PDA

View Full Version : Best green tea?

Boat
12-29-2008, 03:49 PM
I got some random JDM (haha) tea it tastes alright. For those that have it regularly, what is your favorite brand and where you do get it?

Does anyone know what kind of blend Sakana Grill uses?

The stuff I have, is green, vacuum packed, comes in a stand up cardboard box with a teapot on it and some mountains in the background... anyone know what it is???

adam c
12-29-2008, 03:53 PM
best green tea is the stuff you buy on the side of the road or from the little chinese booths at shows (ie night market)

1997GSR
12-29-2008, 03:55 PM
Rule of thumb: Avoid tea bags at all costs. Stick to the loose leaves and drink from a pot or tea plunger. I get my stuff from a guy in Chinatown.

Boat
12-29-2008, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by 1997GSR
Rule of thumb: Avoid tea bags at all costs. Stick to the loose leaves and drink from a pot or tea plunger. I get my stuff from a guy in Chinatown.

Yea I read/heard that before, I just bought one with the sieve thingy in the middle. (I'm a tea noob)

GQBalla
12-29-2008, 04:30 PM
check out oolong tea house in kensington right beside grassroots.

they have a bunch of green tea's that are freetrade too.

personally i like the green teas that have rice in them. youll be able to see little brown rice grains. i like it when you put lots of leaves for just one cup because it comes out super green and yummy

treg50
12-29-2008, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by 1997GSR
Avoid them as a matter of health or just taste quality?

The Fujian Province ones do me fine for now (green box with gold writing), decent price.

jdmakkord
12-29-2008, 05:54 PM
I buy all of mine in Victoria at Silk road. www.silkroadtea.com

Kloubek
12-29-2008, 06:05 PM
If you do buy bags, then try Tazo. I love that stuff.

TomcoPDR
12-29-2008, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by treg50

Contents inside teabags are usually processed (not natural leaves), and the teabag itself could sometimes be bleeched to make it look whiter.

:werd: always drink from real loose tea leafs and never teabag from a chinaman.

1997GSR
12-29-2008, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by treg50

The Fujian Province ones do me fine for now (green box with gold writing), decent price.

The leaves are more potent and will give you the best green tea benefits.

The guy who sells me the tea gave me some instructions for brewing:

1. fill the pot with some warm water to warm the pot. drain water
2. fill with leaves and pour same amount of water in and let the water "activate" the leaves for 30 seconds.
3. drain water and fill pot full.
4. steep and enjoy

r0g3r
12-29-2008, 09:04 PM
^ thats how I do it, although I find that I cannot sleep after drinking green tea, even if its in the morning.

1997GSR
12-29-2008, 09:08 PM
It's a good method :thumbsup:

Tazo tea is good if you must drink bagged tea.... another good one (bagged) is the Yogi tea.

LongCity
12-29-2008, 11:17 PM
Steeps on 16th Ave. SW.
That little dip in the road on 17th SW, it has all sorts of flavours too. You can also sit down and get set up with tea presses and have a sit down tea session.

1997GSR
12-30-2008, 10:53 AM
^ Steeps @ Mt. Royal Village

sdiep
12-30-2008, 01:26 PM
Tazo is really good. I recommend them.

But I need a tea plunger.

PremiumRSX
12-31-2008, 09:38 AM
One of the problems is there is so many kinds and brews of green tea.

Which one are you talking about?

I'm assuming its not the greentea that is finely ground into a powder, most people don't like those kinds I find.

Oolong tea house as mentioned.

I also wouldn't mind finding out where you can get the Green Tea that has the baked rice in 'em. Those are good.

bigbadboss101
12-31-2008, 09:58 AM
Guy at work drinks a lot of Macha. Booster Juice has it along with the tea houses. Supposed to be very high in anti oxidatant but buddy told me it would kill off the good bacteria in the stomach. Not sure if that's the case. It's the powder stuff, very green. Anyone tried Macha?

TYMSMNY
12-31-2008, 11:21 AM
Yea, I've got this matcha green tea in bags from Japan.. so good. Keep getting it from a good friend of mine so I'll ask if it can be bought locally.

HiSpec
12-31-2008, 02:06 PM
go to the tea shop in TnT (they are located in both NE and NW location), it is a family business but they are all over Taiwan and I believe they have a couple stores in Toronto as well. That is where I get all my teas, not only green tea but some really nice Oolong and Longjing Tea. They have different grades of tea you can purchase, from common grade to really expensive grade @ ~$80/50g.