PDA

View Full Version : International Engine of the Year Awards

Yellow_Fly_Red
05-29-2002, 12:14 AM
http://en.carpoint.msn.ca/Browse/win_4021419.asp?src=Home&pos=Edit1

BMW and Honda
shine in 2002
'Engine Oscars'

STUTTGART, Germany - BMW and Honda executives celebrated on May 15 as several of their products dominated the Fourth Annual International Engine of the Year Awards ceremony, held at Engine Expo 2002 in Stuttgart, Germany.
The International Engine of the Year Awards 2002 were voted for by a panel of 40 top automotive journalists from 18 countries including the US, France, the UK, South Africa, Australia and Canada.

Canadian journalists took part in the voting process for the first time this year. Its representatives on the jury were David Booth, Editor and Publisher of Autovision magazine, and MSN Carpoint Canada Editor Marc Lachapelle.

Technology and engineering
The awards results saw the German and Japanese brands BMW and Honda each win four of the 11 individual categories. BMW's 3-litre and 3.2-litre units topped their respective classes for the second year running, and Honda's hybrids, including the new Civic 1.3-litre IMA, took three trophies. The Japanese carmaker's fourth prize was scooped by the S2000's 2-litre.

The success of BMW and Honda meant just three other marques - General Motors, Toyota, and PSA Peugeot-Citroën - collected trophies in 2002.

General Motors representatives were delighted to learn that their bold AUTOnomy hydrogen-powered vehicle concept, unveiled at the last North American International Auto Show in Detroit, had trumped the likes of Mercedes-Benz's Necar 5 and BMW's Hydrogen 7-Series to take home the Best Concept trophy.

Toyota's 1.8-litre VVTL-i four-cylinder engine bowled judges over with its blend of power and economy. PSA Peugeot-Citroën, the French company renowned for its diesel expertise, took the 2- to 2.5-litre class with its 2.2-litre HDi direct-injection diesel, beating competition from rivals such as Volvo, Mercedes-Benz, and Volkswagen.

Motoren indeed
But at the end of the day, it was BMW's staff who wore the biggest smiles. As well as triumphing in four Awards categories, the Bavarians scooped the coveted International Engine of the Year 2002 title for a second consecutive year - the crown (won by the M3's 3.2-litre in 2001) went to the 4.4-litre V8 housed in the range-topping 745i.

The judges said this 325-horsepower Double VANOS and Valvetronic-equipped unit is "smooth, throttle-responsive and throaty, it lifts the technology of big-capacity petrol engines to another plateau", characteristics that have earned BMW the right to say once again that it builds the best engine in the world.

Editor's Note : The International Engine of the Year Awards 2002 are presented by industry magazine Engine Technology International, published by UK & International Press, a British company that receives no advertising or financial support from any car manufacturer or distributor.

Here are the winners for 2002
Overall and in the eleven awards categories:

International Engine of The Year
BMW 4.4-litre V8 Valvetronic ( 745i)

Best Fuel Economy
Honda hybrid 1-litre IMA ( Insight)

Best Concept
GM AUTOnomy

Best New Engine 2002

Best Above 4.0-litre

Best 3.0-litre to 4.0-litre
BMW 3.2-litre ( M3, M Roadster, M Coupé)

Best 2.5-litre to 3.0-litre
BMW 3-litre ( Z3, 330i, 530i, X5)

Best 2.0-litre to 2.5-litre
PSA Peugeot-Citroën 2.2-litre HDi
(Citroën C5, Peugeot 406, 607)

Best 1.8-litre to 2.0-litre
Honda 2-litre ( S2000,)

Best 1.4-litre to 1.8-litre
Toyota 1.8-litre VVTL-i
( Celica GT-S, Matrix XRS, Pontiac Vibe GT)

Best 1-litre to 1.4-litre
Honda hybrid 1.3-litre IMA (Civic Hybrid)

Best Sub 1-litre
Honda hybrid 1-litre IMA ( Insight)

James
05-29-2002, 03:47 AM
Thats kinda Ironic, A friend of mine at work was arguing with me the other day, saying that Honda made the best engines in the World, and I said no way it is BMW for sure!:p Guess its a tie!:)

rage2
05-29-2002, 08:33 AM
The S2000 2.0L I4 and the M3 3.2L I6 won awards? They're the 2 most common "self destruct" engines =).

bol
05-29-2002, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by rage2
The S2000 2.0L I4 and the M3 3.2L I6 won awards? They're the 2 most common "self destruct" engines =).

Hey BMW is working on a fix! At least they're honoring the warranty. BTW, the most common cause of self destruct on the new 3.2L is over-rev and inproper break-in.

ninspeed
05-29-2002, 09:03 AM
where is the gmc 3.1l and 2.8l???? now thats an engine :) HA HA HA.. 200 000km self destruct

rage2
05-29-2002, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by bol
Hey BMW is working on a fix! At least they're honoring the warranty. BTW, the most common cause of self destruct on the new 3.2L is over-rev and inproper break-in.

Honda's being pretty good with warranty too. BMW blamed over-rev for their destruction, but when the SMG came out and their engines still blew... (SMG can't overrev). As for improper break-in, any engine sold that can't be driven hard off the lot without destroying itself should not be released to the public. BMW has no way of controlling how the consumer will use their product unless they put in electronic safeguards (ie 5000rpm limit until 1000miles or something).

bol
05-29-2002, 10:28 AM
You have to remember rage2 that a lot of people are getting into the new M3 and driving it off the lot with 15miles on the odo and reving to 7600rpm for extended periods of time. The M cars have a 1500mile service for a reason(break in oils in engine and rear diff.) While I'm not denying that there isn't a problem or something wrong (which there obviously is) I'm just saying that if people were a bit more careful with how they treated an $80k car with a high performance engine that the failure rates would be a lot less. In the end though it's their money!

RiceCake
05-29-2002, 11:32 AM
:bigpimp: i follow proper break-in :thumbsup:

but yeah ppl who do go out and buy new cars to rag in should do so after a propper break in... I mean its quite a big investment to buy a M3 or any bimmer... :(

rage2
05-29-2002, 11:42 AM
That's what warranties are for =).

ScCab
05-29-2002, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by rage2
That's what warranties are for =).

man I can't even afford a car with warranty:(

speedracer
05-29-2002, 11:49 AM
I got my car and in 1 week put 1000 km so I could be on the track and run my first event....:rofl:

So far all is good :D Only problem I had was 2 rear blown konis. But that was under warranty during the first 3 months.

Now at +60K the engine still purrs :) Then again maintenace is pretty high on my list.