PDA

View Full Version : Hazards in the fog...

mazdavirgin
12-28-2008, 10:34 PM
Just curious as to what everyone's take is on using Hazards in the fog. Personally I think it is insane and dangerous as hell to use your hazards while driving on the highway in the fog. It makes it look like you are pulled over onto the shoulder and everyone behind you freaks out and tries to get into the outer lane. Seriously driving back tonight between Basanno and Gleichen I think I counted about 15 or so cars that were driving a least 90km/h or so in the right lane with their hazards going...

frozenrice
12-28-2008, 10:37 PM
How fast were you going that something moving 90kmph looked like it was standing still?

GQBalla
12-28-2008, 10:38 PM
who does that?

i havent seen that yet ahah

sidewaysD
12-28-2008, 11:01 PM
that amazes me...

I was always taught to throw hazards when the car breaks down while moving, flip the hazards and pull over.

mazdavirgin
12-28-2008, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by frozenrice
How fast were you going that something moving 90kmph looked like it was standing still?

It's hard to tell how fast someone is going when you are looking way down the road and you see someones lights blinking in the fog. I was just driving speed limit but it is hard to tell if someone is moving or stopped or slowing down when they are in front of you...

yue
12-28-2008, 11:08 PM
come to the n.e, people here don't even turn on their hazards when they are pulled over.

Grogador
12-28-2008, 11:32 PM
If people are going 90kph then it's not foggy. If you're going 10kph and can only see 3' in front of you, then throw on the hazards to make yourself more visible. Common sense ain't so common it seems...

AE92_TreunoSC
12-28-2008, 11:36 PM
I wish our cars had rear fog lights for those situations, but really turning them on at 90 is just redundant, and it eliminates your turning signals.

SilverBoost
12-29-2008, 12:05 AM
Trucks will turn them on when they are going up a hill and can't maintain a minimum speed because of a large load. I've seen other situations where throwing hazards on while driving was a good way to warn drivers behind you that there is something they should be aware of..... but that's all when the driving situation is clear. In the fog just slow down, but be aware of your speed, because statistics say people actually tend to drive faster than they think because of a lack of visible indicators that they are picking up speed. They concentrate so hard on looking ahead that they don't feel themselves speeding up.

hampstor
12-29-2008, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
I wish our cars had rear fog lights for those situations, but really turning them on at 90 is just redundant, and it eliminates your turning signals.

Because making people think someone is driving at them on the same side of the road is any better?

BMDUBS
12-29-2008, 12:30 AM
French and German (at least European market) cars have rear fog lights. It is not like your conventional foglight on the front of your vehicle. It is in the light cluster in the drivers side rear and when illuminated, it is brighter than a brake light but being just on the drivers side signifies it being a rear foglight...

EK 2.0
12-29-2008, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by hampstor

Because making people think someone is driving at them on the same side of the road is any better?

Sir a rear fog light like this one...In the rear bumper on this EK...

http://icbmotorsport.com/New/Rear_Fog/JDM_EK9_Rear_Fog.jpg

kevie88
12-29-2008, 01:00 AM
OP: I don't see the problem with this. I always apreciate someone's Haz lights in the fog. Helps me see them before I get there.

Question: How far do you look in front of you when you are driving?

hampstor
12-29-2008, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

Sir a rear fog light like this one...In the rear bumper on this EK...

Neat! I haven't seen those before, I thought he was refering to the ones you see here in North America on the front of cars :D

Still, I've driven thru some thick fog where you have to slow down to 20-30kph to safely remain on the road. If you're going that slow, having your hazards on is probably one of the best ways to let the guy coming up behind you know you're going really slow.

ShermanEF9
12-29-2008, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by Grogador
If people are going 90kph then it's not foggy. If you're going 10kph and can only see 3' in front of you, then throw on the hazards to make yourself more visible. Common sense ain't so common it seems...

Yeah, and at least if they are swerving around you, at least they see you and aren't hitting you :P

EK 2.0
12-29-2008, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by hampstor

Neat! I haven't seen those before, I thought he was refering to the ones you see here in North America on the front of cars :D

Yeah in the case of Honda's with them...it's like UBER JDM haha...

cam_wmh
12-29-2008, 01:37 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong here... (a lil off topic)

On some/most/all? cars, when ABS braking is applied, Hazard Lights will flash?

nismodrifter
12-29-2008, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by cam_wmh

?????????? Not sure where you got this idea.

Rear fog on a Jetta. Very easy to wire up if you have a Euroswitch. Not sure why NA market doesn't get these kinds of items.
http://s90139951.onlinehome.us/vw/rearmod/rearmod13.JPG

5000Audi
12-29-2008, 02:02 AM
i have always known to use hazzards in dense fog... always done it...

to the OP that says its dangerous.. well think of it this way what happens when the fog is thick and then you come up to someone without hazzards and rear end them or hit the ditch...

the hazzards are easyer to see and common sence in fog or even snow storms..

ALSO to whom that do mountain driveing when you come to a blocked off highway because of an avalanch or construction zone and stop behind people turn on your hazzard lights to let people comming know your stopped.. ive seen a few accidents happen at a stop in the mountains..

cam_wmh
12-29-2008, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by cam_wmh

Originally posted by nismodrifter

?????????? Not sure where you got this idea.

Rear fog on a Jetta. Very easy to wire up if you have a Euroswitch. Not sure why NA market doesn't get these kinds of items.

Ok I thought I've read this before, and quite certain I've seen it applied. I just searched, and found some info about it.

http://www.who-sells-it.com/r/brake-warning-lights-volkswagen.html

automatic hazard lights activation under emergency braking

nismodrifter
12-29-2008, 02:53 AM
Ok I thought I've read this before, and quite certain I've seen it applied. I just searched, and found some info about it.

http://www.who-sells-it.com/r/brake-warning-lights-volkswagen.html

Hrmm interesting. My mistake for throwin up the "??????" without searching on my own. I did a little more research and it seems to be found on many cars in the UK.

On another note.....it's daaaaaaaaaaamn foggy outside right now...can't see shiet outside.

khtm
12-29-2008, 08:18 AM
I find it REALLY hard to believe that a bunch of cars had their hazards on going 90kph in the fog. If it was indeed as foggy as you say, they'd likely be going half that speed.

Tilly
12-29-2008, 10:16 AM
in most countries other than usa and canada, rear fogs come standard on cars, and are a required modification on imported cars. this should be common knowledge...

BlackArcher101
12-29-2008, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Tilly
in most countries other than usa and canada, rear fogs come standard on cars, and are a required modification on imported cars. this should be common knowledge...

Common knowledge for people outside the usa and canada....

rp_guy
12-30-2008, 01:08 AM
e90's and e92's can also be modded easily to get rear fogs by the euro switch, but you lose the emergency braking flash though when it's on (uses the same bulb).

certain audi's come stock with it here, but i don't know the models.

5000Audi
12-30-2008, 03:35 AM
hmm i think ima install rear fogs on my audi. seems like a good idea.. pretty simple to do also..

sillysod
12-30-2008, 09:26 AM
My A4 has a rear fog light.
pull the light switch out 1 click = front fog's
pull the light switch out 2 clicks = rear fog on drivers side

i think all Audi's have it, (my wife's Passnot has it too. :dunno: )

Kloubek
12-30-2008, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC

My a6 was supposed to have a rear fog light. But in fact, it was just a very dim light which didn't really do jack shit. :)

Redlyne_mr2
12-30-2008, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by khtm
I find it REALLY hard to believe that a bunch of cars had their hazards on going 90kph in the fog. If it was indeed as foggy as you say, they'd likely be going half that speed.
It's something that they do in Ontario, makes no sense at all and is very very distracting.

The rear fogs on the other hand are a cool feature.

EK 2.0
12-30-2008, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

The rear fogs on the other hand are a cool feature.

Maybe we can wire up the Altezza's you will be running on 09 to incorporate a fog light....

RY213
12-30-2008, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

It's something that they do in Ontario, makes no sense at all and is very very distracting.

People from Ontario do a lot of stupid things, idiots!

When we first had that huge dumping of snow about a month ago I saw someone driving with their hazards on. I thought it was so ridiculous, we all know the roads are bad thats why every one was going 20km/h...

sidewaysD
01-02-2009, 03:26 PM
yeah my car has rear fogs too.

Most European cars now have it. Its useful in a way..

But i found them to be so distracting as well, they are pretty bright. And they light up a strip of red close to the license plate. Its more visible then brake lights.

I always found brake lights or Daytime running lights light up the vehicle okay in the foggy night.

in the day with heavy fog.. well.. even with extra lights, i doubt you can see cars any better.. :dunno:

Redlyne_mr2
01-02-2009, 04:09 PM
Coming home from the mountains last night doing 120...blowing snow on the highway, it's dark and a bit foggy. Some idiot doing about 100 with his hazards on. I saw him from quite a ways back so I slowed down thinking there might be something wrong ahead. Who gives these people licenses?

Kennyredline
01-07-2009, 02:30 PM
Legally, you are supposed to use your hazard lights on a highway (that has a speed limit of at least 100km/h) if you are unable to maintain at least 70km/h. Using them in fog is good and bad; good because it can increase your visibility to other vehicles, bad because as someone mentioned earlier, it may appear that the person using hazards is off to the side of the road, making the person behind them possibly drive on the wrong side of the road.

em2ab
01-07-2009, 02:56 PM
It's comical seeing people deal with unusual road conditions.
Rain? Slow down to 40.
Flurries? Slow down to 30.
Flurries at night? Slow down to 30 and turn on high beams.
Fog? Slow down to 10 and turn on hazards.

:dunno: