PDA

View Full Version : How are MLB players the highest paid atheletes of any sport?

copynpaste
12-24-2008, 06:27 PM
Its not like baseball is that great of a sport to begin with lol. Sorry but hockey will always remain as the best damn fuckin sport in the world and baseball doesnt even compare.

The richest contract that stands as of today in MLB, is CC Sabathia's seven-year, $161 million! Thats $23,000,000 each season! I could be wrong though, it still might be A-rod when he signed that /4 billion dollar contract years ago.

Thats so much fuckin money I wouldnt even know what to do with it. I would probably pass out in shock and disbelief.:D Even basketball players are paid in outrageous amounts, but when you compare their salaries to baseball its really nothing. Both of these sports badly need salary caps implemented. I mean just look up the top 3 paid players on the Yanks and that will tell you exactly what is wrong.

rumeo
12-24-2008, 06:30 PM
that money could go to so many better causes

EK 2.0
12-24-2008, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by rumeo

that money could go to so many better causes

yeah....

Like me...

5000Audi
12-24-2008, 06:31 PM
i actually heard some doods contract the other day and i was shocked.. like wow baceball is gay... its not like its that hard to play.. the pitcher should be the only one making good money.. but 23 million a year.. shit ovechkin makes 13 mill in 12 years i think it was.. wow i wanna play baceball now lol

Team_Mclaren
12-24-2008, 06:37 PM
because MLB doesnt have a cap?

you know that the Yankees are basiclly made out of money right, they make soooo much each year its retarded.

edit:
http://nymag.com/news/features/2007/profit/32903/

liquidboi69
12-24-2008, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by 5000Audi
i actually heard some doods contract the other day and i was shocked.. like wow baceball is gay... its not like its that hard to play.. the pitcher should be the only one making good money.. but 23 million a year.. shit ovechkin makes 13 mill in 12 years i think it was.. wow i wanna play baceball now lol

Wow what an ignorant post, every time I try to get a real baseball game going since I was a kid, everyone just fucking fails cause no one can hit, or throw right. For you to say its an easy sport is totally ignorant man haha.

Anyways its whatever puts money in the seats, and it seems like Baseball is USA's sport. More money in seats, more money to players.

I don't like hockey, but its not like I bash on that sport. Hockey requires its own set of skills and I appreciate it as a sport. You can always tell the difference between a real sports fan or just a fanboy for a sport.

sabad66
12-24-2008, 06:41 PM
It's because they play like 162 games a year or something like that. Even if they sell like half the seats they still make a killing

ExtraSlow
12-24-2008, 06:47 PM
The Players make the most because the sport has the most viewers with the most disposable income. Thus, high advertising revenue.

Doesn't make any difference how "hard" a specific sport is. Reward is NOT linked to effort. If it was Nurses would make like 10x what they do now.

Team_Mclaren
12-24-2008, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by sabad66
It's because they play like 162 games a year or something like that. Even if they sell like half the seats they still make a killing

but the average price of a ticket is something like $28...

copynpaste
12-24-2008, 07:06 PM
Top 10 highest paid players in the NBA. Their salary for this season.

1. Kevin Garnett - $24,750,000
2. Jermaine O’Neal - $21,372,000
2. Jason Kidd - $21,372,000
3. Kobe Bryant - $21,262,500
4. Tracy McGrady - $21,126,875
5. Allen Iverson - $20,840,625
6. Tim Duncan - $20,598,704
7. Shaquille O’Neal - $20,000,000
8. Paul Pierce - $18,977,905
9. Shawn Marion - $17,810,000
10. Ray Allen - $17,388,430

So I guess NBA is not far behind lol. How the heck is 2 time MVP Steve Nash not on there?

bball2
12-24-2008, 07:31 PM
Michael Jordan made 30/33 million in his final 2 years with the bulls

And doesn't Lewis Hamilton make close to 30 million a year with the McLaren deal?

But in general MLB players are definitely the highest paid

EK 2.0
12-24-2008, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by copynpaste

So I guess NBA is not far behind lol. How the heck is 2 time MVP Steve Nash not on there?

Cause he's Canadian...

LongCity
12-24-2008, 07:39 PM
The hell is JO on that NBA list for. Lucky to be him... getting paid to be hurt.

max_boost
12-24-2008, 08:09 PM
The Yankees are just throwing the money around like crazy.

Texeira (sp), Burnett, CC :eek:
That's $400million+ for those 3 players. :nut:

That team is stacked! Who else are they goign to add?

ExtraSlow
12-24-2008, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
The Yankees are just throwing the money around like crazy.

Texeira (sp), Burnett, CC :eek:
That's $400million+ for those 3 players. :nut:

That team is stacked! Who else are they goign to add?
Jesus and Satan are next.

herragge
12-24-2008, 10:19 PM
They make outrageous amounts. But a smart thing to do would be to train your sons from the get-go to play baseball. And get him to get you in on the cheddar.

Mibz
12-25-2008, 12:34 AM
I thought M. Schumacher was making triple digit millions per season near the end of his career. That may have been including endorsements I guess.

FLARE
12-25-2008, 12:34 AM
Its not like baseball is that great of a sport to begin with lol. Sorry but hockey will always remain as the best damn fuckin sport in the world and baseball doesnt even compare.

The richest contract that stands as of today in MLB, is CC Sabathia's seven-year, $161 million! Thats $23,000,000 each season! I could be wrong though, it still might be A-rod when he signed that /4 billion dollar contract years ago.

Thats so much fuckin money I wouldnt even know what to do with it. I would probably pass out in shock and disbelief.:D Even basketball players are paid in outrageous amounts, but when you compare their salaries to baseball its really nothing. Both of these sports badly need salary caps implemented. I mean just look up the top 3 paid players on the Yanks and that will tell you exactly what is wrong.

If you think you could swing at a 100 mile an hour pitch, then why aren't you playing?

If you think the players are paid over the top, you should look into how much the owners get out of a season ;)

Weapon_R
12-25-2008, 02:27 AM
Hitting a major league baseball is considered the hardest thing to do in any major league sport.

Nissanaddict
12-25-2008, 03:17 AM
Although I think that baseball has 0 excitement factor, I have to at least acknowledge what goes on when a pitcher and batter are up. Those pitchers can pitch a 100MPH fastball, or pitch at a slightly slower speed, but make the ball curve in any direction they want at the end, or make it dip, go up, make it go all over, etc...I don't know how Americans are so captivated by the sport though. Other than pitching and batting (which as I said, is skillful, but boring) there are maybe 10 amazing fielding plays league-wide all year. As far as NBA, I believe they have a cap (Baseball is the only uncapped North American major sports league I believe), it's just much higher than the NHLs.
Ovechkin makes $9.5 million a year (not 13 for 12 years)

MLB simply has no motivation to even the playing field, so they haven't put in a cap. It gets worse too. You can only trade a player under contract, you can't trade rights like in the NHL (say, you draft a player, you can trade him before you ink him to a deal). You also can't trade draft picks in baseball, and there's no rookie cap. The worst teams pick first, but since hot-shot best guy in the draft demands too much money, the crap team can't afford to pay them, and just drafts someone crappier, as they can't trade anything for it.
After this, to further reasons for hating baseball, I was going to go on about "The few big money teams are always tops" card...but since I'm a fan of Premier League Football (Soccer), I can't pull that card at all. As far as why people watch baseball, don't ask me.

anarchy
12-25-2008, 03:36 AM
Yeah MLB is a joke. I certainly have an appreciation for the skill and talent it takes to succeed in the sport, but the way the league run is ridiculous.

They need a cap but that'll never happen, it's all politics. They have a luxury tax, which I think the Yankees just paid $29 million for? And that spreads the money amongst the remaining teams. So why do the Pirates care how much their payroll is if they are getting paid regardless.

But like someone mentioned, they get paid so much because there's 160+ games or something I think. I'd be surprised if average ticket is only $28, but they have a high capacity, and you gotta consider everything else as well not just tickets. Ie. food vendors, merchandise sales, parking etc. It's mad revenue.

And Bud Selig is the commish and owner of the Brewers isn't he? Conflict of interest, no?

Lastly, A-Rod and Jeter have the top two contracts. But Sabathia and Texiera I believe are now 3 and 4.

sexualbanana
12-25-2008, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by sabad66

And believe it or not, merchandising in the MLB is ridiculous. Think about the different variations of hats and clothing with MLB logos. That's why teams like the Dodgers, Yankees, and Sox always seem to have so much money to spend on players.

Jlude
12-25-2008, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
because MLB doesnt have a cap?

you know that the Yankees are basiclly made out of money right, they make soooo much each year its retarded.

edit:
http://nymag.com/news/features/2007/profit/32903/

That's just insane.

theken
12-25-2008, 09:42 AM
Do some quick math. 162 games a year divided by his yearly salary. Then do ovechkins with 82 games hockey players make more per game by quite a bit. And baseball players seldom face injury.

5hift
12-25-2008, 12:10 PM
Some of you guys dont realize MLB is a business first and a sport second. The Yankees make more off just their tv contracts than what their costs are to run the team. Spending $400 Million on 3 players is peanuts to them.

The amounts paid to CC, AJ & Tex are high and it is unfair to other teams trying to compete that dont have the same money to spend. But what you dont realize is for a world wide recognized team, in the biggest and most loyal baseball market in the world, there is no option besides winning. Go to New York during the baseball season. Yankee fans are more crazy about every regular season game, than Calgary was during the 04 Flames playoff run.

There is no salary cap in baseball, but there is a luxury tax, that all the rich teams that spend big have to dispurse to the weaker poor teams. If you look at how much the poor teams recieved, and how much they spent, its obvious the small market teams owners' kept almost all the money instead of spending on free agents.

Another thing to consider in this arguement for the salary cap wanting parity among the league is that its not best for the sport. Yeah as a fan of a shitty team, its nice to see your team make the playoffs. But do any of you guys realize that if Boston or New York is not in the world series, the ratings are always low. Small market teams and their fans bitch about parity, but then when their team is in the world series, its always extremely low ratings.

Yeah the Yankees try to buy a world series every few years. Who cares. The last time they won, was on the backs of home grown, drafted players. All these signings are doing is depleting their farm teams and forcing them to spend even more in the future.

The way I see these signings is this: CC is good, but has never been dominant like he was with the Brewers last year. Put him in the media fishbowl of NY, add the fact that he is 150 lbs overweight, and you've got a injury case who's already played his best baseball. Then look at AJ. The guy is a walking injury. The only good 2 years he has ever had were both years before a contract year. If he cant handle the Blue Jay fans, I wonder if he has the slightest idea of what to expect from the NY fans. Lastly look at Tex. Getting paid like MVP, yet has never been even top 5 in voting. Before his trade to the angels, he wasnt doing very good with the Braves. He is a very slight improvement over Jason Giambi but costing a hell of a lot more.

4/5 of NY's starting staff are either injury cases or coming off a serious injury. Their bullpen is wayy to old. They have a good offense but that doesnt matter in playoffs. They still will be challenged to even make the playoffs with Tampa and Boston in the same division.

Godfuader
12-25-2008, 12:39 PM
I find baseball boring, even when I was at Yankee Stadium watching live...but the fans are intense. I think I read somewhere that MLB.com is worth just over $2 Billion due to millions of hits a day. The revenue for MLB was $6 Billions for 2007. Put that in perspective, and its like have a business that generates $1000/hr and a top performing employee gets $3.75/hr

Aleks
12-25-2008, 01:12 PM

I bet less than 1% of world's population would agree with your hockey statement haha

three.eighteen.
12-25-2008, 01:15 PM
scott boras...look him up

mucat
12-26-2008, 11:54 PM
Put a professional baseball player in a rink and put a professional hockey player in a field, let's see how long does it take for them to be competent in the other sport :)

Gabe182
12-27-2008, 03:42 AM
Soccer players get payed an insane amount of money for playing 30 games a year.
Ronaldinho gets payed 29.5 million a year...thats a million a game bitches.
IMO that destroys any of these other athletes.

KRyn
12-27-2008, 03:52 AM
David Beckham is making about 50 million dollars a year playing soccer for the Galaxy. It works out to about 1 million dollars a week or so and the guy is a horrible soccer player now.

canadianskyline
12-27-2008, 10:50 AM
Americans love boring ass sports.

Seriously.

Like Nascar, holy shit it's the most boring fucking thing ever and I even saw it in person. It's better on tv than it is in person, and it's fuckin brutal on tv too.

I think they like "being a fan" more than the sport itself. Like all these dudes wives with 500 dollar nascar jackets trying to wave their favorite driver around the track every time they go around. They are really excited about it. Fuck, nascar is so boring on its own they had to start throwing "debris" cautions to bunch the field up when someone starts to run away with it.

I dont get it.

Eleanor
12-28-2008, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by canadianskyline
I dont get it.
And a lot of people don't get drifting.

To each his own :dunno:

To get back on topic, baseball players get paid most because baseball makes the most money. Pretty simple economics if you ask me.

core_upt
12-28-2008, 02:55 PM
As said, baseball teams make a ton of money, mostly off the field. F1 drivers tend to have the top contracts, such as Fernando Alonso and Kimi Räikkönen at 40 and 51M a season respectively, plus endorsements on top of that, making auto racing the top paying professional sport.

ARod contracts in Texas and then in NY are still worht more per year than CCs.

NHL teams are often owned and run at a loss as a tax credit or write off of sorts for the companies that own them. Very few actually make money.

yue
12-28-2008, 11:27 PM
this is why my friend is going to get his future kid into baseball. MLB doesn't have the demands of most other pro sports. height for basketball, size for football, money for racing, etc.

if people want to cheer on a millionaire on because he can hit/catch/throw a ball then let them.

r3ccOs
12-28-2008, 11:53 PM
This is one particular example for an "exceptional" team (not necessarilly in performance) when it comes to its total spend

The league however is comprised much like any other sport franchises; where the rest are as close of a level of paid talent and the whole bit.

Its just the MLB has to find another way to re-enforce a salary cap, where in this case with the Yanks, is just a slap on the wrist.

Salary caps in North America have since proven quite well, increasing the competitiveness of the leagues as whole.

Soccer is a completely different beast, with the exception of the MLS.
The MLS like again your "North American" sport, has a stricly re-enforced salary cap, which really took its toll on the Galaxy, as they have sevearly hampered their roster by taking a gamble on Becks.

I don't think that "Salary" capping any european UEFA league is going to work unless its a general concencious signed off by FIFA themselves and each league's governing bodies, such as the FA.

Why? I think its in the sake of each Country's pride and reputation.
Though I find it amusing that teams such as Arsenal, which contains less than a handfull of domestic talent, represent "England" as a top performing EPL team... but I'm just rambling now.

Though incredilby tough to make it through the ranks, I think Soccer has the highest income potentail, should someone make it to that world class level of skill.

PGTze
12-28-2008, 11:59 PM
Baseball's off season is only like 2 months compared to football, hockey, basketball who get like 3-5 months off (yes I realize all athletes pretty much train year round now). That accounts for some of the discrepancies.

DJ_NAV
12-29-2008, 12:11 AM
Isn't Sailing(or some boat sport) is the highest paying and earning sport?

pyroza
12-29-2008, 12:41 AM
Only in baseball can you be successful 4/10 times and be considered one of the best to ever play the game.

Team_Mclaren
12-29-2008, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by pyroza
Only in baseball can you be successful 4/10 times and be considered one of the best to ever play the game.

:rofl: :rofl:

someone need to rock this as their sig in a baseball forum

three.eighteen.
12-29-2008, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by pyroza

and you realize that a successful hockey shooting percentage is like 10%-15%