PDA

View Full Version : SIR/EP3-Weird Intake-what kind?

WhiteCollar
12-29-2008, 11:19 PM
I realize that there's no sure way to tell, but can anybody tell me what kind of Intake setup this might be?

Instead of OEM Airbox or a common aftermarket Cold Air Intake, all I can see are two different diameter hoses... not sure if previous owner just removed CAI & made a loop/closed it or maybe something more elaborate? I did notice that the engine & valve cover are painted red Type R is why I ask.

Looking at buying & I just have this one pic to look at right now. It's a long drive & don't want to waste my time if there's been no air filter used on the poor engine... It's from a Honda Civic SI (EP3).

http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh340/WhiteCollar_Photos/K20A3_EngineIntakeLoop.jpg

http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh340/WhiteCollar_Photos/HondaCivicSI_Engine.jpg

Tia!

(edit: not sure if they just turned CAI downward- wow u guys are fast! just realized how it's positioned now-thx).

12-29-2008, 11:23 PM
The upper (smaller hose) looks like its just the breather, the lower larger pipe looks like a regular cold air intake.

The breather hose is probably running somewhere lower on the CAI pipe which is running into the bumper..

12-29-2008, 11:25 PM
This looks like a CAI, not a Ram Air (which you are probably thinking of)

88CRX
12-29-2008, 11:38 PM
Yea that a CAI as opposed to a short ram intake.

Could be aem or ingen :dunno: or maybe a no name, impossible to tell with those pics.

WhiteCollar
12-29-2008, 11:49 PM
thanks 410440!

btw, which has better performance gain CAI or RAM Air type?

Also while I have you, I noticed that the hood & the bumper is a little off. When I look a little closer I can see that there are 4 clips missing where the bumper attaches to the frame (in pic) - I was thinking maybe accident at first, but do you think that the different location of the CAI going down to the bumper could cause problems lining the bumper up?

It was also custom painted at one point, maybe by some dummy who lost/broke the clips for all I know.

Do u think I could just have them install new clips or do the holes look too far off to you?

s3v3n
01-02-2009, 04:05 PM
as mentioned, looks like a cai. cai is generally accepted as better than an sri as the sri takes air from right beside the header.

installing a cai usually means removing the front bumper as well which may explain why some of the pop clips are lost/broken.