows better than the car companies that have enormous amounts of data. :rolleyes:

johnboy27
12-22-2008, 07:48 PM
My car is an 06 civic and if isn't plugged in at anything under -10 it is hard to start. I am running 5w20 oil and it still has a hard time starting if not plugged in.

CelicaST-162
12-22-2008, 08:02 PM

:facepalm:

LOL, seriously?

Redlyne_mr2
12-22-2008, 08:04 PM
Im super picky about my cars so i plug them in even when it's -10, so much easier on the engine.

TYMSMNY
12-22-2008, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by CelicaST-162

:facepalm:

LOL, seriously?

LOL you. Did you read what I quoted initially? :facepalm: for you plus a :banghead:

nobb
12-22-2008, 08:57 PM

Hell the owner's manual on my Protege says "Only use 10W-30" but I put in 5W anyway :drama:

What do the Japanese know about -30C starts? :rofl:

Just wondering if you notice any difference with the 5W30 instead of the stock 10W30? Ive always been running conventional 10W30 and last winter I had problems starting the protege in -40C. Battery is good, but I might switch to synthetic after 100k

As for the block heater, I notice my car does not sound as rough when running if I were to have the block heater plugged, or if I just let it idle longer first.

ZedMan
12-22-2008, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by adam c
last time i checked, block heaters heat the coolant not the oil

I don't mean to be overly harsh, but did you not consider the heat being transmitted through THE HUGE BLOCK OF METAL that is the engine block to more than just the coolant?

Aleks
12-22-2008, 09:59 PM
Didn't get block heaters in my last 3 new cars.

Deetz
12-22-2008, 10:12 PM
As mentioned, they are not required. The Acura dealer i work for does install them in all the new cars with the pdi though.

I haven't plugged in my cars in over a decade. Starting a car in cold weather does not wreck it. I've seen many cars with over 400,000kms run fine, never being plugged in.

They main advantage of it is reduce running time before your engine reaches full running temperature. It's true that in extreme cold, your fluids will be less gelled, and the engine will turn over easier.

Eleanor
12-23-2008, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by nobb
Just wondering if you notice any difference with the 5W30 instead of the stock 10W30? Ive always been running conventional 10W30 and last winter I had problems starting the protege in -40C. Battery is good, but I might switch to synthetic after 100k
I don't really notice much of a change, but I make sure when it starts warming up again that I switch back to 10W.

integra_xsi
12-23-2008, 07:16 PM
I think a block heater helps in starting the vehicle. I remember when we had a cherokee, it wouldnt start in the winter time unless it was plugged in. good battery or not.

chkolny541
12-23-2008, 07:22 PM
i will have to agree to dissagree with everyone of you

88jbody
12-23-2008, 08:13 PM
block heaters are nice to have, keeping the coolant a few degree warmer your car will start better, you are less likely to have an engine flood and not start. and also you don't have to idle your car as long before you start to drive.

do you need it, not really but they are a nice thing to have.

but if you do not have one you want to make sure your spark plugs are not worn, your oil is good and clean synthetic oil will help. and your battery has to be good.

older cars that have higher millage engines you will notice the biggest help from a block heater.

I use mine when temps are below -20 and my car starts quicker with les cranking and warms up faster, but it still starts without, just labors more when it first starts

italianunit
12-24-2008, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by bmeier
no, they are not mandatory nor are they required.

Thats great news- I dont want it then, as we have heated underground parking... I was told it is mandatory. but at 479.00 for a 100.00 part... saves me a few bucks!

EFHatch
12-24-2008, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by italianunit

Thats great news- I dont want it then, as we have heated underground parking... I was told it is mandatory. but at 479.00 for a 100.00 part... saves me a few bucks!

Someone is charging you 479.00 to install a block heater!?

This is on your civic? Honda's price is $170.00 installed.

italianunit
12-25-2008, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by EFHatch

Someone is charging you 479.00 to install a block heater!?

This is on your civic? Honda's price is $170.00 installed.

no, its on the santa fe- 3.3 gls awd... but the thing is, on the other vehicles it's onlt 200.00

i am wondering if i can tell them i don't want it. or get one they havent pdi'd yet.

Tomaz
12-26-2008, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by chkolny541
i will have to agree to dissagree with everyone of you

Mind putting in your 0.02 on the end of that statement?

Projek01
12-26-2008, 03:43 PM
the block heater on my dad's 4runner did nothing when it was -40 last year. no matter how long we plugged it in for, it didnt have enough heat to warm the oil. installing a oil pan heater would be better? i would imagine it would take a lot of heat to radiate from the block down to the oil pan.

johnboy27
12-26-2008, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Projek01
the block heater on my dad's 4runner did nothing when it was -40 last year. no matter how long we plugged it in for, it didnt have enough heat to warm the oil. installing a oil pan heater would be better? i would imagine it would take a lot of heat to radiate from the block down to the oil pan.
I think it is more of warming your oil in the main bearing and around the cam and valve train that matters as you crank should not be dipping into cold oil anyway. At -40 a block heater isn't going to do a whole hell of alot for any car though.

lbrowne
12-28-2008, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by johnboy27

At -40 a block heater isn't going to do a whole hell of alot for any car though.

Anyone who has lived in the Fort Mac region will tell you otherwise.

That said, I've had the old import beaters when up in Fort Mac (89 240sx, 91 sentra classic) and all those started without any issue - but I was sure to have a good battery with about 850 CCA and never moved the car until it has idled for a few minutes. (my 89 240 started in -53 before windchill) When it's that cold your seats feel like 2x4s, pedals don't move easy for the first few minutes and your shocks/struts might be froze too :)

EFHatch
12-28-2008, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by italianunit

no, its on the santa fe- 3.3 gls awd... but the thing is, on the other vehicles it's onlt 200.00

i am wondering if i can tell them i don't want it. or get one they havent pdi'd yet.

Oh a hyundai. Thats makes sense then, they require an axle removal and alternator to get removed before you have access to the frost plug....stupid design IMO