PDA

View Full Version : Which GPS?

Isaiah
12-26-2008, 08:32 PM
I've purchased both for my mom for Christmas and will be returning one. Please advise based on experience with either unit. Please elaborate if possible as I would like to know the reasons for choosing one over the other.

If you know of another unit that falls within the $200-$250 price range that on for a good price during boxing week, please feel free to suggest along with advantages of that particular unit.

Thanks.

rps13_sx
12-26-2008, 08:47 PM
make sure you dont get omnitech they suck

Cooked Rice
12-26-2008, 09:00 PM
Garmin has the best maps and IMO easiest to use. I've been using Garmin before all the portable in-car ones came out. I was very impressed with my Garmin hand held which I used as a supplemental navigation aid when flying. I then purchased Metroguide Canada to upload streets maps for street/car use, and that was even better. This was about 4-5 years ago. I worked at Best Buy and Garmins were always the best seller. And it is what I always recommended. All of their Nuvi units are great. I borrowed my sister's 200C when I moved here last year to help me find my way around. No complaints. I used a Tom-Tom once and it was complete garbage. It couldn't lock you onto roads. I'd be traveling down the QE2, and it would say im traveling in the field. Also the maps on the Tom Tom's suck. They have bad orientation settings, roads are poorly labelled, and cluttered. Garmin Nuvi series :thumbsup:

Isaiah
12-26-2008, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by rps13_sx
make sure you dont get omnitech they suck

Thank you for the most redundant poll reply in the history of the internet. In fact, probably in the history of polls (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_poll), which apparently originated in 1824.

Isaiah
12-26-2008, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Cooked Rice
Garmin has the best maps and IMO easiest to use. I've been using Garmin before all the portable in-car ones came out. I was very impressed with my Garmin hand held which I used as a supplemental navigation aid when flying. I then purchased Metroguide Canada to upload streets maps for street/car use, and that was even better. This was about 4-5 years ago. I worked at Best Buy and Garmins were always the best seller. And it is what I always recommended. All of their Nuvi units are great. I borrowed my sister's 200C when I moved here last year to help me find my way around. No complaints. I used a Tom-Tom once and it was complete garbage. It couldn't lock you onto roads. I'd be traveling down the QE2, and it would say im traveling in the field. Also the maps on the Tom Tom's suck. They have bad orientation settings, roads are poorly labelled, and cluttered. Garmin Nuvi series :thumbsup:

Terrific feedback to consider. Thanks alot.

szw
12-26-2008, 11:00 PM
I've tried a lot of GPS units in the last two months and my favourite is a hacked one running iGo8 software.

I got a mio C520 which can be easily unlocked to run any mapping software you want (garmin, tomtom, igo)...iGo8 is my favourite by far. Routing is good and the lane assist and reality view functions are really useful (tell you which lanes to stay in while driving on the highway).

I used a garmin GPS and the garmin maps were fine but the interface was crap....slow and unusable IMO.

I tried Magellin and I can't put my finger on it, but I didn't like it.

c520 has bluetooth also for handsfree calling. Too bad this model is at the end of the cycle though and stock is empty (may be refilled): http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10090113&catid=25833

Oh yeah one more thing that may not be important to you, but it was VERY important to me...was having a GPS that automatically shut down when you turn off your car. Sounds like a small thing but it gets so annoying to have to add one more thing to do before you exit your car.

Many other gps units can be unlocked easily, one good one I was considering is this one: http://www.gpscity.ca/item-nokia-500-widescreen-gps/nk500gps.htm

Your'e pretty much just buying it for the hardware only since you can run any software you want. "unlocking" usually just consists of buying an SD card and loading some software onto it.

Isaiah
12-26-2008, 11:23 PM
SZW, thanks for the helpful tips. Insofar as unlocking the unit and loading software, regardless of how easy it is, my mom just won't bother. Since the unit is for her, what I am looking for in order of importance is:

1. Accuracy in locating and directing (preferably with text to speech)
2. Simplicity and ease of use
3. Portability (mounting/removal of unit, battery capacity)
4. Extras (bluetooth, non-subscription traffic alerts, etc...)
5. Aesthetics

Based on Cooked Rice's suggestion, I have added a Garmin unit to the poll for good measure.

Lex350
12-27-2008, 01:03 AM
I've had a magellan for a couple of years. It tracks well and was eat to update.

Cooked Rice
12-27-2008, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by Isaiah
SZW, thanks for the helpful tips. Insofar as unlocking the unit and loading software, regardless of how easy it is, my mom just won't bother. Since the unit is for her, what I am looking for in order of importance is:

1. Accuracy in locating and directing (preferably with text to speech)
2. Simplicity and ease of use
3. Portability (mounting/removal of unit, battery capacity)
4. Extras (bluetooth, non-subscription traffic alerts, etc...)
5. Aesthetics

Based on Cooked Rice's suggestion, I have added a Garmin unit to the poll for good measure.

1. All units can give you simple instructions in speech, as in, turn left/right, at next intersection, exit left/right, and give you distance: 'left/right in XX kilometers/meters". But some will actually say street names for example instead of saying turn right in 500 meters, it will say turn right onto edmonton trail in 500 meters. a nice feature with the garmin is you can touch the next direction given on the screen and it will show you the upcoming intersection and what type it is, how it looks like, where you need to go, ex a busy off ramp where there's multiple branch offs.

2. When I worked at Best Buy we had a handful of older customers, elderly, grand parents etc... you name it. It really only took me on average 5 to 10 minutes at most explaining how to use a Garmin unit to them. Older customers would come back after road trips and such to pick up extras as gifts and such and as for friends. I think the Garmin Nuvi's have the easiest to read maps/on screen directions when your actually driving. I find other units give you extra streets and names of other streets that clutter the display and they have nothing to do with where you want to go.

3. They are all pretty portable. I'm not sure if tom-tom fixed this, but they have some units that are a PITA to get onto the window mount. It's like lining up a sliding battery cover on a TV remove, with then cover fixed to something. Most units though, are simple clip on and off of the mount, real simple and easy. As mentioned... The Garmin has an automatic power off feature when you turn off your car. It gives you the option of leaving the unit on and running off the battery by touching the "stay on" or if you leave it alone, it turns off itself in 15 seconds.

4. Yes, some will allow you to use it with a cell phone and such for hands free calling but I find it doesn't work to well, especially road noise and trying to hear and be heard by the person who's on the other end. Traffic alerts are not that good here in Canada, usually very limited service and delayed.

5. Well, personal preference, but they all generally look pretty similar. Bigger screen of course is easier to read, but may be more distracting to driving.

johnboy27
12-27-2008, 10:37 AM
I have a Garmin nuvi 250w and I love it. I had a sony before this one and although I loved the suction cup mount( the suction cup was by far the best on the market for any suction cup mount devcie) nothing else was spectacular.

frozenrice
12-27-2008, 10:47 AM
Is it essential that you have to have bluetooth? You listed the Garmin 265WT. The 255W is exactly the same except without bluetooth. Based on what cooked rice said, may be worthwhile to look at and save a few bucks (based on what MSRP pricing says anyways).

Isaiah
12-27-2008, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by frozenrice
Is it essential that you have to have bluetooth? You listed the Garmin 265WT. The 255W is exactly the same except without bluetooth. Based on what cooked rice said, may be worthwhile to look at and save a few bucks (based on what MSRP pricing says anyways).

The 265 is $100 off at Future Shop for boxing week.

ExtraSlow
12-27-2008, 11:05 AM
I have the Garmin Nuvi 370, and I love it. I would highly recommend any of the Garmin Nuvi models.
That being said, you might get an even better deal online, like at Tiger Direct.
Tiger Direct Garmin Nuvi 750 (http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3520047&Sku=G145-0198)
Garmin Nuvi 360 (http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2323328&Sku=G145-0090)
Both are under $250 including shipping.

Weapon_R
12-27-2008, 11:22 AM
I'd stick with the Garmin or TomTom. TomTom has good online technical support and it's the best selling GPS company on earth so there will be a lot of information if things go wrong.

The Garmin uses NAVTEQ maps which are the best in the industry. Garmin units also calculates distance better than any unit I've used and is extremely accurate. I'd take the Garmin first, TomTom second.

I wouldn't even consider companies like Magellan, Mio, and LG etc. They are almost always second when the two above are in the mix.

frozenrice
12-27-2008, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Isaiah

The 265 is $100 off at Future Shop for boxing week.

That's a good deal then.

Isaiah
12-27-2008, 12:16 PM
Thanks everyone for the great feedback. I've decided to return the 2 units and purchase the Garmin.