PDA

View Full Version : how to get rid of the belly?

03ozwhip
12-24-2008, 06:18 PM
im not overweight if anything, im underweight. im 5'11 170 lbs my problem is that it goes to my chest, ass and belly. now, i dont have access to a gym but my wife just got me a punching bag for xmas to try and get back into muay thai a little bit, i have some barbells as well. what can you cans suggest i do to not lose weight, but tone myself and if anything, gain a little weight?

ragu
12-24-2008, 06:40 PM
1. In order to get back in shape, there's only one thing holding you back, DIET. Cut carbs, add protein.
2. Shit load of cardio

Do NOT make up your own routine, follow this link....http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=972440

If you've got no equipment, http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=5310323

Watch your diet and be consistent....:thumbsup:

kerry
12-24-2008, 06:42 PM
Good advice!

03ozwhip
12-24-2008, 07:02 PM
diet is a huge thing for me, im lazy and dont like cooking really, so i have alot of premade food. how can i incorporate premade food, so i dont have to make food all the time. i know im REAL lazy.

ragu
12-24-2008, 07:33 PM
kk....how about can foods?
chickpeas, tuna and corn. Avoid yolk and go for egg whites. Just basic stuff like boiled chicken, water, fruits and no soda, no empty calories from juices.

Avoid late night meals and fast food and eat smaller, more frequent meals. You can easily control your diet once you know what to eat and what not to eat....

03ozwhip
12-24-2008, 07:38 PM
i dont eat seafood because of allergies, but i can cut out pop, i do drink alot of water, but can replace pop with it, i eat a decent amount of fruits and yogurts, dont really drink juice.

i eat a decent amount of fast food, and i do eat alot for dinner and dont eat eggs often enough for it to matter but i eat alot of high sugar cereal. would whole wheat toast and peanut butter be a good substiution for cereal? anthing else im missing?

edit: i eat alot of crap microwavable canned and frozens for lunch because its quick, any good substitutes for that as well?

ragu
12-24-2008, 07:55 PM
1. Milk and yogurt switch it to skimmed or 0%
2. I would say completely take out Mcdonald, KFC etc.... They've got more shit calories than anything you can eat. I haven't been to any fast food place for ages. But it all depends how fast your metabolism is, but the fact remains that they are all shit.
3. Obviously get rid of all high sugar food, replace it with oats. As far as peanut butter or anything goes, just look at its nutrition % and make sure it has low fat and carbs.

Edit:
Try this; for 2 weeks eat everything at home and cut as much fat as you can from your diet.
1. Run for 10 min
2. http://www.hundredpushups.com/index.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWjTnBmCHTY

Don't try any hard stuff with weights yet, just try those abs and push up basics...
:thumbsup:

03ozwhip
12-24-2008, 08:21 PM
thanks alot for your help, ill try that and see how much will power i have...

max_boost
12-24-2008, 08:33 PM
I've been doing 6 hours of cardio every week + 2 hours of Badminton for the past 4 months and it's still not enough to get rid of the belly! My diet is cleaner than it used to but still not enough. I know I don't have the genetics so you really have to do even more if you want to see those results.

Keep at it!

03ozwhip
12-24-2008, 08:38 PM
well really i started gaining the weight when i had a purely lazy sit down job. in 2005 at 25 i started gaining the weight.

believe it or not, the heaviest i was until then was 130 lbs and i couldnt gain anything for the life of me. now im staying really steady at my weight but the belly is out pretty good haha.

im gonna try my best to tone it though.

ragu
12-24-2008, 08:56 PM
I hear you man; end of 2006 I was 6'3 200lbs enough bulk and pretty damn ripped. Then I slacked off for 2 years, until a couple of months ago I was 248lbs. Started hitting gym about 2 months ago 5 days a week and right now I stand at 235lbs. I've been eating clean and doing cardio.

In my opinion, working out isn't hard at all, its just about following your routines and being steady.

03ozwhip
12-24-2008, 09:14 PM
thats a prety good loss. im really not looking to lose weight, so i hope that doesnt happen, but i do want to bulk up and not get ripped but have a decent shape to me.

rockwolf2001
12-25-2008, 05:23 PM
the most effective way i've seen is www.iwantsixpackabs.com i tried it, never finished the full 16 weeks

but when i was at week 10, i saw proven results

Supa Dexta
12-26-2008, 04:13 AM
Once it starts it can't be beaten.. Look at all the old guys out there,... may as well just give up now and accept it.

03ozwhip
12-30-2008, 02:37 PM
nooooo, im only 28 dude, its not like its huge or anything but its alot bigger than it used to be. anyways, i havent tried much yet, i started eating a bowl of harvest crunch cereal in the morning, a smallish lunch and a bigg "er" dinner.

i work from home so on my breaks, i do a bunch of situps but havent done much else. im on my way to trying though.

Alterac
12-30-2008, 02:47 PM
I used to have a nice belly, was 38 waist.

I changed my diet to cut out pop / excess sweets / most red meat / fast food.

I also stated playing ballhockey (basically hockey, but running) it is intense cardio twice a week.

I am currently a 33 waist now. (6 foot 4, 210lbs)

Cardio for losing fat combined with a good diet like these guys mentioned.

03ozwhip
12-30-2008, 03:09 PM
my diet is seriously the biggest thing for me. im lazy when it comes to foos because i hate cooking and making food. like i said, i got a punching bag for xmas so i could get back into muay thai mode at home, that shit burns some serious fat.

i just need to get a hook to bolt to the support beam and im good to go.

edit: im a 33 waist so im not big, but id like to get down to a 31 and have a trimmer belly, thats my main concern. im not looking for a 6 pack because i know what kind of dedication that is and im not sure i have that especially with a baby on the way.

kutt3r
12-30-2008, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
my diet is seriously the biggest thing for me. im lazy when it comes to foos because i hate cooking and making food.

Raw oats + protien shake

Get a bag of salad, add protien 6oz (tuna/chicken/steak), no fat dressing... done. (You can get it all pre-cooked cut)

Get a rice cooker and some brown rice, cook as per directions (no work by measuring water/rice) add protien 6oz, add 2 cups of fibrous veg. (brocc/aspargus/spinich etc...)

There are a couple simple ideas to get you going....

03ozwhip
12-30-2008, 03:35 PM
makes sense. how often is this suppose to be eaten? i thought rice was full of carbs?

1997GSR
12-30-2008, 03:37 PM
rice is good for you. good carbs + protein. build your meals around rice and veggies.

punching bag is good. go buy some warm clothes, good sneakers and start running.

1997GSR
12-30-2008, 03:38 PM
maybe even think about taking some supplements. whey protein is a good one to start.

kutt3r
12-30-2008, 03:53 PM
makes sense. how often is this suppose to be eaten? i thought rice was full of carbs?

Carbs are good... there are very few people that can do a low carb diet, they suck and they are not for you (yet). (just starting out, not cooking etc...)

What you have to look at is good vs bad carbs.

Whole wheat = good
Anything with white flour, rice included = bad
Veggies = good stick to fiberous ones
Fruit = becareful, lots of natural sugar
Sugar/processed food = VERY bad

This is very simple but gives you an idea of the basics (googled)
http://www.theworkoutstudio.com/library/0106_FRUITSFIBROUSVEGETABLESKMP.pdf

Best is small meals every couple of hours, try to start with 4, then 5.

For snacks think and handful of almonds and a piece of fruit or yogurt. (yes these count as a meal, try for 3 whole meals and 2 snacks to start and you will notice a difference)

Simply eating a whole wheat sandwich with low fat turkey with some lettuce would make a world of difference to your diet. Start small and you will notice a difference.

03ozwhip
12-30-2008, 03:56 PM
i tried mammoth whey a few years ago to gain weight, because like i said i couldnt gain weight for the life of me, but it didnt work for me. im not really into it that much, i just wanna tone myself at my own pace without spending a load of money on supps and gross healthy foods.

03ozwhip
12-30-2008, 03:58 PM
so much good help in this thread, thanks alot guys.

03ozwhip
12-30-2008, 05:21 PM
another question...fact or fiction....eating after 8pm, whats the deal with this?

1997GSR
12-30-2008, 05:26 PM
consuming a big meal late at night doesn't give your body time to break it down as much as it can. you do burn calories while you sleep, but it is best to eat light after 8 and consume your larger meals earlier.

kutt3r
12-30-2008, 05:36 PM
another question...fact or fiction....eating after 8pm, whats the deal with this?

You will get mixed on this, but it is generally accepted that eating carbs at night is bad, but there is a fine line between being eating and going hungry.

Protiens are better if you are hungry at night, a handful of nuts with fat are great as they will leave you feeling more full, cottage cheese, protien shake... nothing that needs to be cooked :D

03ozwhip
12-30-2008, 05:40 PM
but chips and dip are no good huh? cause i love that shit at night haha. that makes sense though.

A790
12-30-2008, 05:44 PM
i tried mammoth whey a few years ago to gain weight, because like i said i couldnt gain weight for the life of me, but it didnt work for me. im not really into it that much, i just wanna tone myself at my own pace without spending a load of money on supps and gross healthy foods.
Gaining weight is all about maintaining a caloric surplus. Find out what your metabolic rate burns per day and then set your diet to give you a small surplus of calories (don't forget to factor your work out into this). One thing I've seen people do with success is eat based around their workout days, and on days they don't workout they continue to eat the same. So, for 5 of the 7 days they might only have a 50 calorie difference (for example), but on the other 2 there might be a 600 or 700 calorie difference.

As long as you are training and properly utilizing the calories and eating healthy foods you'll grow just fine.

Originally posted by 1997GSR
consuming a big meal late at night doesn't give your body time to break it down as much as it can. you do burn calories while you sleep, but it is best to eat light after 8 and consume your larger meals earlier.

I think 8 is kind of an arbitrary figure. I try not to have a big meal if I'm going to bed in a couple of hours, but if I know I'll be up until 2 or 3 I'll have something around 8:30 or so.

kutt3r
12-30-2008, 06:00 PM
but chips and dip are no good huh? cause i love that shit at night haha. that makes sense though.

haha yea that will pack on the pounds... but I cannot say I have never done it
:nut:

sexualbanana
12-30-2008, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by kutt3r

haha yea that will pack on the pounds... but I cannot say I have never done it
:nut:

Could've fooled me..... :D