PDA

View Full Version : Transmission help: 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee I6 4.0L

Cody D
01-02-2009, 09:35 PM
Hey, I was reading some of the other threads and there was some great advice so I figured I'd throw my problem up here as well.

I have a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the I6 and an auto transmission. The Jeep has no first gear, as soon as you get up to a higher speed it drives great, I had posted on a Jeep forum and they suggested a pressure sensor in the transmission could be bad. It's leaking fluid pretty bad, but when I took it for a drive it was full of transmission fluid.

Any ideas would be great I'm going to try fixing it as soon as I get the energy.

barmanjay
01-03-2009, 02:24 AM
no first?

is your kickdown cable attached?

Can you manually put it into first?

Cody D
01-03-2009, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by barmanjay
no first?

is your kickdown cable attached?

Can you manually put it into first?

I can't say 100% that it's not getting into first gear, the Jeep is really bogged down from a start until you get to about 40km/h then it accelerates and drives normal. It feels like the Jeep is trying to start in second gear.

I don't know what a kickdown cable is, I'll have to look that up.

If I put the gear selector in first it doesn't even move it just revs the engine.

88jbody
01-03-2009, 10:32 AM
sounds like it stuck in 2nd gear "limp mode"

I would fix your transmission leak first, put new fluid and filter in it. and check for codes

Cody D
01-03-2009, 10:57 AM
Is there a better place than the dealership for gaskets? I don't remember any codes up, I'll plug the OBD2 reader in when I can.