PDA

View Full Version : Background Check

sgouki
12-23-2008, 03:23 PM
Do you know where I can go to get a background check done on myself. I need it for a job and it's my first time having requested for one.
I tried googling and got a bunch of third party companies. Not sure if those are applicable but I'd probably want something government issue.

Thanks

Rich

Tik-Tok
12-23-2008, 03:27 PM
You mean criminal check?

here's something (http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/crimrec/finger_e.htm)

97'Scort
12-23-2008, 03:27 PM
On yourself? Never heard that before. If a company wants a background check, they have to do it themselves. Otherwise, what's stopping you from messing with the results?

gqmw
12-23-2008, 03:31 PM
^Yeah, it's the company's responsibility to do a background check on you. You shouldn't have to do your own check.

Eleanor
12-23-2008, 03:35 PM
The only reason I could see wanting a check on yourself means that there could be something on there the company shouldn't be seeing so the OP wants to see it before they do.

What did you do?

sgouki
12-23-2008, 03:38 PM
I would assume that the company would probably do a check and this whole thing is just a ruse to test honesty.
They said it's a letter that just discloses whether or not you have a criminal record.

sk8r3124
12-23-2008, 03:54 PM
I had to get a check back in the day when I worked at a liquor store. Maybe its a different background check but I just went to the CPS. Pretty straight forward.

FishPoo
12-23-2008, 04:25 PM
I went to the CPS Administration office downtown by the Calgary Public Library back in the day.

I assume that's what they're looking for.

Graham_A_M
12-23-2008, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by gqmw
^Yeah, it's the company's responsibility to do a background check on you. You shouldn't have to do your own check.

Yep, all you should have to do is sign a waiver signifying that its okay for them to perform the check

kolumbo69
12-23-2008, 05:53 PM
I get one of these everywhere I work if its for calgary as said before go downtown across from the trainstation beside the library talk to the clerk at the front door. If you dont live in calgary any RCMP detatchment will do it. It takes 7- 10 bussiness days and keep your reciept for proof of doing it as some will reimburse you for it.

Most companys/school ask for them based on application so if you dont have it you wont get hired.

5000Audi
12-23-2008, 05:55 PM
yeah go to the cps downtown i think its like 25 bucks or whatever..

DarkDream
12-30-2008, 06:45 AM
Yeah there is a bunch of places to get a criminal background check...

Like everyone said there is the main branch which is downtown next to the library. But there is a couple other police stations that do it as well... Just call one and find out..

If they are looking for the RCMP background check that one is a pain in the ass since it takes so long... but that one verifies you by fingerprints and takes a couple months.

italianunit
01-04-2009, 05:37 PM
As stated they do a background check to see if you're bondable, if you have any limitations- traveling etc.

when I worked for ecolab- I had to have one done, as well as a drivers abstract (Company Car) and I had to be able to get a passport, as I had to go to the US. So they wanted to make sure there weren't any warrants, arrests etc that would prevent me from doing my job.

I also do some volunteer work with Children etc, so I had to get one done there to make sure I wasn't a whacko.

Typically you have to pay for it to get done, but as stated too, you may be reimbursed. The CPS or RCMP can do it for you. They ask you a few questions, and away you go.