PDA

View Full Version : Review: The Keg @ Westin Hotel

1997GSR
12-27-2008, 11:14 PM
So I went to the Keg at the Westin with my old man and brother tonight for a bite. Here is what I thought of this place.

Service: 1.5/5

We were not greeted at the front of the restaurant and had to stand around waiting for the 15 year old kid to check our reservation. He did not say hello. BTW, this place was overstaffed and had around 10-12 bussers chatting away about UFC and shit. Our waitress, whom I did not catch her name (she was the only one there who was a 2/10, so if you see her move to a different section) was snooty and sarcastic. The worst combination... but I digress. If it were up to me she would have gotten nothing for a tip, but my Dad is a nice guy. Manager also walked by many times and never checked in. No one said good bye to us as we exited. Fail

Food: 2.5/5

Salad sucked. Tasted like something sitting around at McDonalds. I had the NY Steak Medium well and I was very impressed. I am a steak snob and this was darn good. The baked potato was overloaded with sour cream and I hate sour cream. The water was pretty good though.

Ambience: 4/5

I love the way they put the place together. The art is cool and the wine displays throughout are nice.

I guess it is a Keg restaurant, so you can't really expect too much. That said, I would not go back. ever.

Sorath
12-28-2008, 02:24 AM
i too went on christmas eve with a bunch of people. the food sucked really bad, the service was terrible had to keep waving them down for refills on drinks etc. the ambience looks pretty good.

A790
12-28-2008, 02:26 AM
Oh wow, I've never had a bad time at a Keg before. Sucks to hear it failed so bad. Guess I'll have to avoid that location.

sexualbanana
12-28-2008, 06:24 AM
Didn't the place open not too long ago? Still no excuse for terrible service, but ya never know.

Isaiah
12-28-2008, 10:06 AM
I don't generally eat steaks at restaurants as I find that they are usually not cooked to my liking. Before the steaxperts pounce, I'd like to elaborate by stating that under no circumstances is a 'brown in the middle, fully cooked throughout" steak considered medium rare, nor do I accept that a "red in the middle, cow still mooing" steak is medium.

sputnik
12-28-2008, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by 1997GSR
Food: 2.5/5

Salad sucked. Tasted like something sitting around at McDonalds. I had the NY Steak Medium well and I was very impressed. I am a steak snob and this was darn good. The baked potato was overloaded with sour cream and I hate sour cream. The water was pretty good though.

Coles notes.

- the salad "sucked" (whatever that means)
- the steak was perfect
- you forgot to ask them to hold the sour cream

Somehow this is their fault?

1997GSR
12-28-2008, 10:21 AM
"Salad sucked" - brown letture, croutons like rocks. Like something sitting around McDonalds.

Steak was perfect. Picture a perfect medium well steak.

Potato drenched in sour cream. edit: I should note that I don't mind a little sour cream but the potato was drenched in it and could not be tasted.

Isaiah
12-28-2008, 12:30 PM
Picture a perfect medium well steak.

No such thing exists. No steak cooked beyond medium can ever come close to perfection, and even medium is a stretch.

sputnik
12-28-2008, 04:50 PM
"Salad sucked" - brown letture, croutons like rocks. Like something sitting around McDonalds.

Steak was perfect. Picture a perfect medium well steak.

Potato drenched in sour cream. edit: I should note that I don't mind a little sour cream but the potato was drenched in it and could not be tasted.

Then why didn't you mention the problem to your waitress and have her solve the problem.

Things happen. You are the customer. Make them fix it instead of just complaining about it online later.

BTW - A medium-well steak is a waste of beef.

copynpaste
12-28-2008, 05:20 PM
Ever since the change of ownership on the westin and their major renovations, they have gone down the toilet. I had a couple relatives staying there over this past summer and found a dead mouse under neath their pillow.

1997GSR
12-28-2008, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by copynpaste
Ever since the change of ownership on the westin and their major renovations, they have gone down the toilet. I had a couple relatives staying there over this past summer and found a dead mouse under neath their pillow.

Funny you should say that... I didn't want to make it a Hotel/Restaurant thread, but a family member stayed there around that same time and did not have an enjoyable stay.

FWIW

1997GSR
12-28-2008, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Then why didn't you mention the problem to your waitress and have her solve the problem.

Things happen. You are the customer. Make them fix it instead of just complaining about it online later.

BTW - A medium-well steak is a waste of beef.

Look, the waitress did take care of the salad issue (removing them from the tab) but that still does not excuse her poor service skills. As noted before, the manager was MIA. I am merely passing along my experience from that night in a REVIEW thread.

No one cares about your medium well opinion, either :rofl:

bigboom
12-28-2008, 07:01 PM
i went to the keg in the westin as well xmas eve for lunch with work and the service again was terrible. i couldnt get a refill on my drink and it took us almost half an hour just to get our lunch. i dont think i'll go back.

TomcoPDR
01-01-2009, 05:36 PM
So based on this review, I decided to "try it before I knock it".

I have been to other Kegs in Calgary before, not often. Though I don't disagree that service was pretty crappy, but the big picture is well worth the sacrifice.

I was with a friend, and dinner time was coming up. Now being the one with the penis (word used in medical/biological sense), thought I'd take the initiative. Unlike the rest of Beyond I can't completely afford all the finer things in life like an internet blackberry, so I couldn't cheat logging on Beyond for suggestions.

All I could think of was this Keg review and thought I'd head to where the action might be. Sometimes the most dangerous looking place is the safest ya know.

Place was really done up well, they've probably spend the extra $0.50/sq-ft on renovations compared to your neighbourhood Moxie's. There were 6-7 servers/cooks/managers standing at the front counter as OP stated, however, this meant we were looked after and sited immediately.

For a "decent" (open to interpretation) restaurant, it took a while to even get the drinks going. We had a dude server :( but nice guy. My glass ended up having a chip in it (not that I care, just saying)
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/Past%20repairs/Random/1231081839.jpg

My friend got a steak sandwich (who the fuck gets a sandwich at a steak house? though I could care less of the beef on the plate than the meat on the sit)
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/Past%20repairs/Random/1231081857b.jpg

And I got the prime rib with crab leg (one of their feature of the night). And I asked for my baked potato fixings on the side :D But agreed the steaks were super tasty to a professional's touch, soft and tender, though a little confusing with definition of "medium"/ "medium well" (only these 2 choices available), mine came out pretty red which was a "medium" request. But whatever I don't send food back to kitchens ever.
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/Past%20repairs/Random/1231081857.jpg http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/Past%20repairs/Random/1231081859.jpg

Food was 4.2 / 5 fantastic :thumbsup:

Ambience 3.8 / 5 not bad, could use a little more closure/privacy for a restaurant like this

Price 2 steak type dinners with wine, beverage, etc... $68 before tips

Service 2.3 / 5 Like OP stated yea don't go there for the service, took so long to get 2nd round of drinks/water. When another kitchen helper chick brought out my crabs, I asked for a nut cracker thingy, never heard from her again. Later on I found out that the crabs were bandsaw cut for your convenience, she could had told me that though.

I knew not to expect much having the knowledge of this review, but my friend didn't know otherwise and wasn't too happy with the waits in between. But I mean what do you do? It is what it is sometimes.

And the thing is, even though daddy had a white collar executive job (just a job), he made sure I didn't have no silver spoon in my mouth. :( So my life's every little accomplishments or failures are through past learning experiences, not taught, babied, spoiled or protected. And the one thing I've learn is that with life and fate, you never straight doubt the flow.

So I just went along with the flow on how slow the service blows, looked on the bright side, and tried turning the evening around.

Her: "blah blah blah, blah blah when is he gonna fill that water, wah"
Me: " :dunno: "
Her: "Grrrr"
Me: "Tee hee, wonder how shitty the service this attached hotel would be"
Her: "Who knows, maybe we should find out"
Me: "haha wat, that's such a waste of money"
Her: "Why? Not if it's being used"
Me: (Not that I'm the smoothest, but over the years I've picked up a few things from you true players, and I know when I hear it's on then it's on) "Waiter, check plz" (well not exactly those words)

And that concluded my year http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&postid=2753372#post2753372

Kloubek
01-01-2009, 09:49 PM
TomCo: You actually say "Tee Hee"? Are you SURE you were with a girl this night? ;)

Yeah, I know you were... I saw the pics. Not to shabby my man. Only wish there wasn't a PG label... that would have been a great shot.

vipstyle2
01-01-2009, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
TomCo: You actually say "Tee Hee"? Are you SURE you were with a girl this night? ;)

Yeah, I know you were... I saw the pics. Not to shabby my man. Only wish there wasn't a PG label... that would have been a great shot.

Look in the second picture, I see breasts hmmm, could be a transvestite with implants! :nut:

Kloubek
01-02-2009, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by vipstyle2

Look in the second picture, I see breasts hmmm, could be a transvestite with implants! :nut:

What... you never saw "The Crying Game"? :)

ecstasy_civic
01-03-2009, 09:56 PM
Ive eaten at that Keg a few times now and had nothing but good service. The one at Stadium is a different story lol

But I will continue to eat at the Westin Keg. Your "review" seems weak.

Isaiah
01-03-2009, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by ecstasy_civic
Ive eaten at that Keg a few times now and had nothing but good service. The one at Stadium is a different story lol

What's weak about the review? Have you seen 1/2 the reviews on here?

so me and my buddys went to _______ and the food was good but the fries were cold and the waitress was a bitch cuz my buddy jimmy was takin a piss and she didnt refil his beer...so my buddy comes back and hes like what's with this bitch cant she see i need a fuckin refill!!?!?

So then the waitress comes back and shes like would you like another one and my buddys like hey its free refils right and shes like what and were like this chick if fuckin dumb.

So ya the chicks are hot but their dumb and dont go there if your thursty.

I give it a 4/10 and just cause she had big tits but they were probly fake so actually only a 2/5

1997GSR
01-03-2009, 10:37 PM

Oh boy :facepalm:

ecstasy_civic
01-03-2009, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah

What's weak about the review? Have you seen 1/2 the reviews on here?

so me and my buddys went to _______ and the food was good but the fries were cold and the waitress was a bitch cuz my buddy jimmy was takin a piss and she didnt refil his beer...so my buddy comes back and hes like what's with this bitch cant she see i need a fuckin refill!!?!?

So then the waitress comes back and shes like would you like another one and my buddys like hey its free refils right and shes like what and were like this chick if fuckin dumb.

So ya the chicks are hot but their dumb and dont go there if your thursty.

I give it a 4/10 and just cause she had big tits but they were probly fake so actually only a 2/5

:rofl: fair enough

TomcoPDR
01-03-2009, 11:10 PM

I've tried being as accurate as I could... The food (steak) is really good and I've eaten a lot of steak dinners across Alberta towns while working on the road.

dj_rice
01-03-2009, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

I've tried being as accurate as I could... The food (steak) is really good and I've eaten a lot of steak dinners across Alberta towns while working on the road.

I had a chance to try out the Keg for the first time at a company dinner a month ago, ordered the Prime Rib with Lobster tail, same situation as you, I ordered mine medium rare, which he said okay thats medium rare/char on the outside and its gonna be pretty pink in the middle so I said fine....the only bad thing besides being so rare was my piece was VERY fatty and I ain't talking marbled pieces throughout, I'm talking a whole top chunk of my steak the length of a finger and half...:barf: and myself I've never tried horseradish before but I had a lil prick of the fork taste and almost cried it was so strong...

The only good thing I liked at the Keg was their Sweet Potato fries :drool: , I also ordered some mocha pie ice cream dessert, waiter said it would be very small and light, what I recieved was a monstrous slice of albeit very good ice cream on a yummy pie crust

Service there I couldn't really comment on as our table had about 30 people so it took awhile to get our food

msommers
02-20-2009, 10:07 PM
After trying the Keg at the Westin, another by the university and another by Marl. mall, I've said to hell with these guys. Problems:

-Service blows: never got refills on my drinks, I caught some waitor last time taking dirty dishes away from some customers and WHILE they're sitting there he stops to check his fucking cellphone, our waitress tonight had us sitting there for just over 20 minutes with my VISA on the table (I figured it was just busy, but after finding out she had 4 tables..)

- Food isn't great: not once has my steak been cooked properly. Tonight was the first time I've ever sent food back, simply because well-done steak when I want rare is completely retarded.

So fuck these guys. Lesson learned: make steak at home.