PDA

View Full Version : Frost on inside of windshield solution!

Canucks3322
01-02-2009, 04:58 PM
For the past 3 years in Calgary, I've had a problem with frost on the inside of my windows and front windshield on 2 vehicles, a 2002 Explorer and now a 2003 Murano leading me to sit in my car and scrape the insides of my car and cursing this God awful city the entire time, it created A LOT of stress for me as the insides would frost over even if I parked for an hour...I read about this before randomly online and thought I'd try it out and was amazed at how well it works! Just wanted to share with fellow Beyonders because it has saved me so much stress....basically, I just bought a Rubbermaid sandwich tray and filled it with a normal box of baking soda and put it on the dashboard in the windshield, done. Works amazing! :thumbsup:

PS...does anyone know if I have to keep changing the baking soda every month or anything?

03ozwhip
01-02-2009, 05:05 PM
thats prety cool! as far as the baking soda though, i guess i would change it once you see that it starts frosting again.

toastgremlin
01-02-2009, 05:11 PM
Does the front defroster switch not work for you? All the Fords I've sat in have had that setting on the heater, and it seems to work alright.

The baking soda is a good trick though.

chkolny541
01-02-2009, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by toastgremlin
Does the front defroster switch not work for you? All the Fords I've sat in have had that setting on the heater, and it seems to work alright.

The baking soda is a good trick though.

i dont think the problem is that his defroster doesn't work its just that its annoying as hell to have to either

a) sit and wait for the front defroster to get rid of the frost, which typically could take 5-10+ minutes

b)scrape the inside window and make yourself look like an idiot:rofl:

sounds like a cool trick, thanks for the info :thumbsup:

birchy
01-02-2009, 06:43 PM
Just curious.. do you have your vent set to "recirculate" or to take the air in from the outside?

In this cold weather.. having it set to recirculate will almost always frost up the windows on the inside..

kenny
01-02-2009, 06:47 PM
You must fuck in your car alot to build up so much moisture/humidity.

On a more serious note, check your climate control settings. If its on recirculate, switch it back to fresh air mode. If its already on fresh air mode, perhaps something is broken/blocked and fresh air is not making it to the inside of the car.

PGTze
01-02-2009, 06:54 PM
Man baking soda solves just about any problem

SJW
01-02-2009, 06:58 PM
Baking soda takes the "rot" outta crotch

5000Audi
01-02-2009, 07:01 PM
of you know just open your window when you first get into your car....so that your breath goes out the window and there is now more front on the inside...

chkolny541
01-02-2009, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by 5000Audi
of you know just open your window when you first get into your car....so that your breath goes out the window and there is now more front on the inside...

i tried reading this like 3 or 4 times and still cannot understand a good portion of what your trying to say

Isaiah
01-02-2009, 07:11 PM

3WVE106JQoU&NR=1

PGTze
01-02-2009, 07:13 PM

I sort of got that after a few tries, but yeah re-type that in english man.

EK 2.0
01-02-2009, 07:19 PM
front = frost...

And the baking soda seems like it would work...I just crack a window or vent the sunroof overnight when I park the cars...

fortunately I park indoors haha...;)

The Cosworth
01-02-2009, 07:21 PM
my car does this too. All of my buddies who have new cars it does this. People with older cars it doesnt.

I remember reading/hearing somewhere that it was because of the moisture seals in new cars are good that they dont release as much humidity.

Isaiah
01-02-2009, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
front = frost...

That's the least of the issues with that guy's post.

chkolny541
01-02-2009, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah

lol!

and i lold fcking hard "ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER DO YOU SPEAK IT!?"

if this forum had rep i would give you some

EK 2.0
01-02-2009, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah

Agreed...and I am one of the first to jump on users poor English. But in this case he seems to be trying, and offering decent advice haha...

Canucks3322
01-03-2009, 11:47 AM
You guys don't understand lol...nothing worked...all the air circulation settings are correct, the cracking a bit of window after park the truck doesn't work either, I bought the Murano a month ago and there must be a crazy leak somewhere because it starts to frost over in about an hour after I park it...it is BAADDD...so yea, if anyone is having extreme cases of frosting on the inside of their windshield, the baking soda trick works like magic!

black_radiation
01-03-2009, 12:51 PM
Have u ever tried putting your A/C on w/ the heat on? I know it sounds stupid but I have to do it in my trucks and it works great. Never get any fog/frost of any kind. That baking soda trick is pretty cool though. Never heard of it before

Xtrema
01-03-2009, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by black_radiation
Have u ever tried putting your A/C on w/ the heat on? I know it sounds stupid but I have to do it in my trucks and it works great. Never get any fog/frost of any kind. That baking soda trick is pretty cool though. Never heard of it before

Most cars these day will do that when you put it in defrost setting.

black_radiation
01-03-2009, 12:57 PM
Yeah I remember my civic doing that (2000), unfortunately my new trucks don't do that but I wasn't sure if his murano would do it or not.

szw
01-03-2009, 10:51 PM
I'll try the baking soda....my RSX fogs up like crazy and cracking a window or the defrost both work very slowly. I've been saving up those desiccant packets you get with various crap and was planning on hidin them everywhere but in a few weeks I've only collected 3.

Canucks3322
01-03-2009, 11:12 PM
YES, I have tried the A/C on with defroster....good trick for fog, but NOT FROST!...:(

black_radiation
01-03-2009, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Canucks3322
YES, I have tried the A/C on with defroster....good trick for fog, but NOT FROST!...:(

shitty dude, well at least the baking soda trick is working! as obscure as it is lol.

rumeo
01-04-2009, 12:10 AM
you learn something new everyday

5000Audi
01-04-2009, 02:22 AM
oR you know just open your window when you first get into your car....so that your breath goes out the window and there is now more froSt on the inside...

so been some pissy people about my trying SOOO here we go on the Revamp!!!

Well, To add a second option on this fog situation; Just open your window all the way while your internal combustion engine warms up. Once there is some heat in the engine, Turn defrost on the high setting and shut window..

So can people understand that this time?

SCHIDER23
01-04-2009, 06:49 AM
I noticed the frost issue on a rental I'm been driving this week, first time I saw this I was like wtf ...did I leave a window open?, btw this is happening on a 2009 impala.

avow
01-05-2009, 05:02 AM
you can also try using rain-x spray on the inside of your windows. its normally for the outside and acts like wax to wick away water. however i should warn you, dont drive your car right after, you will be high as a kite (i speak from experience)

Tarrantula
01-05-2009, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by avow
you can also try using rain-x spray on the inside of your windows. its normally for the outside and acts like wax to wick away water. however i should warn you, dont drive your car right after, you will be high as a kite (i speak from experience)

HAHAHA I will try that next time I need a quick buzzzzz....

Masked Bandit
01-05-2009, 01:39 PM
I've never seen frost on the inside like that. How the hell do you get that much humidity in there? Do you have floor mats that are soaking wet or something?

Neat trick with the baking soda though.

topmade
01-05-2009, 02:06 PM
Are you a larger overweight person, and/or do you have any symptoms to make your breathing heavier and/or faster then normal people? When the frosting happens is there more then just yourself in the car?

rcw965x
12-14-2009, 02:44 AM
with all the modern car alarms and immobilizers manufacturers are putting in theyre cars, thiefs are finding it harder to steal cars, so the easiest way to steal a car is find one with the keys in the ignition & preferably with the engine running, this is known as "frosting" here in scotland, in the criminal world. heres my tip, if your car is kept on a driveway close to the house, in the winter time when frost is expected, go out at night before bed and run an extension lead from the house into the car, get one of those small fan heaters and place it somewhere in the car a good distance from seats etc, (i put mine under the pedals and slide the drivers seat right back) giving at least 24-25 inches clearance. set fan to slow and heat to high. then when you get up in the morning all you have to do is flick a switch from inside the house then flick the kettle switch and 15 minutes later the windows are clear, the car is nice and warm and with no danger of the car being stolen. you will use less electric in 15 mins than you would petrol so also better for the environment. remember and keep a good distance between heater and flammable material and keep the socket side of the extension inside the car (away from heater).
try it, and be safe.

RickDaTuner
12-14-2009, 04:12 AM
Originally posted by The Cosworth
my car does this too. All of my buddies who have new cars it does this. People with older cars it doesnt.

I remember reading/hearing somewhere that it was because of the moisture seals in new cars are good that they dont release as much humidity.

The issue with interior frost is excess moisture inside the cab, most of which can be found in your floor mats.
When your car starts to do this you need to dry the inside out. This can be hard during the really snowy days because you just keep tracking all that moisture in.

Baking soda works because it is hygroscopic, meaning that it attracts moisture.
Same principle in your fridge with smells, bacteria needs moisture to grow and its that bacteria that causes odors.
Frost needs moisture to form, and its all that melted snow that you bring in with your feet that causes it.
Baking soda takes out the moisture and prevents the bacteria/fungs, and the frost all in one swoop!

In the future use rubber floor mats, and try to get as much snow off your shoes and self before you get into your car.

johnboy27
12-14-2009, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Canucks3322
The reason you had frost in the first place is due to moisture inside the car when you shut it off. If you run defrost with the AC all the time in the winter this problem will go away. The frost ifs just the moisture freezing to your windshield, maybe give it a try now that the baking soda has gotten rid of the moisture, also never switch to recirculate in the winter always fresh air .

Tik-Tok
12-14-2009, 11:10 AM
People, please look at the post dates. :facepalm:

Danny Meehan
12-14-2009, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by The Cosworth

insulation is bad = fresh air gets inside is the explanation i'd have

yipb
12-15-2009, 12:23 AM
how the hell do u guys bump threads from almost a year ago?

revelations
12-15-2009, 12:44 AM
blame the Scot :poosie:

CUG
12-15-2009, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by SJW
Baking soda takes the "rot" outta crotch Seriously? I'm gonna try that. No more coral reef growing on her genitals.

Supa Dexta
12-15-2009, 01:24 AM
Ignoring the post dates, I get frost build up if I sleep in my truck some nights.. I often just pull over for a couple of hours now and then to sleep in the back, and it will ice up quite a bit.. Just gotta get more heat and air flow to clear it up.. Slept in the truck just a few nights ago, when it was -31.. :nut:

SJW
12-15-2009, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by CUG
Seriously? I'm gonna try that. No more coral reef growing on her genitals.

You ain't right boy.

canuckcarguy
12-15-2009, 11:23 AM
Is your heater core leaking? It's not normal to have that much frost build up inside a vehicle unless there's a source of moisture somewhere. Can you smell coolant? Or do you have a habit of shampooing the carpets often?

EDIT: and okay, a tray of baking soda might actually work, but really, who wants to drive around town with a tray of baking soda on the dashboard?

Mibz
12-15-2009, 11:35 AM
So why does A/C + heat work? What's the science there?

n1zm0
12-15-2009, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
So why does A/C + heat work? What's the science there?

the evaporator in the a/c system will dehumidify the cabin area, in the hot summer it will try and vacate the cabin of hot air, edit: i guess it will do it in the winter too obviously but its a price to pay for quicker defrost.

lol original posting is almost a year old, it's always the gdamned noobs bumping these threads, there should be a note upon making an account here, read original/last posting dates or be hated forever.

kevie88
12-15-2009, 12:23 PM
If someone had made a new post about this everyone would be screaming "SEARCH!!!!!!!!!!"

Tomaz
12-15-2009, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by kevie88
If someone had made a new post about this everyone would be screaming "SEARCH!!!!!!!!!!"

Truth.

I will have to try this baking soda trick. Plus all-weather floor mats. THx for the tips !

atgilchrist
12-15-2009, 12:39 PM
I've got a Murano that lives outside, and have never had that problem.:dunno:

CK4500
12-15-2009, 01:38 PM
My windows never ever frosted up, until this weekend when I made a two hour road trip with a fat fellow in my passenger front seat. That guy emitted so much steam I had the AC cranked, full defrost, and I still only had a small patch of clear glass.

Next time I'll try some baking soad:thumbsup:

getmobile
02-11-2010, 10:06 AM
The reason your windshield freezes up is because of condensation in the vehicle, the reason the baking soda works is because it absorbs the moisture.
A simpler way to solve the problem is to clear the condensation and equalize the temperature inside and outside of your vehicle just before or as soon as you park the car. Do this by opening your car window and turning off your heat as you are approaching your destination to circulate the air in the cabin and equalize the temperature, if you forget to do this no problem, after you park just open your car door and allow the outside air to come inside of your car just long enough for the inside of the car to cool down and dilute the condensation.

Cheers

Moderator Edit: URL removed. Private Sales and Paid Sponsors Only! If you are a business, buy a banner. We offer VERY affordable advertising rates

Tik-Tok
02-11-2010, 10:08 AM
Welcome, our newest forum sponsor!!!

Oh... wait....

ExtraSlow
02-11-2010, 10:24 AM
The spammer is totally right. Let the warm moist air out of your car when you get to your destination, or drive the last 100 yeards with your windows down. If you park somwhere where you won't get snow blown inside, leave the window open a crack.
Calgary in winter is so dry that this 100% operator error.

GQBalla
02-11-2010, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
The spammer is totally right. Let the warm moist air out of your car when you get to your destination, or drive the last 100 yeards with your windows down. If you park somwhere where you won't get snow blown inside, leave the window open a crack.
Calgary in winter is so dry that this 100% operator error.

this.

i always open my window and switch the temp to cold and put the fans on high just before reaching my destination.

getmobile
02-11-2010, 11:30 AM
You could at least give a guy a warning! I saw the http:// button, and didn't think there was a problem with posting it here...won't happen again!

Tik-Tok
02-11-2010, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by getmobile
You could at least give a guy a warning! I saw the http:// button, and didn't think there was a problem with posting it here...won't happen again!

The warning is when you sign up and it tells you to familiarize yourself with the rules of the board.

sputnik
02-11-2010, 12:19 PM
A normal car should not have frost on the inside of the windows.

I suspect that the floor mats and carpet are likely caked with snow and ice. So during the day when its warmer the moisture melts and coats the windows and at night turns to frost.

Probably worth cleaning out the snow and taking a shopvac to the carpets and floor mats on a warmer day.

jacks
11-21-2011, 11:46 AM
I normally leave all four windows open about half and inch. Doesn't always work 100% when it gets really cold but seems to help.

I was thinking about getting those ugly plastic wind deflectors/rain guards put on. So that way I can still roll down my windows when it snows or blustering outside. My concern is that when it is really windy, that they might actually catch the snow get sucked into the car. Essentially defeating the purpose...

As for the baking soda idea. I'm curious as to how much is needed, how long it lasts (or does vary wildly on temperature?) I assume would want a lid so can seal it up when driving around. So doesn't spill everywhere.

Anyone tried rain-x anti fog on the inside? Or is it only meant for usage in places where winter doesn't exist?

Kept mentioning it to the dealership, and they seem to think that the frosting up on the inside was normal. To bad the heater really isn't powerful enough. Since the warranty is up, I'm sure they would love to take my money to tell me the same thing :)

firebane
11-21-2011, 12:16 PM
http://www.buythecase.net/uploads/products/200/3320001710.jpg

or

http://di1-4.shoppingshadow.com/images/pi/3a/d1/9d/107094004-260x260-0-0_arm+and+hammer+arm+and+hammer+products+arm+and+ham.jpg

ExtraSlow
11-21-2011, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by jacks
I normally leave all four windows open about half and inch. Doesn't always work 100% when it gets really cold but seems to help.

I was thinking about getting those ugly plastic wind deflectors/rain guards put on. So that way I can still roll down my windows when it snows or blustering outside. My concern is that when it is really windy, that they might actually catch the snow get sucked into the car. Essentially defeating the purpose...

Leaving the windows open a crack when parked is your best line of defense. If you can, drive the one window open a little as well, epsecially when it's really cold out. Cold outside air is very dry.
Those rain gaurds are great, but if it's windy when it's snowing, or the snow is very fine/dry, it WILL get into your interior. You have to keep your eye on the overnight orecast if you are going to leave your window cracked, even with the gaurds.

Lee Valley sells a few dehumidifying and mosture reduction options. I think they are based on silica gel. That's a fancier version of the box of baking soda.

jacks
11-21-2011, 01:22 PM
That was my exactly when I was concerned about with the rainguards. Was hoping that on days where it was really windy or snowing like crazy, would be able to get into a frost free car :)

I did look into the silica gel. Turns out that the blue/pink stuff can be toxic. So you need to find the orange/green stuff. Also with the desiccant is that anything below room temperature, I've read the effect diminishes greatly as it gets colder. Not to mention the 2 hours in the oven it would take to renew it. Also the area that it actually can dehumidify is very small.

I bought one of the orange bags off ebay for cheap. It was 250g and is only good for 3 cu feet. $10 shipped from hong kong. Decided to try this route (still waiting for delivery to show up) because I had heard that it could microwaved for nly 8 mins. Then I did some more digging, and was told that it would work, but this process degrades the colour changing dye.

What if I put the baking soda in a ziploc freezer bag? I can get a small box for cheap at the dollarstore is all.

My concern is that how long it will last. Or is it more of trial and error? Since obviously wouldn't be leaving the windows open.

"Overnight" doesn't seem to frost up. Then again my car sits out there for 15+ hours :)