PDA

View Full Version : Only one wheel spinnin'

funkedelic2
12-31-2008, 08:57 PM
Since being hit with huge amount of snow, residential roads have not yet been cleaned up which has caused for some of the shittiest roads i have seen in this city.

I got stuck 4 times on my block simply because i had to stop. I was alone but luckily people helped me out each time. Unfortunately the last time i got going but then the car just went sideways, the car looked like it was drifting in slow motion for about half a block. I stopped because i realized that there was something wrong. I got out and while i was giving it gas again i noticed that only one of my wheels spins!

I had to leave it there because there was no more hope. I Spent over an hour just trying to get it into the alley so i could park it in the garage. Now there is a tow truck coming to move it because it is just parked on the street.

I'm just wondering what would cause one of the tires not to move. Maybe i fucked up the car. I knew i should have bought winter tires.

This is on Crown vic by the way. Any help here?

sr20s14zenki
12-31-2008, 08:58 PM
Its most likely an open differential...which is normal...wheel with least resistance spins. You didnt do anything, its just nature of the rear end...get better tires.

corsvette
12-31-2008, 09:00 PM
nomal,your car does not have a positrac diff,so only one tire spins,mostly the tire with the least amount of traction gets the power.

funkedelic2
12-31-2008, 09:14 PM
Ah good to know, didn't know that. It's bad out though, i have seen over a dozen people around here get stuck. I'll just have to park it and wait until either the snow melts or the roads get cleared up. Thanks for help, i thought i had fucked up something since i was beating on the car so bad trying to get out of the snow so many times.

5fivespeed
12-31-2008, 09:33 PM
Driving with open-diff isn't that bad - I drive everyday with the Corolla and it has one. Just gotta be light on the gas :D

Redlyne_mr2
12-31-2008, 09:39 PM
^^^ try driving a rolla with an LSD its a whole different car.. best investment ever.

5fivespeed
12-31-2008, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
^^^ try driving a rolla with an LSD its a whole different car.. best investment ever.

That comes in summer :D

tentacles
12-31-2008, 09:43 PM
M3s have limited slip differentials that prevent this. You should drive the M3 in the winter and the P71 in the summer. :thumbsup:

95teetee
12-31-2008, 09:54 PM
only 1/4 of the tires driving?
Pity:D

funkedelic2
12-31-2008, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by 5fivespeed
Driving with open-diff isn't that bad - I drive everyday with the Corolla and it has one. Just gotta be light on the gas :D

i also have a corolla, the thing is a trooper it never gets stuck in anything. The tow truck guy tried getting it out where it was stuck as well and no luck. He told me that he had been doing that all day and that my car was the only one that he couldnt get lose.

The traction control light was just going crazy too which was making it harder to get traction because it kept going on.

It took me about half an hour to get it in the garage after he dropped me off. He was going to just park it in there for me but my fucking neighbour had his car in the way in the alley.

I wont be driving that car for a while, fucking ruined my new years eve lol

funkedelic2
12-31-2008, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by 95teetee
only 1/4 of the tires driving?
Pity:D

haha its days like this that i wish i would have bought a suburu

5000Audi
12-31-2008, 11:13 PM
i got 4 tires spinning if i get stuck.. diff lock quattro FTW.. its awsome.. yeah my road is a slight incline and sooo many people get stuck.. i laugh when i look out my windows.. as i get in my car and drive up them no problem..!!!

whiskas
12-31-2008, 11:52 PM
It's called peg legging, open diffs represent.

canuckcarguy
01-01-2009, 12:56 AM
some weight in the trunk wouldn't hurt, along with some winter tires...

CelicaST-162
01-01-2009, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by funkedelic2

LOL, it's so ironic! Your intended winter vehicle can't take you where you need to go in the winter.:D

LilDrunkenSmurf
01-02-2009, 11:17 AM
DCCD FTW.

hehehe

Sucks to hear you got stuck. I'm assuming you have winters on it?

CMW403
01-02-2009, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by funkedelic2

and days like this that you wish you knew how to spell subaru

Barlow
01-02-2009, 11:54 AM
My subaru got stuck, and it only had one wheel spinning.... any thoughts?

Towona
01-02-2009, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Barlow
My subaru got stuck, and it only had one wheel spinning.... any thoughts?

What year/model?

Barlow
01-02-2009, 01:12 PM
2009 wrx 265

I'm a little surprised myself