PDA

View Full Version : SCAM ALERT: Canadian Auto Warranty Services

broken_legs
12-22-2008, 11:08 PM
I searched, did not find anything about this on the forum so here you go:

Sounds like a Phishing Scam

Sitting at my moms place out here in BC and I got an automated voice recording saying that I was eligible for a free extension on my existing auto warranty. "Wow", I thought to myself as I pressed 1 to be connected with an operator.

Within moments I was speaking with a nice lady in what sounded like a busy call center. She asked a few questions like my First and Last Name, Postal code and what year/make/model of car I wanted my warranty on.

I gave her all the right info except my last name (it's in the phone book but hey bot going to give it out for free) and even told them about my moms oldschool 1986 Mercury Lynx in the driveway.

She then told me since it was my first call I was eligible to save 20%??? I thought it was free?

On hold the message was repeating "Thanks for calling Canadian Auto Warranty Services".

A minute or two later I was connected with "Gerry" and he asked for my ID#. Then I was surprised to hear the woman who connected me still on the line and she gave him her ID#. It all sounded very professional and legit. I was really impressed.

So Gerry started off by asking me what kind of car I had again. So I repeated the 1986 Mercury Lynx. Then he asked how many Kms were on it. I didn't want to lie so I said 300,000 kms.

At first he seemed a bit shocked. He said "Wow, thats a lot. usually the cut off is 250,000kms. We have to cover our selves too you know. Is everything running ok?" Of course I told him the truth and said everything was running fine. He seemed pretty impressed that my car was still running fine and congratulated me.

Then he said "Well you know we don't usually do this, but since you said everything is running fine, you know what? I'm going to make an exception and talk to my supervisor, because you know you said everything is running fine" A minute later he was back and confirmed that his supervisor had approved it and again reiterated that since I had said everything is running fine they'd have no problem giving me the warranty. This guy was obviously doing me a big favour and I didn't want to let him down.

Now this is the part that really impressed me, Gerry tells me next that my car is now going to be warrantied for:
- 5 Years or 160,000 kms (460,000 kms)
- All internally lubricated engine and transmission parts
- Water Pump
- no deductable
- no inspection
- Take it to the same shop or dealership of my choice and the repairs are 100% covered!

And now the kicker, i'm gettign 20% off the list price for this warranty! How awesome is that?!

All I have to do is pay the $2,293.00 for the 5 years up front by Visa or Debit, or I can pay $395 then make monthly payments after.

Wow!

But part of me was thinking I should be a weary consumer so I asked if I could see some paperwork first on the policy before I paid up front, you know just to see what im actually paying for.

Gerry explained that the moment I paid it would be an 'Active policy' so if I paid he could send me the paper work and I'd be covered right away!

Totally didn't answer my question at all, but man what a deal, how can I pass this up?!

Well my mom finally came over and smacked me, haha.

I ended the call by asking Gerry "How do you sleep at night"

I don't think he understood what I meant.

Anyways here's the stuff I found about these guys on the internet

http://therecord.metrolandwest.com/News/Local/article/424270

http://www.thetelegram.com/index.cfm?sid=181010&sc=79

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/399/RipOff0399483.htm

TomcoPDR
12-22-2008, 11:12 PM
Shocking

Rocky
12-22-2008, 11:16 PM
lol Nice leading of those douchebags.

Boomph
12-22-2008, 11:21 PM
haha i got a call from them today i thought it was legit at first too because one of my car's warranty did recently expired...but i hung up b/c I needed to leave for work

GQBalla
12-22-2008, 11:45 PM
lol i also got a call from them a few days ago

rps13_sx
12-22-2008, 11:52 PM
i got a call from them too, she said u r warranty is about to expire but i didnt have any warranty before so i just hung up

Xtrema
12-23-2008, 12:17 AM
I got the same canned message on my answering machine.

corsvette
12-23-2008, 12:21 AM
This was also in the quarterly newsletter AMVIC sends me,they are offering a FIVE YEAR extended warranty for $175,AMVIC advises that a warranty carrier is a insurance company and must be regestered as such,you can find out if they give you their name and call the alberta insurance counsil @1-800-461-3367.AMVIC never did say in the letter if this was a scam,they just advised not to buy warrantys from a "unknown sorce"but from the selling dealer.