PDA

View Full Version : World Juniors

Oldskool
12-29-2008, 08:35 PM
Anybody else watching the IIHF world juniors this year?

Canada's not having the best game against germany right now...

dr_jared88
12-29-2008, 08:37 PM
no there not but 4-1 isn't all that bad either. just shows how much we expect from them haha.

Kobe
12-29-2008, 10:11 PM
Germany beat Kazakstan 9-0
Canada beat Kazastan 15-0

Canada should pwn Germany....

MKS
12-31-2008, 11:16 AM
I wouldn't read too much into those scores. The real test start tonight.

adam c
12-31-2008, 11:18 AM
i feel kinda bad for Kazakstan, no wins, no points and they have been outscored 36 - 0

Quizzes
12-31-2008, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by adam c
i feel kinda bad for Kazakstan, no wins, no points and they have been outscored 36 - 0

:werd:

They shouldn't even be included in this tournament along with Latvia. At least have a mercy rule in place somewhere. Teams have no choice BUT to score as much as they can so they can get first place.

88CRX
12-31-2008, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by MKS
I wouldn't read too much into those scores. The real test start tonight.

No kidding eh..... hasn't even been entertaining to watch really :dunno:

xLostx
01-02-2009, 06:34 PM
Congrats to Slovakia for knocking the Americans out of the tourny! :clap:

Rocky
01-02-2009, 06:36 PM
That sucks. A US/Canada final would have been awesome considering the game they had on New Years Eve. I'm really disappointed to hear that won't happen now. There was some real bad blood there and I would have loved to see the Americans get another crack at it. Slovakia = booooring.

xLostx
01-02-2009, 06:58 PM
Really? Americans have a huge lead and lose. Then go on to lose to Slovakia...yeah...they're a real contender :facepalm:

Rocky
01-02-2009, 07:38 PM
The Americans lost to Canada, a phenomenal hockey nation with some of its most promising talent in years playing in this tournament -- one of which being Tavares, who single-handedly led Canada's charge back into that game. The Americans went down (4-3) on an absolutely embarrassing officiating call, which nobody is really talking about but you can be assured that all hell would have broken loose if that play was in the USA's favor instead of ours. And they did indeed make it 4-4 before Canada finished them off, fully utilizing home crowd advantage.

A tired and demoralized American squad then had to play Slovakia, who simply were the better team. I didn't see the game, but you have to feel the US were a little disheartened and disillusioned after the Canada game. It's hard to come back and win a must-win game after you lose a game that arguably should have gone your way (see: CGY/TB 04 Cup Run, game 6 and 7).

The Americans were a great team at this tournament, don't doubt that. They deserved a second chance at Canada, and I think the fans deserved to see an encore to that thrilling game.

kertejud2
01-02-2009, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Rocky

A tired and demoralized American squad then had to play Slovakia, who simply were the better team. I didn't see the game, but you have to feel the US were a little disheartened and disillusioned after the Canada game. It's hard to come back and win a must-win game after you lose a game that arguably should have gone your way (see: CGY/TB 04 Cup Run, game 6 and 7).

The Americans were a great team at this tournament, don't doubt that. They deserved a second chance at Canada, and I think the fans deserved to see an encore to that thrilling game.

"Great" teams don't get disillusioned and lose to Slovakia. Nor do they blow a 3-0 lead and fall apart against any country (I don't care if its Canada), nor do they have a goaltender who lets in 3 goas on 7 shots and great teams don't have shit coaching.

The U.S. was a team with some very good players, but they are far from a great team. I'm not even sure I'd call them a good team with their performance against Slovakia.

Dave P
01-02-2009, 08:28 PM
Janus played unreal.

I was rooting for Slovakia

Eff the americans!!!

Rocky
01-02-2009, 08:38 PM
Don't think I mean "great" as in suggesting they're as good as somebody like the Detroit Red Wings, but they were still the second best team at this tournament IMHO. It IS the World Juniors; goalkeepers are going to have bad games, and kids are going to get nervous and potentially blow leads or let things get to them and affect their play. We're talking about players primarily in the 18-20 range here. Plus, Slovakia is not an unaccomplished hockey nation by any means.

I think the US is getting an overly bad rap just by virtue of them being Americans.

95teetee
01-02-2009, 10:26 PM
The Americans went down (4-3) on an absolutely embarrassing officiating call, which nobody is really talking about but you can be assured that all hell would have broken loose if that play was in the USA's favor instead of ours. there was a lot of that in that game. If it had been reversed we would still be screaming about it.

88CRX
01-03-2009, 01:58 AM

I think the US is getting an overly bad rap just by virtue of them being Americans.

Oh well :dunno: lol

Whatever makes Canada's run for another gold any easier I'm down for that.

dezmarez
01-03-2009, 09:55 AM
Don't think I mean "great" as in suggesting they're as good as somebody like the Detroit Red Wings, but they were still the second best team at this tournament IMHO. It IS the World Juniors; goalkeepers are going to have bad games, and kids are going to get nervous and potentially blow leads or let things get to them and affect their play. We're talking about players primarily in the 18-20 range here. Plus, Slovakia is not an unaccomplished hockey nation by any means.

no i think they got a bad rap because they were show boating in the first period after their second goal!! they thought they were going to take the cake, give me a break these kids deserve the bad rap
did anyone see don cherry talking about it on saturday? the kids are fucking dumb for giving the canadians even more motivation

95teetee
01-03-2009, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by dezmarez

no i think they got a bad rap because they were show boating in the first period after their second goal!! they thought they were going to take the cake, give me a break these kids deserve the bad rap
did anyone see don cherry talking about it on saturday? the kids are fucking dumb for giving the canadians even more motivation showboating isn't as bad as that Canadian kid doing the 'oh my god I've been shot' act after the stick incident as he showboated past the American bench. Now that was embarassing. Hopefully Cherry mentioned that a good Canadian kid doesn't do that crap either.

dezmarez
01-03-2009, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by 95teetee
showboating isn't as bad as that Canadian kid doing the 'oh my god I've been shot' act after the stick incident as he showboated past the American bench. Now that was embarassing. Hopefully Cherry mentioned that a good Canadian kid doesn't do that crap either.

nothing wrong with trying to draw a penalty haha

Kirbs17
01-03-2009, 08:31 PM
AMAZING SHG for Canada. Esposito was stellar

SJW
01-03-2009, 08:32 PM
Nullified.

max_boost
01-03-2009, 09:20 PM
Tough break for the Russians on the 5th goal. I watched that part and the shoot-out. Props to the kids on the world juniors, good job!

Kloubek
01-03-2009, 09:22 PM
I thought we were done for. Great finish, but Canada was WAAAYYYY to loose. They need to tighten up their game if they want to beat Sweden.

kaput
01-03-2009, 09:22 PM

bmeier
01-03-2009, 09:26 PM
the russian player who iced the puck trying to hit an open net from inside his own blueline is a complete idiot...

Good job for Canada coming back.

Team_Mclaren
01-03-2009, 09:31 PM
put PICKARD in net for the final.

we're lucky to have won the game. exciting game to watch tho.

SilverGS
01-03-2009, 09:42 PM
Great game. Thought Russia was the better team in the third but Canada somehow found a way into OT due to a horrible greedy decision by the Russian player.

rumeo
01-03-2009, 09:47 PM
amazing game tonight

xLostx
01-03-2009, 10:46 PM
unreal game, go canada go!!!

Xtrema
01-04-2009, 02:39 AM
Russia should have won. Tobaski sucked.

As bad as they played, props to the Canadians. They are out sized for most battles.

Team_Mclaren
01-04-2009, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Russia should have won. Tobaski sucked.

As bad as they played, props to the Canadians. They are out sized for most battles.

im sure the swiss have watched the tapes from our previous two games. Al you need to beat Tobaski is go from the side, shoot just above pads height and its a goal :banghead:

rvd
01-04-2009, 12:38 PM
Settle the f*** down, Tokarski is a good tendy, he's backstopped teams to the Telus Cup (AAA midget national title) and the Memorial Cup, he's had a couple rough outtings, that's all.

PGTze
01-04-2009, 12:59 PM
I don't know what you do, that guy looked pretty shaky...

mekeni
01-04-2009, 03:28 PM
amazing game !!

drewboy
01-04-2009, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

im sure the swiss have watched the tapes from our previous two games. Al you need to beat Tobaski is go from the side, shoot just above pads height and its a goal :banghead:

the Swedes... :facepalm:

dezmarez
01-04-2009, 07:41 PM
man oh mannnnnnnnnn
such a sick game
keep in mind sweeden beat the russians 5-0 :nut:

hks
01-05-2009, 12:16 AM
as much as i love the canadian team, i just don't see them beating the swedes on monday.
unlike any other team this tournament this swedes play a TOTAL team game. during the sweden-russia round robin the russian's couldn't even get outta their zone during the first period, and had it not been for their backup net minder, the swedes would have potted 8 or 9 goals.
for the guys who have not watched the swedes this year, think red wings are your close.

rock solid defense by EVERYBODY, crazy ass counter attack, and with best goalie in the tourney, i just don't see the canadians beating this team.

i predict 5-2 sweden

Quizzes
01-05-2009, 09:45 AM
^^ Kinda have a feeling the Swedes might pull this one off. Canada didn't look too good against the Americans and Russians. I'll say 4-3 Sweden.

Mikael Backlund with a couple. :thumbsup:

calgarys_finest
01-05-2009, 09:50 AM
This year we seem to have a smaller quick group of guys. In years past we had a team that would go out there and punish people and make them make mistakes. I think out biggest forward i John Taveres at like 205?? And the most aggressive being Della Rover(sp)

edit maybe not smaller in size but playing style if that sounds right.

Eleanor
01-05-2009, 09:52 AM
I loved the smile the Russian kid on his face after he missed the empty netter. He probably isn't smiling now :rofl:

It should be a good game tonight, I'm looking forward to it.

88CRX
01-05-2009, 09:55 AM
You guys are funny.... you might be right about Canada not winning but it sorta seems like you guys are going out on a limb picking the underdog just so when it's done you can say I told you so lol.

Canada is clutch. They have too many highly skilled and experienced (for their age) players on their team to lose such a big game like this. They've gotten this far with average defence and goaltending all they need it Tokarski to play half decent game and it's in the bag.

Canada wins.

/thread

SOAB
01-05-2009, 10:22 AM
who the hell is Tobaski?? :whipped:

SJW
01-05-2009, 10:24 AM
Tobaski is the sauce I like to put on my chicken wings.

MKS
01-05-2009, 02:48 PM
Go Canada Go!!!!
My prediction is 5-3 Canada!!

Kloubek
01-05-2009, 07:16 PM
Canada played a MMMUUUUUCCCCCHHHH better period. They are keeping the shots to the outside. They're hitting hard and often. They're rushing the net. They're playing with PRIDE.

Go Canada Go!

95teetee
01-05-2009, 07:37 PM
the only thing TSN is missing is a camera on Miller and Maguire hugging after a goal. God I hate homer announcers.

Gondi Stylez
01-05-2009, 07:38 PM
2 zippo!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

S13_Ryan
01-05-2009, 07:53 PM
what the fucks up with there goalie. too many acting classes:thumbsdow

Rocky
01-05-2009, 07:54 PM
Man this Swedish goalie is a little bitch. Such a smugness about him and his helmet is flying off every second play. I don't like him at all.

S13_Ryan
01-05-2009, 08:34 PM
lol these guys are a bunch of bitches.

rumeo
01-05-2009, 08:57 PM
guys 4-1 less then two minutes left!

schocker
01-05-2009, 09:01 PM
5-1 the final, good work canada.

Rocky
01-05-2009, 09:02 PM
5-1* haha

Good for Canada, hard fought win made even sweeter by the fact that they 5 seconds away from not being in the final at all. Swedes just didn't have an answer, when you have six or so minutes straight on a powerplay you gotta deliver something. Too little too late from the yellow n' blue.

My favorite player of the tournament was Angelo Esposito personally (at least of Canada). You guys?

Realistic
01-05-2009, 09:12 PM
the game against russia was terrible...

against sweden all 3 periods were solid.
my top 5 were

Janus -slovak
Torp - sweden
Subban - Canada
Espy - Canada
Kane - Canada
Filatov - Russia

Kloubek
01-05-2009, 09:37 PM
CONGRATS CANADA!

Next year, make it 6! :)

kertejud2
01-05-2009, 09:52 PM

My favorite player of the tournament was Angelo Esposito personally (at least of Canada). You guys?

Hodgson. The guy is going to be good, just sucks it will be for the Canucks.

Gondi Stylez
01-05-2009, 10:02 PM
Aulie for the Flames will be crazy!! Same with Backlund:thumbsup: :goflames:

Eleanor
01-05-2009, 10:07 PM
:clap:

Xtrema
01-05-2009, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by kertejud2

Hodgson. The guy is going to be good, just sucks it will be for the Canucks.

:werd: