PDA

View Full Version : Fish Sauce

smc
01-01-2009, 12:36 PM
Can this be purchases at any big box Grocery stores or do I need to go down to a specialty Asian Grocer?

Thanks

nonlinear
01-01-2009, 12:39 PM
i would think they have it at superstore, but i'm not sure

BoS_DC2
01-01-2009, 12:41 PM
They'd have some at Superstore but I'd goto those specialty asian stores (exclu. T&T). They'll have more variety, you'll need to buy one that wreaks havoc to your nose.

diamondedge
01-01-2009, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by BoS_DC2
They'd have some at Superstore but I'd goto those specialty asian stores (exclu. T&T). They'll have more variety, you'll need to buy one that wreaks havoc to your nose.

And makes your house smell the Asian-est.

dj_rice
01-01-2009, 01:33 PM
Fish sauce doesn't actually reek as bad until you microwave or cook with it :drool:

EK 2.0
01-01-2009, 01:43 PM
mmmm nookmum....

dj_rice
01-01-2009, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
mmmm nookmum....

Why didnt you use babelfish to translate it....:rofl: :rofl:

jwslam
01-01-2009, 02:20 PM
the stuff you get with your viet vermicelli isn't the stuff that comes out of the bottle that says "fish sauce"

they prepare it. i have no idea how though haha

as for nookmum it's supposed to be nước mắm

edit: i think you're looking for this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C6%B0%E1%BB%9Bc_ch%E1%BA%A5m

BigDannyCool
01-01-2009, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by jwslam
the stuff you get with your viet vermicelli isn't the stuff that comes out of the bottle that says "fish sauce"

they prepare it. i have no idea how though haha

as for nookmum it's supposed to be nước mắm

edit: i think you're looking for this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C6%B0%E1%BB%9Bc_ch%E1%BA%A5m

you can actually buy the prepared stuff in a bottle. It's not too bad either.

EK 2.0
01-01-2009, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice

Why didnt you use babelfish to translate it....:rofl: :rofl:

didn't need to this time...And you have to give me props for trying to translate the nammer haha...

JRSC00LUDE
01-01-2009, 04:07 PM
It's easy to prepare if we're talking fish sauce for noodle bowls and spring rolls, etc.. Brown some white sugar in a pot and then add water and then fish sauce to taste. Done.

dj_rice
01-01-2009, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
It's easy to prepare if we're talking fish sauce for noodle bowls and spring rolls, etc.. Brown some white sugar in a pot and then add water and then fish sauce to taste. Done.

Correct to some extent but your missing the acid part of the recipe in the form of lime juice or vinegar AND the slivers of marinated carrots

smc
01-01-2009, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the help, picked up some fish sauce at Superstore, very inexpensive. Used it on a bok choy stir fry and it was very good.

I imagine that fish sauce should keep quite a while, I hope so since the bottle was huge.

BigDannyCool
01-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by smc
Thanks for the help, picked up some fish sauce at Superstore, very inexpensive. Used it on a bok choy stir fry and it was very good.

I imagine that fish sauce should keep quite a while, I hope so since the bottle was huge.

that stuff could probably sit in the pantry for years

dj_rice
01-01-2009, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by BigDannyCool

that stuff could probably sit in the pantry for years

Thats if your not Nammer :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: a bottle lasts us like 2-3 months

Instead of salt, use fish sauce to flavor ur food :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

yue
01-02-2009, 04:55 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice

Thats if your not Nammer :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: a bottle lasts us like 2-3 months

Instead of salt, use fish sauce to flavor ur food :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
damn man, you are a true nammer fob. i barely ever touch that bottle.:rofl:

yoda124
01-02-2009, 07:56 AM
this is what I do:Pour water in a small jar.Add some fish sauce.Then sugar,then some vinegar.Juggle the sugar and vinegar around until you get the desired taste.For an added kick add a chopped red chili pepper and some crushed garlic.The leftover sauce can stay in the fridge for up to 3 months.Buy a whole bag of manila clams from T&T and steam them.Dip them in the fish sauce as finger food and enjoy.Man I tell ya it is soooo good.:drool:

stevieo
01-02-2009, 01:59 PM
boil water, stir in a bowl with sugar. add shit load of fish sauce, add lots of lime, chopped up chilli peppers and garlic, throw in some pickled carrots. damn good stuff!