PDA

View Full Version : Sony Blu Ray Player Problem

bosa
12-25-2008, 11:58 PM
Wow, a big up to my parents this year. They hooked me up with a big screen Sony Bravia with a Sony Blu Ray player.

Main question is, do I need more cables than what come with the player to make it work? Like an HDMI cord or an S cord? I've hooked up all 6 cables that came with it, red, white, yellow between the player and the TV, and all it says is 'system error' on the player.

I can only manually turn it off, can't use the remote, cause I assume it's not hooked up correctly but I don't know what else I need to do.

Any help will be greatly appreciated cause I'm going shopping tomorrow and maybe I can pick up some cables or something.

Merry Christmas!

Mitsu3000gt
12-26-2008, 12:02 AM
If your goal is simply to watch a blu-ray, all you need is one HDMI cable going between the TV and blu-ray player, and of course the power cords for each unit. Just make sure the source on the TV is set to "HDMI 1" or whatever it is. Both audio and video comes through HDMI.

bosa
12-26-2008, 12:13 AM
So I just need to buy and hook up 1 HDMI cable in one of the spots, nothing else? After that, there's no use for the 6 cables given?

sr20s14zenki
12-26-2008, 12:20 AM
That is correct.

hdmi is all you need

High Definition Media Interface.

sound, video, everything goes thru that

bosa
12-26-2008, 12:22 AM
Awesome, thanks guys.

Can anyone recommend a decent HDMI cable? Does Sony make one?

sr20s14zenki
12-26-2008, 12:23 AM
Go to memory express, they have what you need

heres a 2meter (6 feet)

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX19873(ME).aspx

beecue
12-26-2008, 01:19 AM
If you can wait buy it from monoprice.com

Bimmer88
12-26-2008, 01:30 AM
I can get you high quality HDMI cables for $40 bucks and it transmits up to 10 GBPS though you don't need that high but up to you.

And HDMI is all you need... no S-Video, no component video, because HDMI has both Video and Audio already.

Mitsu3000gt
12-26-2008, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by Bimmer88
I can get you high quality HDMI cables for $40 bucks and it transmits up to 10 GBPS though you don't need that high but up to you.

And HDMI is all you need... no S-Video, no component video, because HDMI has both Video and Audio already.

No need to spend anywhere NEAR $40 for an HDMI, even 22 gauge 25 ft cables aren't that much unless you're buying from the wrong place.

bosa
12-26-2008, 03:53 AM
Is there that big of a difference when it comes to picking a certain HDMI cable for quality and sound?

I just looked on futureshop.ca.. some of those cables are selling for $250 :nut: .

DannyO
12-26-2008, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by bosa
Is there that big of a difference when it comes to picking a certain HDMI cable for quality and sound?

I just looked on futureshop.ca.. some of those cables are selling for $250 :nut: .

No difference, like said, go to Memory Express and buy one from them for cheap, it will do the EXACT same job with the same quality as those overpriced Monster cables at FS and BB, or like said goto Monoprice.com and buy them.

Once again you will only need the HDMI, that cable it came with is junk, they always are, its a composite cable and the quality would be shit on your TV, HDMI or Component is what you need.