PDA

View Full Version : Academy vs. Option Snowboards

gd3_kid
12-30-2008, 03:31 AM
has anybody ever used either the Academy Merit Board or the Option Signature Board?

I'm trying to decide between the two for an all purpose board thats good in most situations (other then park).

I couldn't find any reviews on the Academy Merit, but the reviews on the Option Signature were good.

Thanks for the help

BTW, I ride a 157

cam_wmh
12-30-2008, 04:46 PM
Both dying companies, using antiquated manufacturing processes.

Are you buying them online? Have you considered going to your nearby core shop (I see you're in Edmonton - I suggest Plush) They'll point you in the right direction - unlikely they'll promote either of those two brands though.

mazdavirgin
12-30-2008, 04:58 PM
:facepalm: Which manufacturers cool-aid have you been drinking? There is nothing wrong with Option and they sure as hell are not going anywhere. Buying from a shop is silly anyways since they are just going to push whatever they make the most commission selling... You should do your own research before you blindly trust someone getting paid minimum wage to push product out of the door. Not saying some people don't know what they are talking about but the majority know nothing more than the average snowboarder. For some good laughs you should hang out at board shops when the Japanese tourists come in and they end up walking out with 1k+ of gear that isn't suited for them...

Anyways depending on your skill level you might be better off just going to COP renting a burton board and trying it out... Or renting a demo from any one of the various shops around town.

cam_wmh
12-30-2008, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin
:facepalm: Which manufacturers cool-aid have you been drinking? There is nothing wrong with Option and they sure as hell are not going anywhere. Buying from a shop is silly anyways since they are just going to push whatever they make the most commission selling... You should do your own research before you blindly trust someone getting paid minimum wage to push product out of the door. Not saying some people don't know what they are talking about but the majority know nothing more than the average snowboarder. For some good laughs you should hang out at board shops when the Japanese tourists come in and they end up walking out with 1k+ of gear that isn't suited for them...

Anyways depending on your skill level you might be better off just going to COP renting a burton board and trying it out... Or renting a demo from any one of the various shops around town.

It's spelled Kool-Aid.

Option is falling apart. They discontinued & liquidated NFA. They are making their own outerwear, as a contingency, and their ordering isn't %50 what it was 5 years ago. At one point in about 2000, Option had one of the best design engineers in the business. Forum(Fourstar) headhunted him though, and off he went. Their product is headed to the big box sports stores, in 5 years (if they can make it).

Academy was part of the early 2000 independent rider owned resurgency, with Rome/Capita/Endeavor etc; Unfortunately, Academy's sales have gone stale, and in an industry where cool/cutting edge sellls, they are already yesterday's news. They still have a somewhat following in the mid-west U.S,

But you'll have to point out why a retailer SHOULD be selling their boards (academy), when there are a dozen other same ol' (karhu/elan) constructed manufacters, with better marketing, and sales support.

Oh boy, am I keen to hear your reply.

gd3_kid
12-31-2008, 01:34 AM
Both boards I would be buying online (through kijiji), and the prices are pretty similar for both.

lol, I didn't really know that both of these brands were dying out...Academy's website had 08/09 models posted so I thought they were doing ok.

From what the seller was saying, the Academy board had too much flex...I want a board with a good amount of flex, but not so much that it makes normal riding un-enjoyable.

Anybody have any feedback on this?

Thanks a lot

lilmira
12-31-2008, 01:55 AM
I've had my signature for 3 yrs and I like it. I'm a freeride guy though, not so much in the park.

I've been an Option fan since I started. It would be too bad if they are really going down the hill.

cam_wmh
12-31-2008, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by gd3_kid
Academy's website had 08/09 models posted so I thought they were doing ok.

That's hardly a decisive way to establish business stability. A quick easy example would be General Motors.

Originally posted by gd3_kid
From what the seller was saying, the Academy board had too much flex...I want a board with a good amount of flex, but not so much that it makes normal riding un-enjoyable.

Anybody have any feedback on this?

Thanks a lot

Weight, and condition need to be addressed (ACTUAL pictures?). I'd hazard that Option is stiffer, as it's more of a freeride board, and judging by how you describe your riding style, it may be the better board for you.

sullygully
12-31-2008, 01:41 PM
I've been riding option boards for the last 9 years through a prodeal i have with them. I haven't riden any other board, other then a capita(which is truely garbage boards IMO).

I really can't say anything bad about them, but i also can't compare it to any other manufacturer, since i've been with the same company for so long. I can agree that their board design and technology hasn't really improved in that time, but it also doesn't mean that it needs improving.

The only issue i've had with their boards is that i've i've cracked the heel edge(twice) from nuckling it big time on one of blakcombs monster booters, and once at lake louise when they had there super park. Both times i was riding the Kevin Sansalone board

I ride an Option Vinson, and an Option mirror. The Vinson is very stiff, and ment for big mountain freeride and big booters. There is no forgivness with this board and should only be used by advanced riders. And i love it. I have a mirror for the park and jibbing, its very snappy and a true twin tip, making switch riding more enjoyable.T

The signature is just as you would expect it to be, a little noddley, which makes all mountain riding easy, but doesn't let you master any of its domains.

If you are considering buying one, wait till the spring when the stores have there %40 off sales. Banff is a good place to pic one up cheap in the spring

Don't know if any of this helped