PDA

View Full Version : Help - Need new keys!

D_2K
12-28-2008, 04:11 PM
Last night I went to start my Pathfinder and the key broke in half when I unlocked the door. This was my only key for the vehicle.

Anyone know where to go to get a new key made? Will just about any Locksmith do it? Its a 92 so I'm sure nothing needs to be programmed...

BigDannyCool
12-28-2008, 04:31 PM
call the locksmith and find out. they could probably get the piece of the key out of the door and make a key out of the two pieces.

Isaiah
12-28-2008, 04:34 PM
I had a QX4 and there's a key code that came in the driver's manual. It's a little metal tag with a number engraved into it which you may have on your keychain. If you have it, take it to the dealer and they can use the code to cut you a new key. Otherwise, you may have to contact Nissan directly and provide them with your VIN. I don't know if a locksmith can help you out but it's worth a phone call.

5000Audi
12-28-2008, 05:15 PM
take your vin to the dealership with your registration so they know its your vehical and they should be able to cut a key for you.. i had to do this for my older gm car once.. pretty simple...

n1zm0
12-28-2008, 05:22 PM
lol like this thread and the other 'lost my keys' one, how come ppl dont make spares the day they take ownership of the car.
:dunno:

integra_xsi
12-28-2008, 05:35 PM
your best bet it to go to the dealer with your insurance and vin. Laser cut keys.

Deetz
12-28-2008, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by 5000Audi
take your vin to the dealership with your registration so they know its your vehical and they should be able to cut a key for you...

This is a wise option and should be np

NickGT
12-28-2008, 07:16 PM
Have you pulled the broken piece out of the door lock yet? If not, I recommend getting a hook and pick set from canadian tire. They work great for fishing out broken keys. I had my girlfriends out in less than 30 seconds when she broke hers in the door.

SilverBoost
12-29-2008, 12:20 AM
I had this kind of happen to me. Had an old suzuki bak in the early 90s. nly had one key. Took it to Walmart to get a copy. Dipshit took my only key and mixed up where the blank went and where the key to be copied goes..... make a story short, he made my only key into a perfect copy of a blank key.... don't ask me how this even happened but it did. Had to send away to suzuki with my Vin and such and they sent me a new key or the code at least to cut a new one.... I forget now because I had a relative look after it.