PDA

View Full Version : Protein Intake/Other Questions

shakalaka
12-31-2008, 03:29 AM
I keep hearing that the right intake of protein should be 1 gram per lb of your body weight, but I could never quite get my head around this.

So does this mean that if I weigh 190lbs then I must have 190 grams of protein of everyday? And if each scoop of my protein powder has 30 grams of protein, does that mean that I must take 6 scoops a day? Usually I take protein twice on workout days, i.e. a scoop before the gym and a scoop after, so if the above is true then I am not nearly taking enough protein. But on the other 6 times a day sounds way too excessive. I have no idea if what I am saying is right or not, so if someone could chime in it would be much appreciated.

I am 6.1 and weigh about 195lbs, I am in no way fat but I still do have some flab on the stomach and chest area which I wanna get rid of and get 'big' i.e. gain muscle at the same time. My routine begins with 30 minutes or so of cardio and weight training every alternative day. I don't want to overtrain as I have been told that I used to, so I go on Monday's, Wednesdays and Fridays. And now I am thinking of just doing cardio on Tuesdays and Thursdays. My major problem is my diet which is what I am working on right now, so I know that part for sure.

What do you guys think? Any tips, suggestions? Input from the fitness gurus will be much appreciated.

Thanks

oster
12-31-2008, 03:41 AM
Rule is usually 3grams for every pound, so you should have around 550-600g per day.

With your body type diet is the key. You shouldnt base your protein intake solely on protein powder. Add some natural foods that are high in protein into your diet.

edit: 2-3g per pound, depending on what training you are doing, ince your case I would go with 2g/lb and up the cardio

ragu
12-31-2008, 04:19 AM
^^WTF?!?!?
That's the first time I've heard someone suggest that much protein in a day. Its been a while since I read up on protein intake etc. but as far as I recall, if you're working endurance training/ weight lifting all you need is about 200g/day. Over 200g is an overkill unless you're a professional bodybuilder/ power lifter. Now these numbers were for someone 6'3 so obviously it would vary......
Its been a while since I focused on bulking up so correct me if I am wrong....

Edit: From my experience if you are attempting to gain weight and cut fat theres a really fine line when it comes to diet. Most of the people with weight training eat proportionally (eat more) compared to what they would with simple cardio.

Redlined_8000
12-31-2008, 12:48 PM
ok..........

3g/pound protein is WAY OVERKILL

recommended is 1.5g/pound - so shoot for 300 grams. 2g/pound works better for most lifters, but 1.5g will do more then great. You can do a 1g/pound, it will work, but you might sacrifice some muscle.

Why would you take 6 scoops of whey protein a day??? dont you eat meat or anything?? Whey should be for pre and post workout, all other meals should be whole food. You can have a protein shake here and there along the day... but dont live off it.

protein from meat, eggs, whey, fish, nuts.... Limit carbs to fruit, green veggies, brown rice, oats, sweet potato ect. Fats - fish, nuts, olive oil, meat.

If your trying to loose fat you should save your starchy carbs for before and after workouts, and eat veggies and fruit the rest of the day.

always
Eat every 3 hours
Eat within an hour of waking up
Have lean protein with every meal
Have some sort of green veggie with every meal, even a small amount
train hard.

1997GSR
12-31-2008, 12:55 PM
Haha... 3 grams per body weight. :rofl:

1 gram/per lb is a good rule to shoot for. I take a scoop when I wake up and before I goto bed, in addition to my before/after workout shakes. You should never use your protein supplements as a substitute for natural foods. Eat good foods high in protein and then be sure to take your supplements in addition. Don't go overboard with the sups.

edit: If you don't already have a rice steamer, pick one up!

bball2
01-01-2009, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by oster
Rule is usually 3grams for every pound, so you should have around 550-600g per day.

With your body type diet is the key. You shouldnt base your protein intake solely on protein powder. Add some natural foods that are high in protein into your diet.

edit: 2-3g per pound, depending on what training you are doing, ince your case I would go with 2g/lb and up the cardio

Yea....Nooooooooooooo, definitely 1-1.5g per pound.
Are you sure you are not thinking of 2-3g for every kg?

ragu
01-01-2009, 05:10 AM
kk....I searched up on it, you need 1.2 to 1.5g/lb every day. If you are someone who goes ape shit when it comes to bodybuilding then its 2g/lb but never have I heard 3g...

liquidboi69
01-01-2009, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by shakalaka
I must take 6 scoops a day?
Yes 1g/lb+ is generally the rule people follow. 6 scoops is a lot of protein intakes in shakes.

Try to get most of your protein from solid food. Shakes are really just to "supplement" your diet if there is absolutely no way you can get that nourishment in. There is also a saying that only 30-45g/protein can be digested properly in a sitting.

So I weigh 165lb, i normally divide my intake roughly like this:

8am Breakfast: 15 grams from eggs
11am Early morning lunch: 15 grams from chicken
12pm Pre-workout shake: 30 grams from shake
2pm Post-workout shake: 30 grams from shake
3pm Post-workout meal: 30 grams from tuna
6pm Supper: 30 grams from chicken/beef
9pm: 30 grams from shake
11pm: 15 grams from cottage cheese

This is slightly above 1g/lb. Hard for me to get more...but I try.

pinoyhero
01-01-2009, 09:57 AM
I'll chime in here...

The amount of protien you should be taking in depend on how active you are. For the average guy who trains 1 hour a week (which I know seems like nothing but is the average given how many peeps dont train at all), you shoudn't be taking in 1g ber lb of body weight. But if you are training with a regular regiment 3 on 1 off or 5 on 2 off type thing then you should be taking in 1.2ish gs of protein per lb of body weight.

However, and this is a big however, you should not be thinking of this as number of shake rather broekn down into real food. Here's my typical day ...

6AM breaky - 4 eggs, 1 chicken spolumbos sausage, 1 cup of blueberries
10:30 - 2 Chicken breasts (or equivalent meat), 2 cups of spinach
14:00 - 1 can of Tuna, an apple and a 1/2 cup of almonds
17:30 - Large piece of salmon (or meat equivalent) - about the size of my fist maybe a touch bigger - 1 cup of brocoli - 1/2 cup of strawberries

Daily water intake is about 1 gallon

I'm 165 and train religiously 3 on 1 off with crossfit and follow a fairly strict paleo diet ... no starch carbs (rice, bread, pasta, potatoes), no dairy, no sugar

natejj
01-01-2009, 10:22 AM
If my goal is to drop weight, should I be taking protein shakes after my workout? Doing 30-45 minutes of Cardio then 30 minutes of low weight, high rep weights.

pinoyhero
01-01-2009, 02:39 PM
^ This goes to you and all others ... skip the shakes and other supps unless you simply can't get down enough food or are a Darkane type who's training extremely serious and absolutely needs the extra intake. Eat meat and veggies gents.

Darkane
01-01-2009, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
^ This goes to you and all others ... skip the shakes and other supps unless you simply can't get down enough food or are a Darkane type who's training extremely serious and absolutely needs the extra intake. Eat meat and veggies gents.

Thanks for the Props :)

Work actually limits how effectively I can train, but I do my best. I'm actually starting a cut diet tomorrow, so my protein intake will be coming down.

1g/lb is what's needed for heavy lifting, 2g/lb is what's most effective. That's my experience anyway.

CivicTunr
01-01-2009, 10:59 PM
hey darkane, since you seem the most knowledgeable.
how come people do it off simply body weight and not lean muscle?

it seems a little strange for someone who is 6'0 and weighs 200lbs w/ bodyfat of 7% and someone who is 6'0 and weighs 200lbs w/ bodyfat of 20% to have the same intake.

They should be having different intakes, no?

kutt3r
01-02-2009, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by CivicTunr

it seems a little strange for someone who is 6'0 and weighs 200lbs w/ bodyfat of 7% and someone who is 6'0 and weighs 200lbs w/ bodyfat of 20% to have the same intake.

Caloric intake should always be calculated from LBM.

186lbs vs 160lbs in your example.

I dunno about Darkane, but when I have run high protien 1.5g+ I usually add a fibre supp.

copynpaste
01-02-2009, 03:25 PM
My daily protein intake is roughly 200g a day....about half from whey.

Darkane
01-02-2009, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by CivicTunr

No, I'm far from the most knowledgeable lol.

Anyway, I read somewhere about that actually, don't quite remember what it said.

However, someone who is 20% will not be bulking therefore protein intake would be lower then someone who is 7% most likely bulking.

Make sense? You don't strive for 2g/lb when cutting.

civic_rida
01-02-2009, 09:17 PM
I read you should go by the number of grams per lean body mass

Darkane
01-03-2009, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by civic_rida
I read you should go by the number of grams per lean body mass

Truth is need and most effective are two different things. It's only food, everyone should try high protein. if it doesn't work don't do it. I got a funny feeling it might though ;)

While cutting on a caloric deficit, 1g/lb lean body mass will not hold onto muscle unless you have fucking amazing genetics and can cut or grow by just looking at the weights.

Charles Poliquin says 2g/lb and he's one of the winning est Olympic coaches currently. He also does other sports too, and wins :)