PDA

View Full Version : got a ticket in BC

ottamania
12-31-2008, 05:55 PM
I was goin to Vancouver and got cought doin 126 on hi-way 1. . on the ticket it says speed receptive to conditions. usually they would put down the speed but he didnt. fine is 167.00 There was car in front of me when my radar detector when on. Any suggestions. Cop also told me that this ticket will take couple of points off my licence. he was a dick type of cop as usual... :guns:

Any suggestions? Should i try to fight it or just say fuck it and pay. Anybody had similar situation?

BlackArcher101
12-31-2008, 06:12 PM
Doesn't look like a typical speeding ticket as it seems to be a flat fine for going faster than conditions allow. You can get this ticket even going under the max limit but still are going to fast for the road conditions.

This would be hard to beat I'm guessing.

SikAssR1
12-31-2008, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by ottamania
I was goin to Vancouver and got cought doin 126 on hi-way 1. . on the ticket it says speed receptive to conditions. usually they would put down the speed but he didnt. fine is 167.00 There was car in front of me when my radar detector when on. Any suggestions. Cop also told me that this ticket will take couple of points off my licence. he was a dick type of cop as usual... :guns:

Any suggestions? Should i try to fight it or just say fuck it and pay. Anybody had similar situation?

Welcome to B.C. where the RCMP are the king of Douche.

I would probably just pay it, unless you want to make a trip out here again.

TACO.VIDAL
12-31-2008, 06:55 PM
welcome to police 101

Originally posted by SikAssR1

Welcome to B.C. where the RCMP are the king of Douche.

I would probably just pay it, unless you want to make a trip out here again.

2BLUE
12-31-2008, 07:54 PM
I have a $500 ticket there from last year and still not on my alberta licence and unpaid. ICBC keeps writting me letters saying i owe them money.

Zero102
12-31-2008, 07:59 PM
You won't get any points. They do not transfer between provinces. You can elect not to pay the ticket if you never want to drive in BC again, but for most people the choice is to just pay it.

You can try to fight it if you want to make a trip out there in a few months to go to court, but usually that will cost more than the ticket.

ottamania
01-01-2009, 01:01 AM
nough said. i ll pay the ticket and done with it. Eventually I am gonna move there. I get 25.00 off if i pay in 30 days.

thnx for the input and happy new years to everybody

Kloubek
01-01-2009, 01:21 AM
Yeah, good choice. If you plan to visit or live there, you truly are better off just paying it.

If I were to get a ticket in say... Nova Scotia, I probably would not bother.

RY213
01-01-2009, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Yeah, good choice. If you plan to visit or live there, you truly are better off just paying it.

Please explain this.

Years ago I got a $300 speeding ticket and a $75 ticket for tint in BC. I paid the speeding ticket and ignored the tint ticket and I never heard a thing about it again. Looking back I wish I didnt pay both tickets :dunno:

ottamania
01-01-2009, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek

Yeah, i lived in Halifax 5 years. I got a speeding ticket and didnt pay it. notin happened. I didnt have a canadian licence back than tho. I was rolling with my international one. I am not planing on living in Halifax again :barf:

Kloubek
01-01-2009, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by RY213

Please explain this.

Not much to explain. Driving infractions are handed out on a provincial juristiction basis. So if I visited Nova Scotia and got a ticket, but never planned to go back, I simply would not pay it. There is nothing they can do about it, and it doesn't do anything like say... effect your credit.

BUT, if I ever went back and got pulled over again, it is possible there might be a warrant for my arrest. Something I would not risk.

dannie
01-01-2009, 01:10 PM
^ You are right in a way.

There are so many variables with tickets. So I will give the three most common scenarios.

I go to B.C. and get a speeding ticket while holding an AB drivers licence.

This ticket will go one of three ways.

1. If I am a habitual offender. So, we are talking a lot of tickets and a suspension or two in my driving history; Alberta has the right to pull the ticket here. Which means I still have to pay it in BC, but it will show on my AB drivers abstract as an out of province ticket.

2. If I am not habitual, and AB doesn't care about it; BC has to deal with it. BC in particular uses a collections agency for out of province offenders (NCO Financial Services to be exact). NCO will then harrass you for the ticket. Then it will affect your credit.

3. If the cop drops the ball and does not register it properly with the court in the jurisdiction that you got the ticket in, it will simply show on file that you were in BC and were not licenced. Nothing happens at that point.

I have seen all three of those scenarios. Scenario 1 is becoming more and more common. Especially with habitual offenders that are from BC and have moved to AB.

johnboy27
01-01-2009, 10:03 PM
I had fines in Nova Scotia before I moved here and I was told by the registries of motor vehicles that if I did not pay them before I switched my liscense to AB I would end up having to pay all the fines and any other fees threw Nova Scotia online and then wait for them to release my liscense before I could get an AB liscense. The other route I could take is to start over completely in AB and start as a graduated driver.

dannie
01-01-2009, 10:46 PM
^ You cant. AB registries has a reciprocal agreement with all the provinces and a few countries. If you have a licence in any of those jurisdictions, you cant simply start over. Alberta has a duty to check all those jurisdictions and prove that you were never licenced there. If you were licenced in any of the reciprocal jurisdictions, you have to take care of anything owing in that province. Until you do, you will not get an AB licence, even if you WANT to start over again.

johnboy27
01-01-2009, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by dannie
^ You cant. AB registries has a reciprocal agreement with all the provinces and a few countries. If you have a licence in any of those jurisdictions, you cant simply start over. Alberta has a duty to check all those jurisdictions and prove that you were never licenced there. If you were licenced in any of the reciprocal jurisdictions, you have to take care of anything owing in that province. Until you do, you will not get an AB licence, even if you WANT to start over again.
This was about 3.5 years ago and it is what the registries worker told me. I didn't want to start over anyway, I wasn't throwing away 13 years of driving experience.

dannie
01-01-2009, 10:59 PM
I dont doubt it. The shitty thing is that so many registry agents are not properly trained and give out info like that. The system we currently have has been in play since 1995. So nothing has changed. Just another pathetic registry clerk that didnt know the difference.

The problem with that clerk not knowing the difference is that it would make your life hell for a while.

If you had taken her up on her suggestion and started over, the gov would have caught it the next morning. From there, because you started over in AB, your licence in your home jurisdiction would get suspended for unauthorized drivers licence in another canadian jurisdiction. From there, AB registries cancels your licence here and your home jurisdiction wont help you until you clear up the suspension (which is a money grab btw). Once you clear up the suspension, you have to pay whatever is owing. Now back in AB, they have realized that you have money owing there, which means they now have cancelled your AB licence and you get to pay alllllllll over again here.

Frustrating eh?? :D

RY213
01-01-2009, 11:01 PM
What kind of statute of limitations is there for an oop ticket?

dannie
01-01-2009, 11:03 PM
As far as finding you to pay it or as far as you getting notice and having to pay it?

Iqoair
01-01-2009, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by 2BLUE
I have a $500 ticket there from last year and still not on my alberta licence and unpaid. ICBC keeps writting me letters saying i owe them money.

ICBC will send your ticket to collections and screw with your credit as well. They are nasty if you don't pay.

a social dsease
01-02-2009, 04:41 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. I got a ticket in August 07 for going 21 over near Kimberley, it was around $150. Well I "lost" the ticket, never paid it, and I haven't heard anything at all from the cops. So far so good.

futurecivic
01-02-2009, 09:52 PM
i got a ticket in july 07 139km/h just outside golden and i havent heard anything from icbc or the collection agency and i just got my credit report for equifax 2 weeks ago and didnt show anything:dunno:

TYMSMNY
01-02-2009, 11:13 PM
There was car in front of me when my radar detector when on.

Aren't radar detectors in BC illegal?

Zero102
01-03-2009, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by RY213
What kind of statute of limitations is there for an oop ticket?

Do you even know what a statute of limitations is?

As for the credit score comment usually tickets won't end up affecting your credit score, but the BC government can make your life a pain, and if you don't pay it for long enough, they can confiscate your vehicle if you drive in BC again.

As for the radar detectors question, no they are not illegal, they are just fine to own and use in BC.

Augustine
01-06-2010, 02:26 PM
I received a ticket for driving without insurance in BC eleven years ago. We moved days later out of province and didn't hear a thing from ICBC for eleven years. Just got contacted by ICBC's collection agency (NCO Financial Services) demanding payment immediately. So it might just be a matter of time. Apparently they are relentless.

01RedDX
03-24-2016, 03:51 PM