PDA

View Full Version : ENGG Programming at U of C

asad16
12-30-2008, 07:07 PM
Hey guys,

I know there's a engineering thread, but I thought I'd get a faster reply here.

I transferred into engineering from computer science this fall, and I'm just finishing up first year and some second year courses. Since I was in computer science, I got some courses exempt, like Linear Algebra, Calculus and Programming.

The thing that is most bugging me is that in my programming class i did pascal, which is obviously nothing like the programming class in engineering which is C++. So what I'm asking is if I'll ever need to understand C++ for other courses as I go through engineering. I'll take C++ if needed, but I don't want to spend $600 on a course which i already have credit for.

mazdavirgin
12-30-2008, 07:12 PM
Depends... What branch of engineering are you taking? Anything other than Civil will have a second year programming class(If I recall correctly). Do you know if you are exempt in second year for the programming class? Depending on the Engineering stream you will have to write C/C++ especially in faculties such as Electrical E/Comp E/Software E.

sabad66
12-30-2008, 07:13 PM
Yeah it really depends on which discipline you are planning on doing. Software/Electrical/Computer you absolutely need to know C++...not too sure about the other ones though.

Hero_X
12-30-2008, 07:23 PM
Geo you need to know C++ as well. Electrical,software, computer definitely.

Other than that, you dont really need C++. As long as you got your credit, it shouldn't be a big problem :-D

BerserkerCatSplat
12-30-2008, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Hero_X
Geo you need to know C++ as well. Electrical,software, computer definitely.

Other than that, you dont really need C++. As long as you got your credit, it shouldn't be a big problem :-D

Are you sure about that? I thought Civil was the only stream that didn't do the second C++ course. (335)

r0g3r
12-30-2008, 07:30 PM
Yeah I think thats right. I am in mechanical and I didn't have to do second C/C++ course. I'm pretty sure none of the oilgas/chemical kids have to do it either.

I had excel/matlab programming (ENME 337) in second year.

asad16
12-30-2008, 07:36 PM
Yeah I plan going into Mech or Chemical.

haha, so i'm hoping to dodge the bullet on this one. I won't get exempt for anything else, so its kinda shitty if i have to learn c++

turbotrip
12-30-2008, 07:36 PM
if u go into chem/mech u dont need to know c++

XylathaneGTR
12-31-2008, 01:14 PM
The UofC does credit CPSC231 as equivalent to ENGG233 (the 1st year C++ course)

I have friends who've done CPSC231 in place of ENGG233 and they haven't had any problems...In ENME337, you do a bunch in matlab using if-statements and nested loops and so on, but since you covered that in CPSC231, you'll be fine.

If you still were unsure, drop someone at the Engg undergrad office a line (Suzanne Dauner, for example, is quite helpful - [email protected]) and double check with them if you'll be okay.

badatusrnames
01-02-2009, 12:52 AM
Chem/Oil & Gas dropped the programming II course (a 300 level) you had to take. So I don't think you really need to know C++ specifically for anything, but just have a general knowledge of programming.

Dr_Funk
01-02-2009, 02:23 AM
^^ :werd:

You'll have to do some very simple programming in Chem and O&G, but you won't need to know C++. You will be able to use MatLab which is alot easier...

tha_bandit
01-02-2009, 02:30 AM
if u got the credit for it (cpsc 231=engg 233 with a b+ or higher), i wouldnt NOT take engg 233, as u already have the concepts understood, even though different language, you'll easily learn C or C++ if u already done pascal.....i went through the same thing.....

Eleanor
01-02-2009, 10:36 AM
Even if you need to do programming, if you're already fairly programming savvy, anything you'd learn in ENGG233 you could pick up very quickly.

vinc456
01-06-2009, 08:43 PM
If you're really worried you could always unofficially audit the class and save yourself $600. imo that would mostly be a waste of time though because programming is something you learn on your own. If I were in your shoes I'd pick up a good book like Thinking in C++ by Bruce Eckel and work through it. (it's free) However you could consider taking the class anyways as a GPA booster/option.