http://dmzwww2.gov.calgary.ab.ca/fairshare/script/asmt_SearchOptions.asp

01RedDX
01-02-2009, 01:39 PM

TACO.VIDAL
01-02-2009, 01:43 PM
My place dropped about 7.5%.

dino_martini
01-02-2009, 01:43 PM
I dont know if my parents property went up or dropped. But fuck they are still worth a lot of money. $450,000...thats a ton of money.

jus_sum_guy
01-02-2009, 01:48 PM
$6000 drop on my property.

Parents property went up by $150,000!!!

kenny
01-02-2009, 01:51 PM
Great map to see where your community stands. Shows the tax change for 2009 for City of Calgary:

http://www.calgary.ca/docgallery/bu/assessment/2009_map.pdf

Residents in Scarboro are gonna be pissed. They lost the West LRT battle and will have to face the "ugly elevated tracks", and their property tax will go up the most. :rofl:

C4S
01-02-2009, 01:55 PM
FU_K !!!!

What the FU_K !!

Why my house .. went up 50% ?? (even my neighbor has rised a lots .. )

I think this yr .. all house price has dropped .. 15% plus??

:banghead: :banghead: :whipped: :whipped:

max_boost
01-02-2009, 01:56 PM
I am down 1.5% lol

max_boost
01-02-2009, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by C4S
FU_K !!!!

What the FU_K !!

lol

Tax the rich!

TACO.VIDAL
01-02-2009, 01:59 PM
Interesting to see the ones that went up.

Im guessing they were likely relatively undervalued in the past assessments.
Kelvin Grove and Chinook Park are interesting. I have family in each of those and have always thought theyre great neighbourhoods with decent prices even after the boom in prices.

Originally posted by kenny
Great map to see where your community stands. Shows the tax change for 2009 for City of Calgary:

http://www.calgary.ca/docgallery/bu/assessment/2009_map.pdf

TACO.VIDAL
01-02-2009, 02:00 PM
What neighbourhood are you in?

Originally posted by C4S
FU_K !!!!

What the FU_K !!

sk8r3124
01-02-2009, 02:02 PM
Damn, my parents in Oakridge is at close to $1 M

C4S
01-02-2009, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

lol

Tax the rich!

But I look at MLS listing .. price is way lower in my area now .. at least 20% less then 2007 .. and that is just asking price .. I am sure the actual selling price is even lower ..

I dont live in anything close to highend area as well .. just SW ..

Let me check my in law place .. ( just few min away )

Will appeal for sure .. :banghead:

Oh .. just check .. even my in law ... thier assessment has rised 20% too .. :(

Z_Fan
01-02-2009, 05:12 PM
Mine went down $21000.00 which is BS.

The value is still way way way too high. ;)

Xtrema
01-02-2009, 07:56 PM
+$80k

+$30K

I got a feeling lots of complaint this year

Tik-Tok
01-02-2009, 08:11 PM
Down 9.4%.

Meh. Offset the tax hike a little anyways. Personally I think I'm in a very underrated neighborhood too. I mean a 10 min drive downtown in traffic is nothing to sneeze at these days.

Khyron
01-02-2009, 10:14 PM
Down 50K or just over 10%. Increase this year is what - 5%?

Jeremiah
01-03-2009, 12:01 AM
Last year $256,000
This year $232,000

Bought last year at less than what its at this year, so we're still on top :S

prae
01-03-2009, 02:15 AM
down a third of a percent.

prae
01-03-2009, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by TACO.VIDAL
Interesting to see the ones that went up.

Im guessing they were likely relatively undervalued in the past assessments.
Kelvin Grove and Chinook Park are interesting. I have family in each of those and have always thought theyre great neighbourhoods with decent prices even after the boom in prices.

kelvin grove, chinook park, scarboro... all areas facing major increases in taxation... all areas featuring major transit oriented development?

We looked at a pretty killer bungalow on a bigass pie lot in Kelvin grove. Awesome location, walking distance to the train. Better half didnt like it that much.

C4S
01-03-2009, 12:03 PM
:banghead: :banghead:

Just double checked ..

My house .. assessment went up 37% .. and my inlaw's assessment went up 22% .. and my uncle's (which is next to my in law ) went up just around 8% ... my previous house .. is about the same .. (+/-) within 20K I think ..

I guess we need to appeal again .. :(

SpoonEK9@STRD
01-03-2009, 01:31 PM
appealing is a bitch, they want proof of how much your neighbors have sold their houses for. They don't consider what's currently on the market.

bastards taxing the shit out of people

TC2002
01-03-2009, 02:14 PM
$30K drop for me. So now it's about what I paid for it, so I'm not sure what to make of this. :confused:

Xtrema
01-03-2009, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by SpoonEK9@STRD
appealing is a bitch, they want proof of how much your neighbors have sold their houses for. They don't consider what's currently on the market.

They will probably take a tougher stand on appeals. The process cost $. Didn't someone say it actually cost $ to file an appeal now?

kaput
01-03-2009, 02:32 PM

kenny
01-03-2009, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

They will probably take a tougher stand on appeals. The process cost $. Didn't someone say it actually cost $ to file an appeal now?

When you do a search for your property on the 2009 Assessment website, one of the details listed is the reassessment fee. Not sure if it differs depending on the property, but it lists $35 on mine.

C4S
01-03-2009, 04:57 PM
Oh shoot ..

We did it 2 yr ago .. forgot if we paid or not .. then last yr .. the assestment was "reasonable" (6 or 7 % increase?) untill now .. :cry:

Xtrema
01-04-2009, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by kenny

When you do a search for your property on the 2009 Assessment website, one of the details listed is the reassessment fee. Not sure if it differs depending on the property, but it lists $35 on mine.

Mine is $30. But I checked all the houses around me and they are all assessed higher even my house has way more upgrades and options. Plus I have a basement "in development" so I'm not about to appeal in case they change the status to "developed".

But if the value went up 20% and tax rate when up 5%, it's going to be over $300 a month on property taxes. That's a mental barrier a bit tough to take.

Khyron
01-04-2009, 11:07 AM
The appeal fee is a percentage of the property value, up to a max of 500 or so (it was uncapped but some businesses would have been in the multi-thousands for an appeal so they just changed it).

And even a 25% increase on a 500K should be 600 a year, not per month. If you're going up 300/month you must have been paying virtually nothing before.

TACO.VIDAL
01-04-2009, 11:11 AM
New Complaint Filing Fee Information for 2009

City Clerk's Office

New fees to file assessment complaints are in effect for the 2009 assessment year as follows:

1. Single Residential (three dwelling units or less) and Farmland Properties: Equaled to one percent of the revenue neutral tax levy calculated from the current year assessment, rounded down to the nearest dollar with a minimum fee of $30 and a maximum fee of $50.
NOTE: For Single Residential (three dwelling units or less) and Farmland Properties, if the filing fee on your 2009 Property Assessment Annual Notice is greater than $50, the correct fee is $50. This is due to a late decision by Alberta Municipal Affairs (made after the Assessment Notices were printed) to cap filing fees for Single Residential (three dwelling units or less) and Farmland Properties at $50. You can check your fee by visiting the Assessment Business Unit /Assessment Values.

2. Non Residential Properties, Multi-Residential (more than three dwelling units) Properties and Machinery and Equipment: Equaled to one percent of the revenue neutral tax levy calculated from the current year assessment, rounded down to the nearest dollar with a minimum fee of $30 and a maximum fee of $650.
NOTE: For Non Residential Properties, Multi-Residential (more than three dwelling units) Properties and Machinery and Equipment, if the filing fee on your on your 2009 Property Assessment Annual Notice is greater than $650, the correct fee is $650. This is due to a late decision by Alberta Municipal Affairs (made after the Assessment Notices were printed) to cap filing fees for Non Residential Properties, Multi-Residential (more than three dwelling units) Properties and Machinery and Equipment at $650. You can check your fee by visiting the Assessment Business Unit /Assessment Values.

3. Business: Equaled to one percent of the revenue neutral tax levy calculated from the current year assessment, rounded down to the nearest dollar with a minimum fee of $30 and a maximum fee of $5,000.

The correct and the entire fee must be paid on the filing of any complaint to the Assessment Review Board or the complaint is not valid as per Section 460 (2) of the Municipal Government Act External Site. . Your complaint will not be filed and will be returned to you unless the required fee accompanies the complaint by the deadline (also noted on the Assessment Notice).

Originally posted by Khyron
The appeal fee is a percentage of the property value, up to a max of 500 or so (it was uncapped but some businesses would have been in the multi-thousands for an appeal so they just changed it).

And even a 25% increase on a 500K should be 600 a year, not per month. If you're going up 300/month you must have been paying virtually nothing before.

Revhard
01-04-2009, 04:01 PM
That's good. The house I just sold is worth what they paid for it in october.
They should feel alright about that.

Xtrema
01-04-2009, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Khyron

$300 total, not the increase.

davidI
01-06-2009, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Revhard
That's good. The house I just sold is worth what they paid for it in october.
They should feel alright about that.

The house I bought 36 days ago is listed $23,500 above what I paid for it. :thumbsup:

No point in challenging as I'm doing renos and it will likely be worth even more than it's currently valued.

FallenAngel
01-06-2009, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by prae

kelvin grove, chinook park, scarboro... all areas facing major increases in taxation... all areas featuring major transit oriented development?

Not sure, if that was true then Scenic Acres would get hit too because of the new C-Train station... unless they are waiting until construction is completed to screw me over.

Crymson
01-07-2009, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by davidI

The house I bought 36 days ago is listed $23,500 above what I paid for it. :thumbsup:

No point in challenging as I'm doing renos and it will likely be worth even more than it's currently valued.

Remember, these assesments are based on July, 2008. Not year end.

davidI
01-07-2009, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Crymson

Judging from current listings in the area, my house has not depreciated 7% since July 08 or 14% since July 07. Especially given my upgrades & renos. To me, that's a win as I'll be paying less tax...

cloud7
01-07-2009, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Crymson

I really believe they should change their assessment period... July is probably one of the months with traditionally higher property value just because of the nature of the real estates market...

kenny
01-07-2009, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by cloud7

I really believe they should change their assessment period... July is probably one of the months with traditionally higher property value just because of the nature of the real estates market...

It doesn't matter as long as they use the same time period each year.

barmanjay
01-07-2009, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by SpoonEK9@STRD

If anyone is going to appeal,.. I've already helped a buddy of mine by digging up an mls sold history of his neighbourhood and he managed to knock off 15k from his assessment last year on his rental condo downtown.

Only takes me about 5-10 mins to get the info (if it's there) and fire it off.

autosm
01-07-2009, 05:48 PM
What is the best avenue to appeal? Comparison to near by properties or to recent solds?

$ per square foot of properties on your street or recent solds?

My neighbors house is 240$ per square foot mine is 277$ per.

His house is in most aspects better. His lot is twice the size as mine and 400 sq feet larger. Mine is a walk out his is not. Both basements not developed.

BerserkerCatSplat
01-07-2009, 05:57 PM
Mine dropped a whopping 1%. Taxes still went up a bit, though...