PDA

View Full Version : Steering rack leakage costing over $1000

griffith9
12-30-2008, 07:40 PM
I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada and own a 2003 LE Camry.(with public Insurance:about $1300 a year)

A month ago, my car skidded on ice and hit a pole head-on.
The bodyshop fixed everything except the 'steering rack' which started leaking after collision. They claimed that's not not covered by insurance.

They said getting a steering rack from factory would cost over $900 (and $200 in labor cost), $660 in aftermarket price.
I got it back today, the break was very loose break, but still 'drivable.'

But, prices on the internet happen to be much lower(300~400)
http://www.toyotapartstore.com/catal...5...

I don't think registered Toyota body shops would ever lie, but
the price does seem a little steep. I've so many questions boggling my mind.

**is that due to the fact that it's 'Camry'? or all steering racks are that expensive?**

**Is Camry durable? Do you think leakage was a direct result of the collision or was it a case of wear&tear?(car has 60000 miles) even then why would it happen right after the accident though?**

**So there is a leakage on steering rack and the break's very loose. Do I have to replace the whole steering rack? The whole thing?**

**and why do you think the mechanics came to the conclusion that
the leakage was not part of the collision? Steering rack's located just behind the engine and subframe. I thought when the impact crumpled the frame/engine, the debris also came down on the rack and damaged it**

Gosh.. I'm having a panic attack.. so many things popping up at once.
If you have time, please help me answer any of the questions above. Any one of them.

Thank you very much for reading. Hope you have a happy new year

12-30-2008, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by griffith9

I don't think registered Toyota body shops would ever lie, but
the price does seem a little steep. I've so many questions boggling my mind.

All bodyshops lie, thats the business.

sr20s14zenki
12-30-2008, 07:45 PM
Racks are usually fairly expensive, and depending how they are situated in relation to the engine position, they can be a bitch to change, or not. at 200$ labour, that sounds like yours is pretty easy, im assuming 200$=100$ an hour so 2 hours shop time, which is pretty fair. buy the rack off the net and have a local mechanic shop replace it.

Redlyne_mr2
12-30-2008, 08:34 PM
Keep in mind it may need new tierod ends as well. There are inner and outer rods that could have been bent and may need to be replaced.

Its tough to say without seeing pics as to wether or not the rack was affected. Toyota parts prices are much more expensive up here in Canada than down in the US. Afermarket racks are cheaper but I wouldnt cheap out on something as important as a steering rack.

AE92_TreunoSC
12-30-2008, 08:43 PM
The last time I quoted a Toyota rack, it was nearly 1100$ over the counter for a customer.

They are very expensive, but they are well built and usually last forever if they aren't in accidents.

I'd get an aftermarket for sure. Supply it to the body shop and don't stress out.

As for the collision causing the rack to leak, I can definitely see it, but I'd have a licensed mechanic shop estimate that, not a body shop.

n1zm0
12-30-2008, 08:56 PM
aftermarket reman racks are 50/50 IMO, you can also return the core for credit but i've seen reman's/refurbs leak after a week at earliest, sucks cause you can buy and overhauled/remanned BMC and it's as if you got a new master cylinder (lasts longer than the car), but something with those overhauled steering racks.. :dunno:

RZRSHARP_SVX
12-30-2008, 09:04 PM
Remans ussualy take a little bit of work to get them in too. they never fit quite right. OEM is the way to go remember you get what you pay for. having the quality parts from the start will save you time and money in the long run.

griffith9
12-30-2008, 10:40 PM
Thank you for all your posts. Seeing that there's someone out
there that cares is heartwarming for me.

So.. loose break has to do with the leakage right? can I still drive with this thing? Or do I have to buy some kind of "fluid" and fill it up?

As for buying a new one, I might go with the aftermarket one..(660, about 240 cheaper)
but I'm not sure. It looks like in Canada(or Winnipeg), $900 for a Toyota steering rack is standard.
Good thing I didn't do any X-mas shopping this year...
I only have about $1000.. and in my province I pay 12% tax on top of everything *sighes*

Would it be safe/smart for me to buy the steering rack off the net?? I know nothing about cars though..

I'll try and contact(if I can get through, if I still have guts left) a service writer at the collision centre tomorrow and see if I(a nobody) can convince him(an expert) leakage was not due to 'wear&tear.'

if that doesn't work, i'll just give up, relax and just prepare for 2009

Thank you for all your kind comments. I really appreciate'em.

Tik-Tok
12-30-2008, 10:45 PM
Why don't you call your insurance company and ask why they aren't including your steering rack in the damage?