PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Police to ease up on ticket quotas

Hakkola
09-30-2003, 07:51 PM
Just heard something about it on the news, anybody have any details?

sxtasy
09-30-2003, 07:54 PM
certain officers will not have to meet quotas, officers who are working on longer slower cases. They are also trying to mend officer and manager relationships by easing up on the quotas. A step for the good, quotas are BS

pinoyhero
09-30-2003, 08:14 PM
The quota used to be 1 ticket per shift but they are relaxing that such that police who are working on a "other cases" do not have to meet this quota. I agree quotas are not all that great.

5.9 R/T
09-30-2003, 08:28 PM
The Quota got me today, to the tune of 230 bucks. :banghead:

kenny
09-30-2003, 08:42 PM
I don't think this will really change anything. Some cops will still be going to the usual speeding spots to write the tickets they need when they need to.

Police are no longer under as much pressure to target you for traffic tickets.

Officers had been expected to write 20 tickets per month -- or one per shift.

Now, they only have to write 20 if they are not busy.

Police Association president Al Koenig says it's a welcome break.

"It was almost like they were being chained to a radar gun," he told Global News.

"The difficulty that we had was there may be a case where officers were training recruits, and they would still be required to bring 20 summons in for themselves when their primary function was to be teaching new recruits how to do policing."

The police chief as never admitted to imposing a quota. He says all members had, and still do have, a reasonable expectation to write tickets -- with no numbers attached.

"If they were busy on other issues for example: investigations, community projects, answering calls to service," chief Jack Beaton told Global News, "of course, we didn't expect them to come up with one summons per shift. So, we're taking that back into account."

Now, it will be up to an officer's supervisor to make the call.

Koenig says it won't necessarily mean fewer tickets, and that you can still expect to be pulled over if you're breaking the law.

"I think what you're going to see is more balanced enforcement," he said.

"You're going to see the drivers who know where the fishing holes are.

"They can start looking over their shoulder because our officers now have the latitude to go after them or wait for them."

Police say they're not worried they'll lose some of the $22 million in revenue from traffic fines every year with the new rule in place, because most fines went up last May.

http://www.canada.com/calgary/story.asp?id=6A5B91F3-92BE-4304-A737-97D5C19ED254

ryder_23
09-30-2003, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
The quota used to be 1 ticket per shift but they are relaxing that such that police who are working on a "other cases" do not have to meet this quota. I agree quotas are not all that great.

quota is 20 tickets per month, no matter what department, and traffic devision of course had more.

Barlow
10-01-2003, 12:54 PM
They took the quote off the police so they won;t be so anal, bout giving tivkets and meeting quotas, now they might be a little more leanant towards us.

ryder_23
10-01-2003, 12:56 PM
Compltly off or just reduced it?

rage2
10-01-2003, 01:01 PM
From what I heard, the quotas are still there. The only difference is the officers who don't hit the quota won't get in crap if they were doing other work and didn't have time to write tickets.

They also said that revenue won't be affected, since the fines went up recently.

Talies R
10-01-2003, 01:04 PM
Good to know, I've been getting a ticket almost every weekend since July.

rage2
10-01-2003, 01:11 PM
Jesus! How do u still have your license???

Talies R
10-01-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Jesus! How do u still have your license???

I keep going down to reserve my plea's & make deals with other tickets. So far everything has gone through with 0 points...and I've had the odd photo rader.

* Also, everytime I get pulled over...they like to add the oversize muffler fine which is getting annoying.

Roadrage
10-01-2003, 03:48 PM
You have got to be kidding me? 20 ticket quota per month = 1 ticket per work day/shift (assuming they work 5 days a week) and they find it too troublesome to do? That's like saying I'm going to work 7.5 hours a day but won't reply to any emails cause I'm " too busy with other projects."

Ticketing is one of there responsibilities/duties just as replying to emails is one of mine.

fast95pony
10-01-2003, 06:16 PM
One ticket each shift shouldn't be too difficult. I see half a dozen illegal actions in my ten minute drive to work each day !!

I guess Tim Horton's will appreciate the extra business !! :D