PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing a used vehicle + Inspection

birchy
01-02-2009, 04:17 PM
Hello all,

I'm looking at purchasing a used vehicle and I'm just wondering whether or not anyone can recommend a good mechanic and/or shop where I could take a vehicle for an inspection before I purchase it?

Vehicle looks excellent on the interior. Exterior has some minor flaws, but it is 6 years old now.

The main thing I'm concerned about is the powertrain. Does anyone know if you can get a complete mechanical inspection done (versus just a safety) and approximately how much it will cost me?

Team_Mclaren
01-02-2009, 04:36 PM
For inspections i usually take it to the dealers if you dont have a familiar shop/garage

birchy
01-02-2009, 04:49 PM
Thanks. Just called the Service # from gotford.com.

Said I'd be looking at ~$300 and 3-4 hours for an inspection that would include a compression test, checking out the tranny, etc.

That'd be a lot of money to spend to subsequently find out that something major needs to be replaced!! I wonder if I can get the seller to pay for it..

Kloubek
01-02-2009, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by birchy
Thanks. Just called the Service # from gotford.com.

Said I'd be looking at ~$300 and 3-4 hours for an inspection that would include a compression test, checking out the tranny, etc.

That'd be a lot of money to spend to subsequently find out that something major needs to be replaced!! I wonder if I can get the seller to pay for it..

In order for a full compression test, etc to be done, it's gonna cost you a bit so $300 doesn't seem completely out of line.

Consider this though: The car is what... a 2003 then? Many vehicles will have come out of their warranty period only a year or two prior. Generally speaking, anything up to that point would have been fixed. So any issues would have only developed in the last one or two years. While it is possible there might be major issues, unless you're buying an economy vehicle, you can expect most vehicles will be built well enough that it's not terribly likely there will be any major issues by this point.

Your call though. The extra $200-$250 you're spending to get a thorough inspection may be money well spent.

birchy
01-02-2009, 05:25 PM
Yeah.. 2003 Ford Expedition.

When I took it for a drive I was sure I heard a slight "ticking" sound coming from the engine.

It reminded me of my grandfathers old mid 1980's Ford F100 pickup. Although it was a straight 6 and that sound was supposedly normal for that engine.

Does anyone know if all 2nd generation Expeditions make that sound?

And just to clarify.. I don't think the $300 is unreasonable.. I'd just be choked if it failed the inspection.. i.e. - just paid $300 for someone else's vehicle basically..

revelations
01-02-2009, 05:37 PM
Check out what AMA charges, they have an inspection facility in the NE i believe

birchy
01-02-2009, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by revelations
Check out what AMA charges, they have an inspection facility in the NE i believe

Great tip, thanks!

Checked out their website and the prices look a bit better.. although 'compression test' does show up in the "additional charges" section:

http://www.ama.ab.ca/cps/rde/xchg/ama/web/everything_auto_Vehicle-Inspections.htm?link=FB

Scope951
01-02-2009, 08:14 PM
At that age a compression test should not be necessary.
If there were any compression problems to begin with you would be able to tell with a test drive.

A simple inspection is a good investment when buying pre-owned vehicles, catch things now when your still negotiating with the seller so that costs can be negotiated.

best of luck!

2000Accord
01-02-2009, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by birchy
Yeah.. 2003 Ford Expedition.

And just to clarify.. I don't think the $300 is unreasonable.. I'd just be choked if it failed the inspection.. i.e. - just paid $300 for someone else's vehicle basically..

I would argue that if it failed inspection, that was the best $300 you could spend as it saved you from a lot more work/cost later.

Also - if you negotiate the purchase price pending a clean inspection, and they find a few minor things wrong, you may be able to use that as leverage for a better price...(the seller may not budge on minor items, but it is worth a try).

Zero102
01-03-2009, 01:07 AM
The ford V8's from that era are known for having both lifter and exhaust header issues. This probably explains your ticking you hear. I know of an issue that affects the F150 which IIRC has the same engine as the expedition of that year. Basically there was a TSB on it that says if the customer complains enough under warranty then replace the affected cylinder head, but once you're out of warranty you are f'd. Some people have complained of failing lifters and other complications from it. Personally I'd stay away, but half of that is me wanting one less tank on the roads.

birchy
01-10-2009, 03:00 PM
Does anyone have any insights into the 'etiquette' around taking someone's vehicle for an inspection before you buy it?

Does the person come with you? Do you leave them some sort of deposit in trust? If you do leave a deposit, how can you make sure they return it if you don't buy?

I've heard of people purchasing vehicles "subject to it passing an inspection". How does that work? You pay for it, but then bring it back and get your money back if it fails?

Moe Man
01-10-2009, 03:59 PM
^ most people will just let you take it yourself. dont go to ford or a big dealership to get an inspection, canadian tire or kal tire is fine, no point of spending huge money on someones vehicle. if there is a major problem any mechanic is going to find it.

dont pay for the vehicle untill you are sure you want it.