PDA

View Full Version : is XP that bad?

CKY
09-30-2003, 02:09 AM
well since i dont own that current window, n i am considering buying it, but from wat every1 says, its a pain in the ass to reformat ur comp (which i do alot) n is there any other pains in the ass that i should take note for b4 buying it?

prosh
09-30-2003, 02:22 AM
I think your opinion of WinXP is pretty limited to just what some ppl are saying. Its a pain in the ass for them to reformat because they obviously don't know what they're doing.

Personally speaking, I just recently reformatted to clean some things up and for a hardware upgrade. The reformatting and installation of windows took no longer than 45 minutes and thats only because Windows Setup had to format the drive I was using for windows again.

There are many sites on the web that have instructions for backing up, formatting and then reinstalling of Windows and its quite easy. As for buying it, its not cheap, last I checked, WinXP Prof is like $250 bux for the full copy.

I'd recommend 'getting' a corporate copy thru whatever means you can (not that I support pirated software, seeing as I own my legit copy of WinXP). That way you can try it out and see how easy it is to setup etc.

Sean7
09-30-2003, 04:03 AM
Ummmmm, its just as easy to format using XP as any other operating system. Delete, Reinstall done......

NUTZONYOCHIN
09-30-2003, 05:11 AM
I'D REALLY LIKE TO KNOW HOW TO FORMAT XP, I KNOW IT'S NOT THE SAME AS 98, IF ANYONE WANTS TO EXPLAIN OR PUT UP A LINK THAT DOES I WOULD APPRECIATE IT.

NUTZONYOCHIN
09-30-2003, 05:15 AM
CKY, I'M RUNNING XP PRO AND I LOVE IT, THE ONLY PROB I HAVE IS NOT KNOWING HOW TO FORMAT IT. I TRIED B 4 AND SCREWED EVERYTHING UP, BUT HOPEFULLY THE ANSWER TO THAT PROBLEM WILL BE ANSWERED SOON???

accordboi_02
09-30-2003, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by NUTZONYOCHIN
I'D REALLY LIKE TO KNOW HOW TO FORMAT XP, I KNOW IT'S NOT THE SAME AS 98, IF ANYONE WANTS TO EXPLAIN OR PUT UP A LINK THAT DOES I WOULD APPRECIATE IT.

CKY, I'M RUNNING XP PRO AND I LOVE IT, THE ONLY PROB I HAVE IS NOT KNOWING HOW TO FORMAT IT. I TRIED B 4 AND SCREWED EVERYTHING UP, BUT HOPEFULLY THE ANSWER TO THAT PROBLEM WILL BE ANSWERED SOON???

Dude, I think your first step is to learn how to use the "Caps Lock" button... then maybe eventually you can graduate on up to reformatting your HD.
:rolleyes:

CKY - it's stupid easy to install XP. Just pop in the disc, make sure you have your bios settings to read your CD-Rom, then it will automatically boot up, and ask you if you want to delete any current partitions and reformat & install XP... just make sure that you choose the NTFS system format.

:thumbsup:

thich
09-30-2003, 11:24 AM
i like my XP; i have yet to see the blue screen of death

Moonracer
09-30-2003, 12:02 PM
Yeah XP is great and easy to install!

4wheeldrift
09-30-2003, 05:46 PM
I find XP doesn't need to be reinstalled periodically to keep peak performance, its been running reliably for me for over a year now, and not a blue screen or system lockup to be seen in that time.

kaput
09-30-2003, 06:24 PM

Sai
09-30-2003, 07:17 PM
Think of it as if ur useing win98 now and u have a hard drive bigger than 30 gigs go xp :P NTFS is better than FAT32 :)

thich
09-30-2003, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
I find XP doesn't need to be reinstalled periodically to keep peak performance, its been running reliably for me for over a year now, and not a blue screen or system lockup to be seen in that time.

i had XP freeze on me about 2-4 times now; much less than the what Windows 98 put me through....

RiCE-DaDDy
10-01-2003, 02:23 AM
im with everyone, no crashes yet with xp

Dj_Stylz
10-01-2003, 07:25 AM
I have Xp Pro and i think it is great

NUTZONYOCHIN
10-01-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by accordboi_02

Dude, I think your first step is to learn how to use the "Caps Lock" button... then maybe eventually you can graduate on up to reformatting your HD.
:rolleyes:

CKY - it's stupid easy to install XP. Just pop in the disc, make sure you have your bios settings to read your CD-Rom, then it will automatically boot up, and ask you if you want to delete any current partitions and reformat & install XP... just make sure that you choose the NTFS system format.

:thumbsup:

DUDE! I THNK U SHOULD'NT WORRY ABOUT MY CAPS BUTTON BEING ON SO MUCH, I'M SO FUCKING SORRY!!!

AND I THINK U SHOULD LEARN HOW TO READ, CAUSE CKY DID'NT ASK HOW EASY IT WAS TO INSTALL XP RETARD, HE WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT FORMATING!!!

powerslave
10-01-2003, 09:03 PM
XP on here as well and still no problems...

rice_eater
10-03-2003, 12:49 AM
i like XP but i dont like the way it looks...looks too kindergardenish...so in the setup i set it to look like the windows 2000... I have XP pro and it's VERY stable and it really improves games. I have a crappy TNT2 32MB card and i can definately see a decent increase in graphics quality... simply put everything runs smoother now.

Sean7
10-03-2003, 08:10 AM

DUDE! I THNK U SHOULD'NT WORRY ABOUT MY CAPS BUTTON BEING ON SO MUCH, I'M SO FUCKING SORRY!!!

AND I THINK U SHOULD LEARN HOW TO READ, CAUSE CKY DID'NT ASK HOW EASY IT WAS TO INSTALL XP RETARD, HE WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT FORMATING!!!

For starters your CAPS whoreing bugs alot more people then you think. So if you want some help I suggest you stop acting like a 9 year old.

Anyway, I am going to be nice attempt to help you out (although its been awhile since I last formatted). Its tough to screw stuff up on your computer while formatting because once you format, your hard drive is empty and theres nothing on it to screw up, (well on that partition anyway). To format simply insert your XP CD and set your bios to boot from cd-rom before it boots from you hard disk. Then keep following the menu until you have to push F8 to agree to something. Push F8 then push whatever button brings you back a screen. There you will find a list of partitions on your hard drive, pick the one you want to delete or delete all partitions. Then its as easy as clicking the next button to reinstalling XP back onto it. And a blind one armed monkey could do that.

Hope this somewhat helps

NUTZONYOCHIN
10-03-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Sean7

For starters your CAPS whoreing bugs alot more people then you think. So if you want some help I suggest you stop acting like a 9 year old.

Anyway, I am going to be nice attempt to help you out (although its been awhile since I last formatted). Its tough to screw stuff up on your computer while formatting because once you format, your hard drive is empty and theres nothing on it to screw up, (well on that partition anyway). To format simply insert your XP CD and set your bios to boot from cd-rom before it boots from you hard disk. Then keep following the menu until you have to push F8 to agree to something. Push F8 then push whatever button brings you back a screen. There you will find a list of partitions on your hard drive, pick the one you want to delete or delete all partitions. Then its as easy as clicking the next button to reinstalling XP back onto it. And a blind one armed monkey could do that.

Hope this somewhat helps

CAPS WHOREING???Whatever, if everyones gonna cry about my typing so much I'll type like this cause I'm sick of hearing about it from all you lil babies.
Now about formatting XP, I heard that if you want to go back to 98 from XP (Some people do for hardware and software problems ) that it would be really hard if your hard drives have been converted to NTFS, rather then being left as FAT32? Is this true and what is the benifet of converting to the XP drive format?
I left my drives FAT32.

rage2
10-03-2003, 02:12 PM
Now about formatting XP, I heard that if you want to go back to 98 from XP (Some people do for hardware and software problems ) that it would be really hard if your hard drives have been converted to NTFS, rather then being left as FAT32? Is this true and what is the benifet of converting to the XP drive format?
I left my drives FAT32.
FAT32 has no file security.
FAT32 has no native compression.
FAT32 has no encryption.
FAT32 has no quota.

NTFS has those. NTFS also doesn't "need" to be defragged, but that's open for debate :).

If you go from XP to Win98 after converting to NTFS, you will have to boot Win98 from a floppy (Command prompt only mode), FDISK and delete the Non FAT partitions, then recreate a FAT partition and reinstall from scratch. This is because Win98 does not support NTFS.

NUTZONYOCHIN
10-03-2003, 02:43 PM
Thanks Rage, I appreciate the info:thumbsup:

Sean7
10-03-2003, 05:22 PM
NTFS is better..... hands down

Alphawolf
10-04-2003, 07:18 AM
Linux all the way baby..

:D