PDA

View Full Version : Speed Camera Prank

Mibz
12-22-2008, 11:30 AM
No date on the article so it may be a repost or old as fuck but with Calgary getting permanent green light cameras I figured this is relevant.

News Story (http://www.thesentinel.com/302730670790449.php)

Basically people are getting the plate #s of people they don't like, printing off fake ones, putting them on their cars and purposely speeding through the traps.

As a prank, students from local high schools have been taking advantage of the county's Speed Camera Program in order to exact revenge on people who they believe have wronged them in the past, including other students and even teachers.

Students from Richard Montgomery High School dubbed the prank the Speed Camera "Pimping" game, according to a parent of a student enrolled at one of the high schools.

Originating from Wootton High School, the parent said, students duplicate the license plates by printing plate numbers on glossy photo paper, using fonts from certain websites that "mimic" those on Maryland license plates. They tape the duplicate plate over the existing plate on the back of their car and purposefully speed through a speed camera, the parent said. The victim then receives a citation in the mail days later.

Students are even obtaining vehicles from their friends that are similar or identical to the make and model of the car owned by the targeted victim, according to the parent.

"This game is very disturbing," the parent said. "Especially since unsuspecting parents will also be victimized through receipt of unwarranted photo speed tickets.

The parent said that "our civil rights are exploited," and the entire premise behind the Speed Camera Program is called into question as a result of the growing this fad among students.

The Speed Camera Program was implemented in March of this year and used for the purpose of reducing traffic and pedestrian collisions in the county. Cameras are located in residential areas and school zones where the posted speed limit is 35 miles per hour or lower. A $40 citation is mailed to the owner of the car for violating the speed limit in these areas.

The Montgomery County Police said they have not seen or heard of this prank occurring but said they will keep an eye out for people committing the crime.

"I hope the public at large will complain loudly enough that local Montgomery County government officials will change their policy of using these cameras for monetary gain," the parent said. "The practice of sending speeding tickets to faceless recipients without any type of verification is unwarranted and an exploitation of our rights."

Edward Owusu, Assistant Principal at Wootton High School, said that he heard of local students pulling the prank when the school received a call from a parent informing them of its occurrence. "I have not heard of this happening among students at Wootton," Osuwu said. "It is unfortunate that kids have a lot of time on their hands that they can think of doing such a thing."

Montgomery County Council President Phil Andrews said that the issue is troubling in several respects. "I am concerned that someone could get hurt, first of all, because they are speeding in areas where they know speeding is a problem," he said.

Andrews also said that this could hurt the integrity of the Speed Camera Program. "It will cause potential problems for the Speed Camera Program in terms of the confidence in it," he said.

He said he is glad someone caught it before it becomes more widespread and he said he hopes that the word get out to the people participating in this that there will be consequences.

Toms-SC
12-22-2008, 11:35 AM
Fantastic idea actually.

Crymson
12-22-2008, 12:12 PM
What's the chief of police drive? Or the alberta transport minister?

calgarys_finest
12-22-2008, 12:16 PM
Or cop car licence plates. haha thats a awesome idea

timmyotools
12-22-2008, 12:30 PM
Unberevebul.....it's not fair. Our taxes pay to have kids run around with fake license plates.

BlackArcher101
12-22-2008, 01:03 PM
Unless they are duplicating plates for vehicles that are identical model year, model and trim, then this wouldn't work. The registration wouldn't match the plate number when they go to write the ticket. Not that hard I guess.

But it does go to show some of the problems with photo anything. Which is why in the states they photograph the drivers too in some places.

scat19
12-22-2008, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101
Unless they are duplicating plates for vehicles that are identical model year, model and trim, then this wouldn't work. The registration wouldn't match the plate number when they go to write the ticket. Not that hard I guess.

But it does go to show some of the problems with photo anything. Which is why in the states they photograph the drivers too in some places.

Reading > you

Students are even obtaining vehicles from their friends that are similar or identical to the make and model of the car owned by the targeted victim, according to the parent.

gen2teggy
12-22-2008, 01:11 PM
WOW thats Unberevebul.....

ZorroAMG
12-22-2008, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by calgarys_finest
Or cop car licence plates. haha thats a awesome idea

:facepalm: cause cops can't speed, right?

calgarys_finest
12-22-2008, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG

:facepalm: cause cops can't speed, right?

Fuck your dumb. You go through a red light or speed through it and when they check the plate it comes back to a cop car. I didnt say steal a cop car and speed through the red light.

timmyotools
12-22-2008, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by gen2teggy
WOW thats Unberevebul.....

You better bereve it.

adam c
12-22-2008, 01:28 PM

Fuck your dumb. You go through a red light or speed through it and when they check the plate it comes back to a cop car. I didnt say steal a cop car and speed through the red light.

:facepalm:

cops can speed, run lights, fuck a whore in the back seat while slamming a 40 and shooting off their shotguns while drifting the deerfoot off ramps and get away with it as long as it's justified

when a cop responds to a call they don't need to have any warning lights/sounds on so they can approach quietly and effectively

Grogador
12-22-2008, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101

In lots of system, nobody actually "writes" a ticket, it's all automated so nobody will know until the owner goes, "uhh wtf, not my car mang".

Originally posted by adam c
...fuck a whore in the back seat while slamming a 40 and shooting off their shotguns while drifting the deerfoot off ramps and get away with it as long as it's justified

Hahaha nice. I've done that. It was justified :thumbsup:

core_upt
12-22-2008, 01:49 PM

Fuck your dumb.

Right back at you:)

cloud7
12-22-2008, 02:03 PM
This is actually a good idea... not that I would do it, but a good idea nevertheless.

calgarys_finest
12-22-2008, 02:06 PM

:facepalm:

cops can speed, run lights, fuck a whore in the back seat while slamming a 40 and shooting off their shotguns while drifting the deerfoot off ramps and get away with it as long as it's justified

when a cop responds to a call they don't need to have any warning lights/sounds on so they can approach quietly and effectively

I am well aware of what cops can do with in thier vehicle. When you get a Redlight ticket from a camera they run the plate on your car when you get the ticket i was simply stating in my first post that if we put fake cop plates on cars and ran redlights speeding it would show how easy it would be to screw the system with a little humor involved. If the plate on a car is a cops plate it will still be run in the system and come back as a cop plate on a civilians car.

Eleanor
12-22-2008, 02:08 PM
IIRC, police can only break traffic laws if their lights are on.

adam c
12-22-2008, 02:08 PM

I am well aware of what cops can do with in thier vehicle. When you get a Redlight ticket from a camera they run the plate on your car when you get the ticket i was simply stating in my first post that if we put fake cop plates on cars and ran redlights speeding it would show how easy it would be to screw the system with a little humor involved. If the plate on a car is a cops plate it will still be run in the system and come back as a cop plate on a civilians car. way over your head dude

Xtrema
12-22-2008, 02:19 PM
Intriguing but one of these kids eventually be stopped by cops for defacing license plate.

ZorroAMG
12-22-2008, 02:40 PM

Fuck your dumb.

My dumb what? Finish your sentence genius.

One day, you'll finally figure out the point of my post to you.

Then again, probably not.

8Ball
12-22-2008, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor

IIRC, police can only break traffic laws if their lights are on.

And 3 more sleeps till santa comes!

BlackArcher101
12-22-2008, 03:16 PM
can't delete

BlackArcher101
12-22-2008, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by scat19

Reading > you

Yes... It's not like I said they WEREN'T doing that. I simply restated the fact, so how is that in conflict with the article.

semograd
12-22-2008, 04:30 PM
Great idea!

scat19
12-22-2008, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by 8Ball

I lol'd

BlackArcher101 you stated exactly what the article stated, so ya, re-read everything and then get back to me

Eleanor
12-22-2008, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by 8Ball
Sorry, should've said legally, they can only speed/run reds with their lights on. Practice is another story altogether.

hampstor
12-22-2008, 04:46 PM
haha this reminds me of the story of the kids who stole the photoradar van's plate, put it on their vehicle and then repeatedly sped passed the photoradar van :rofl:

zipdoa
12-22-2008, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by hampstor
haha this reminds me of the story of the kids who stole the photoradar van's plate, put it on their vehicle and then repeatedly sped passed the photoradar van :rofl:

:rofl:

I love it. This is even more clever than those punks who change the wording on billboards/signs around town. The best I've seen was at DQ in bowness "2 for 1 Double Sluts"

Mibz
12-22-2008, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by hampstor
haha this reminds me of the story of the kids who stole the photoradar van's plate, put it on their vehicle and then repeatedly sped passed the photoradar van :rofl: Yeah, I just read about that as well. 3 of them distracted the drive while a 4th stole the front plate, then they drove past that same camera 17 times.

Originally posted by zipdoa
This is even more clever than those punks who change the wording on billboards/signs around town. The best I've seen was at DQ in bowness "2 for 1 Double Sluts" A sign beside Midanpore Tim Hortons had "Fecal Tit Taps $xx". I was rather impressed.

flipstah
12-24-2008, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
Yeah, I just read about that as well. 3 of them distracted the drive while a 4th stole the front plate, then they drove past that same camera 17 times.

Must... need... LINK! :rofl:

Mibz
12-25-2008, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by flipstah

Must... need... LINK! :rofl: I could only find the picture...

http://cdn.davesdaily.com/pictures/908-mischievous-aussies.jpg

flipstah
12-25-2008, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
I could only find the picture...

http://cdn.davesdaily.com/pictures/908-mischievous-aussies.jpg

HAHAHAHA! That made my entire week!

Were they ever caught?

Moe Man
12-26-2008, 11:02 AM
haha golden