PDA

View Full Version : Review: Black Sheep West Coast Pub (The) A+++

natejj
12-29-2008, 02:05 AM
I consider myself pretty knowledgeable on Calgary's wing scene. I've frequented wing nights since I turned 18. My usual watering holes include Seanachies, Reagle Beagle, and other pubs on the west side of Calgary.

Anyways, let me just start by saying, this place DESTROYS THEM ALL. The service sucks at Reagle Beagle, the wings blow ass at Seanachies, STOP WASTING your money, go HERE. I discovered it off of www.hotwings.ca , its rated the number 1 in calgary right now. Wing night is Sunday and Wednsday, 25 cents each.

Flavors include -

Cajun, Death Valley,Honey Garlic, Hot, Jerk, Lemon Pepper, Medium, Mild, Rickards BBQ, Salt & Pepper Spicy Parm, Teriyaki.

Happy hour is from 4pm-8pm EVERYDAY, $3 drinks. That includes pints of domestic and some cocktails from what I saw.

7746 Elbow Drive SW, Calgary Alberta

Service- 4/5

We sat down at 5:56 pm, had our drinks by 6:01, and first round of wings at 6:04. Doesn't get much faster then that. The place wasn't really busy when we got there, so our (cute) waitress was very nice and always there when we needed her. The place picked up later into the night, and even though she was obviously busy, the service was consistent all night.

Food-5/5

These wings.... unlike most of the shitty wing nights in Calgary, these are not all skin, or soaked in sauce like Seanachies or the rest of "Calgary's Best Pubs". These were full bodied wings, with tons of meat on each one, each one felt like a small meal. I can normally put back 30-40 wings, I could barely finish 20 of these. Honey Garlic was amazing, just the right amount of sauce. Jerk was great too, a very tropical flavor, a slight spice. The lemon and pepper, teriyaki, same thing, just the right amount of spice. Cajun was also great. I cant think of anything that could have improved these wings.

Ambience-4/5

Tons of cool stuff, lots of LCD tv's on the walls, a fairly new place, very clean bathrooms, not sure what else I could have asked for. Place looks like it would be a blast on gameday. Has a surfer feel to the place, swimsuits and surfboards on the walls, pretty original.

Basically, I was sick and tired of the same old wings, so we tried a new place, and jackpot, this place is officially our new wing place. As much as I want to keep it to myself, it would be a crime to do such a thing.

Highly recommended.

Isaiah
12-29-2008, 02:15 AM
Wow, great review. Should change your name to 'A-789.999r'

This place is now on my short list.

vengie
12-29-2008, 02:16 AM
agreed, been there once, had a very similar expierience :thumbsup:

xLostx
12-29-2008, 02:53 AM
been to black sheep a few times, never had the wings though. Service was always pretty good but if it's busy I find seating to be a but of a pain in the butt

A790
12-29-2008, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah

:rofl:

On another note, I'm checking this place out Sunday. :D

adamc
12-29-2008, 12:39 PM
I vouch for this review.

Beagle is still my favorite (only because I know a few people there and usually get great service).

But this place was a wonderful experience last time I went too, VERY good service on busy nights.

Isaiah
12-29-2008, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by adamc
I vouch for this review.

Beagle is still my favorite (only because I know a few people there and usually get great service).

But this place was a wonderful experience last time I went too, VERY good service on busy nights.

Not a fan of the Beagle's wings. They're yucky.

natejj
12-29-2008, 02:18 PM

Not a fan of the Beagle's wings. They're yucky.

They are better then the shit served by "Calgary's Best Pub's"... it should be illegal to call what they serve chicken wings. Its freaking skin on bone soaked in sauce.

1997GSR
12-29-2008, 02:29 PM
+1 on this review. Fantastic joint

QuasarCav
12-29-2008, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the review. This place is close to home and it would be nice to try something new.

vipstyle2
01-02-2009, 02:21 PM
Wow ill def's check this place out !

Disoblige
01-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Saw this place as #1 on hotwings.ca (good site to check out for daily wing deals around Calgary) and decided to try it out. Atmosphere was great as I went when a Flames game was on, and the wings are one of the biggest I've had. The wing flavors however could have been better. Their hot wings are :barf: .. their salt and pepper are overseasoned with salt, and their parmesan ranch was just hot sauce with sprinkles of cheese on top. Honey garlic was very good though, as well as Cajun.

Graham_A_M
01-03-2009, 06:12 PM

:rofl: :rofl:
I'll have to check this out, thanks for the heads up. Normally I just go to Original Joe's, Brewsters or the Bull & Finch. Nice to see another good place to frequent. :thumbsup: