PDA

View Full Version : Command start question......Guru help.

Marlin375
12-22-2008, 06:25 PM
New to this forum, lots of great info....hope I can contribute one day.

I have been offered a command start out of a 99 Grand AM.
I would like to put it in a 08 F350 diesel.

Is this do-able, with the glow plug pre-heater thing and obvious differences between these vehicles?

The F350 is an XL and the only feature required is the remote start....no locks or alarm ect.

I can get the command start model if there is a chance this could work (the fob is a 2 button cs-55# can't read the third number)

Thanks in advance.

12-22-2008, 10:12 PM
dont waste your time, this is one of my biggest peaves in the industry.

To me installing a used starter is no better than reusing old oil.

The wires are usually cut to length for the vehicle it came out of, the modules get covered in dust, road grime and crap from it being near your feet.

not to mention for the price of brand new ones they cost differance isnt really that much.

if you install a used starter and it fucks up you have no warranty.

thats an old starter to.

Marlin375
12-23-2008, 12:26 PM
Thanks 410440.
Good advice, I will call that strike 1.

However I am rather thick-headed and it is going to take at least 2 more of you Gurus to snuff my dream.

What is the life span of one of these things? Do they usually crap-out before the vehicle reaches the end of its life?

-The starter out of the Grand Am is free to me, so the initial cost difference is exactly what a new one costs (plus taxes).

-The removal is my time.

-The install will be done by myself and a friend who is an expert in the field of automotive electronics.

Still don't know if it is even possible, the last thing I want to do is take this one out then find out it was not even compatible with the vehicle I am trying to put it in.

Strugari
12-24-2008, 12:46 PM
The CS555 is the transmitter number, and the unit will be a 2400, or a 200 series remote starter.

These units have a diesel wire that delays the start, however on the F350 there is no glow plug wire to tie that to, it is a data stream from the computer.
If you tie the glow plug wire into the glow plugs, that will not work, as the glow plugs on the new 6.4 can remain on for up to 2 minutes.
Most newer unit have a settable delay for the glow plug, and the older command starts do not.

I agree with 410440, and say, save yourself a headache, and get a new remote start for your new diesel truck.

AE92_TreunoSC
12-24-2008, 12:51 PM
I've seen a few reused, and installed by guys outside of the industry.

Only to see them towed to my shop with fried starters or drained battery's.

I'd never reuse a car starter. Especially on such a new truck, that has enough headaches as it is.

Marlin375
12-24-2008, 03:37 PM
Strike 2, and strike 3.

Thanks guys.

Anybody recomend a simple but reliable starter for a 2008 F350 XL diesel?